Walking Maps Portugal (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Will be back in Portugal for the winter, need to do some walking.
Does any one know were to get any good walking maps, been told Milatary maps are good? Tryed to get some last year in Portugal but no joy.
Laurie.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I got some from the map shop in Upton On Seven.

They ordered them for me and posted them...

The maps have a Lisbon address on them.

Maybe you can deal with them directly.

20150708_210101.jpg

20150708_210125.jpg

JJ :cool:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You are probably best looking at a GPS which you can load with maps. For example this 1:25K map covers the whole of Portugal. Unfortunately the matching GPS is several hundred pounds.
Broken Link Removed

However, a Garmin eTrek 130 is very well reviewed and a lot cheaper and I am fairly sure you can load it with free OSM maps, which are the same maps the device above uses but without the £40 premium for the proprietary map format. I have the first GPS and it is brilliant with a very large screen but if I was starting again I think I would go with the Garmin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Thanks for your information JJ will try direct, no doubt will see you on the circuit when it gets to cold here.
Laurie/Karen

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am sitting here in the peace and quiet that is Quinta Majay and will stay here until the end of the month when I pop north into France to tour around France a bit with my Princess (in August).

Then back to QMJ for Sept/Oct before heading south for the Festive season and to annoy my van living mates down there...

One or two of them might call into QMJ before they go on down to the Algarve.

If I like them, I let them watch my City winning the Premier League videos...

JJ :cool:

camperstop messines

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Sao Bartolomeu de Messines
Funster No
MH
Sold it, not happy
Exp
Since 2008
Does any one know were to get any good walking maps, been told Milatary maps are good? Tryed to get some last year in Portugal but no joy.
Laurie.
Hi,

Good hiking maps of Portugal are hard to come by. There are a few books with hikes in it, and of course you can do (parts of) the Via Algarviana. However, there are also private individuals or small businesses that have hikes available. You can download them using an app on your smartphone, a then use it completely offline. i use it for all my hikes, it works perfectly. Visit their website at www.routeyou.com for hikes all over Europe.

Hope this was of some help to you, enjoy Portugal by foot.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Just to add to DBK's post, for Garmin GPS you can load OSM or MBT maps onto Garmin Base camp, load the maps onto a GPS memory card and then plot hiking or biking routes onto a hiking or biking GPS.

Links, Open Street Maps http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download and Openmbtmap on -: https://openmtbmap.org/download/odbl/ If you do not have a Garmin GPS there are smartphone apps for these maps and the contours are also available. The downside for these maps is that they rely on people uploading tracks and trails, so lots of trails around the Algarve coast and the Costa Blanca for example.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Hi,

Good hiking mapin of Portugal are hard to come by. There are a few books with hikes in it, and of course you can do (parts of) the Via Algarviana. However, there are also private individuals or small businesses that have hikes available. You can download them using an app on your smartphone, a then use it completely offline. i use it for all my hikes, it works perfectly. Visit their website at www.routeyou.com for hikes all over Europe.

Hope this was of some help to you, enjoy Portugal by foot.
Yes the last time I stayed at yours enjoyed your walks, hope to swing by yours in Feb will try any new walks you have. Laurie.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
If you are in Faro you can buy the military maps from the ministerio da agriculturea.(just off the seafront-and you somtimes need to very patient,the transaction can take a while !!good luck)
see attached excellent maps

IMG_20151213_0006.jpg

Laurie.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Got a nice one for you if the almond trees are blossoming around that time. 9km, 16km or even 25km! Done some milage last summer to find new routes, so you´ll not be bored.
Braking in some new boots cannot wait.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back