Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Hello All

Just getting things together for a solar panel install.

Already got controller
Panel arriving tomorrow.
Ally Angle to be bought and cut tomorrow.
Still need some 6mm cable and gland - probably eBay for that.

Now, I'm planning on using Sikaflex 252 for sticking the ally angle down (to roof of a PVC), and am planning on prepping both surfaces by gentle scuffing and then use Sika 205 cleaner.

My question is - do I need to use a primer, like sika 210- or is that overkill? When researching most people only seem to bother to clean and then straight on with the sikaflex adhesive and no mention of primer.

Thanks for any help.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Obviously totally up to you but when I fitted them recently I took Techno100's advice and used the Sika Primer/cleaner. I'll never know if I needed to use it but I can say the panels are thoroughly stuck on to the roof and no amount of high wind driving conditions has shown/brought about any degree of movement in the panels.
Best of luck
Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When I fitted the Alden sat dish it came supplied with Sikaflex and Sika Activator .. 30ml .. so I used it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You should read the spec sheet for your chosen adhesive. Primer is generally for porous surfaces I believe.
Cleaner Aktivator is not the same thing

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
the man who could most probably give you the best advice would be @Techno100 ..
but if the surfaces are lightly roughed and cleaned then I don't think you would need the primer... ive never used it and I don't use sicka either...just a pu adhesive from soudal or any other reputable make.
ta andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
ah, when I looked your post had no replies so I thought Id give it a bump by posting :)
ta andy.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You are sticking to the paint of your van so just thorough cleaning and light abrasion or more effectively the other way around.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I'm planning on scuffing, then 205, then 252. In fact, at the weekend I got as far as the 252 stage, and then found that I could hardly get any of it out of the cartridge, with my admittedly cheap mastic gun. After a lot of effort, I managed to squeeze out about an inch. It was clear that either the gun or my hands weren't going to last the distance, so I gave up and ordered a stronger gun. I'm also thinking that I need to put the 252 somewhere warm before I try to use it?

Waiting for the new gun and the weather before my next attempt.

Steve

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I'm planning on scuffing, then 205, then 252. In fact, at the weekend I got as far as the 252 stage, and then found that I could hardly get any of it out of the cartridge, with my admittedly cheap mastic gun. After a lot of effort, I managed to squeeze out about an inch. It was clear that either the gun or my hands weren't going to last the distance, so I gave up and ordered a stronger gun. I'm also thinking that I need to put the 252 somewhere warm before I try to use it?

Waiting for the new gun and the weather before my next attempt.

Steve

Hmm, may well have to add a new gun to my shopping list tomorrow, as mine was a)cheap and b)has definitely seen better days.

Looking at trying to get it done this coming weekend as at the moment the weather seems favourable.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Right - I've decided (that's an achievement in itself!)

I am going to skuff, clean with the 205 cleaner and then stick with the 252 adhesive.

Then I'm going to get a man who can to drill a hole in the roof cos I'm chicken!!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Right - I've decided (that's an achievement in itself!)

I am going to skuff, clean with the 205 cleaner and then stick with the 252 adhesive.

Then I'm going to get a man who can to drill a hole in the roof cos I'm chicken!!
We can compare notes afterwards! I'm hoping to do mine on Thursday, if the gun has arrived. Weather doesn't look too bad. I already have a convenient hole, having removed the TV aerial which we don't use.

Steve

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Yes, it does sound a bit extreme, although I was thinking of using the warming oven in our Aga - it's about 60C.

Steve

Only thing we miss about living in the van - the aga.
But it would not work in a warm climate, bad enough in uk summer!
Oh, and the payload!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We had a break in the weather on Sunday, so I stuck my panel down. With the new gun, and warming the Sikaflex 252 a little, it was much easier. It was still quite a bit more effort than sealing a bath with silicon, for example, and it's a very large panel, and I used the best part of 2 tubes, so my hands were starting to ache by the end. We had heavy rain and strong winds about 8 hours after I'd finished, but it doesn't seem to have affected it. I just need to do the wiring inside now.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We had a break in the weather on Sunday, so I stuck my panel down. With the new gun, and warming the Sikaflex 252 a little, it was much easier. It was still quite a bit more effort than sealing a bath with silicon, for example, and it's a very large panel, and I used the best part of 2 tubes, so my hands were starting to ache by the end. We had heavy rain and strong winds about 8 hours after I'd finished, but it doesn't seem to have affected it. I just need to do the wiring inside now.

I've got as far as you - only I did it yesterday. I also warmed the tube in a bowl of water, but again it was still hard going. Thank goodness for the heavy duty sealant gun - there is no way my old one would have coped!

Getting the hole drilled in the roof was a bit scary. Lots of external and internal measurements before the deed was done.

A load of plants that I ordered ages ago turned up last night so getting them planted is this mornings job and then onto the the inner wiring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back