Benimar Motorhomes , thinking of buying a new one (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Looking for opinions on Benimar Motorhomes from some of you knowledgeable Funsters .
Been looking at a new Mileo 264 single bed model and it comes with a good level of equipment
the £51,995 price tag

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi we got the 202 in April realy pleased with quality and had free up grade to 3600kg , fiat engine so much better :)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I had a good in-depth look at them at the Lincoln show. I wore out the carpets exploring each model.(I think it was the first time that Marquis had exhibited there). For the money and the features/ layout etc, I was quite impressed.

I would consider one if I changed my present MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Did have a good look at the Benimar 201 earlier this year.

Pros: nice finish, solidly built & good design and features. The GRP fit was well done and solid and looked very robust and leak proof. Electric hob (for on site) and grill and micro. Proper Spare tyre in large garage. Built in reversing cam.

cons: purple sink (ugh). plastic skirting well below the FIAT frame and had unessesarily reduced ground clearance particularly at the back. Shower screen a heavy and ungainly difficult to operate thing needs to go in the bin. The main table is a far too large unwieldy affair and needs replacing with a removable one. I also think passengers in the 2 rear travelling seats may injure themselves on the table in the event of a collision if its left unlocked.
Marquis were difficult to deal with re a px and getting a final price for a trade in, and were insisting on all sorts of tests other dealers had never asked for. They also had an unhelpful attitude towards some conversions I wanted and that put me off them.

had things been different with marquis I would have bought the 201 as its the best specced for a long range off grid jaunt, and junked the table and shower screen immediately and replaced them with something lighter and better and freed up loads of space in the lounge with a simple removable table.

Good luck in dealing with them!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have a visit to the factory . its just up the road from where we are today up at benicarla . had two tours of the factory. always very helpful and pleasant folk. if i was thinking of one i would definately visit and say what i wanted . i know some have picked vehicles up from the factory.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If you like Benimar then have a look at Chausson too as lot of similarities also being part of Trigano group & a lot cheaper at under £40,000 with 7 year shell warrranty. Quite a few UK dealers too so can shop around for prices. If the UK features (position of hab door, oven, microwave etc) are important to you then do think that Benimars are internally well built & good spec. but don't know about quality of construction of coachbuilt shell & their warranty t&c (5 years?) on that. Saw these last year (& this year at NEC) when they returned to UK market via Marquis & it's a shame that there aren't more dealers stocking them as do think that with Marquis currently having a monopoly on these that price point is too high even considering the whistles & bells. If your budget is over 50,000 I would look at some of the German makes too as at the NEC show it was clear that overall they have dropped in price this year.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have the Benimar, Mileo 290 from 9 months old and very pleased with it, but it is our first MH so cannot compare with others. As @vwalan states if you get a change visit the factory and have a tour.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We have a 2016 model 202 and all I can say at the moment is look at the front of the roof where the cab GRP joins,and lift the vent covers around the shelf around the cab area and check to see if you can see any insulation.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
We have a 2016 model 202 and all I can say at the moment is look at the front of the roof where the cab GRP joins,and lift the vent covers around the shelf around the cab area and check to see if you can see any insulation.
You would be lucky that was the first place I looked, but it is a Spain MH, so like Spanish build homes...... not a chance.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
We bought a Benimar mileo 294 at the NEC this year and was told yesterday it would be in this country on the 30/11/15 so not long now . It was was better equipped than most of the other vans on show and came with many upgrades as standard . The quality looked good and it is based on the tried and tested Fiat I will let you know in a couple of weeks time if I have made the right choice :):)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
We bought a Benimar mileo 294 at the NEC this year and was told yesterday it would be in this country on the 30/11/15 so not long now . It was was better equipped than most of the other vans on show and came with many upgrades as standard . The quality looked good and it is based on the tried and tested Fiat I will let you know in a couple of weeks time if I have made the right choice :):)
Thats the replacement/ new model for the 290 and it looks really nice. Good luck with your new motorhome, have lots and lots of fun and laughter.

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Looking for opinions on Benimar Motorhomes from some of you knowledgeable Funsters .
Been looking at a new Mileo 264 single bed model and it comes with a good level of equipment
the £51,995 price tag

Our Benimar 202 is a year old next week - apparently the first one to arrive in UK - it's a great layout - we have now done 60 nights ways it it - yes there were some problems - had the insulation issue ( that Steve has mentioned ) sorted. All other issues have been dealt with by Marquis. Worst problem was five hours before we were due to be on a ferry to France I ran water through to get the air out - then opened the kitchen draw - it was full of water as the sink waste has disintegrated - so made a temporary repair with wire and mastic - since replaced.......touch wood I think we are out of the woods now . Good luck with your search.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Ok will check that out as mine is in at the moment for slight tell cracking on the the over head cab but other than that very pleased (y)

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Just to expand on the issue there were some lines of condensation on the ceiling and this indicated a lack of insulation so Marquis put additional panels in - seems ok now

What cracks do you have ?

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
In the summer I washed the m/home including roof ready to wax the all over ready for winter . Had my staging up over the bonnet and noticed gel cracking under the benimar lettering one over cab .

OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Thanks for all your reply's , next question has anyone had dealings with Marquis and how do you find there aftersales

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thanks for all your reply's , next question has anyone had dealings with Marquis and how do you find there aftersales
Like I said they were very fussy about my trade in and wanted me to bring my trade in van back a couple of times for testing (even though it was still under manufacturers warranty). They were also basically asking me to sign on the dotted line for the Benimar without giving me a trade in price!! I suspected they were going to try and have my pants down on the trade in. So it may be better to try cash, with them. Let us know how you get on!
My opinion of them was if they were actually a bit more customer focused and properly up front they might sell more Benimars.

John & Liz

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
Since Sept 2012
Different experience with our trade in, a 12 year old Rollerteam, they offered a good price subject to seeing it and when they did check it over said all OK and stood by the original price, that was at the Sussex branch, unfair to tar them all with the same brush, we collect our new Benimar on 2nd April and so far been a good experience with Marquis

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years

Marquis have been very good with us, particularly Steve at Preston and Adam in service at Tewkesbury. They looked after us ok, had a few snagging issues but they are sorting them out and I would buy of them again.

Lynne

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Have dealt with Marquis at Tewkesbury and found good to deal with, waiting for delivery of a Benimar Mileo 286 at the moment.
One thing they do insist on, is that your trade in vehicle will have a damp check as part of the deal. This applies to Auto-Sleeper vehicles as well, which is part of the Marquis group.

Could more information be given re the lack of insulation over cab area.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi Delmar when we got are 202 we paid extra £1000 for full winterisation and it was not till we went away after Xmas the problem became apparent ,pitched up for 5 days heating on moved of pitch dumped waste opened up cab door water pured out of over cab spot light ,when we started to drive came out of other side .all due to lack of insulation if I look up at over cab in bright sun you can see the light grinning through these problems should all be sorted by now ,we deal witth marquis in hants and they have been brilliant with the few problems we have had and sorted as soon as benimar gave the go ahead they send parts over and work is carried out with any van I think you will get a few problems just be nice and polite to the dealer and you will be treated the same I have no problem recommending marquis of hants never disputed any of are claims just have to wait for approval from benimar good luck they are nice vans for the money

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Thanks Jamwitt, so it seems that problem will not occur on the 2016 model as it meets catagory 3 winter insulation levels. Although I will be checking.
This will be our 5th MH and probably our last, but always expect to have some problems and usually do, generally something small.
My experience with Marquis at Tewkesbury is the same as yours, so quite happy there.

I'm hoping delivery from the factory will be within the next two weeks. It has been a long wait since the NEC show last October, when we placed the order.

Regards.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hopefully problems solved and enjoy your new van i must change my avatar picture to the new van

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Unfortunately the 2016 models do suffer from inadequate insulation above the cab area here are some photos of mine I noticed that there was light shining around the bed straps and removed the over cab lining to investigate.
There was about 4 mm of water in the trough above the windscreen caused by condensation if you remove the vent covers in the front area you should be able to see if the insulation has been installed correctly they are only held in by some weak double sided tape, there was a S marked inside one of mine the mark of Sorrow perhaps :)

2015-11-01 13.46.30.jpg 2015-11-01 13.46.04.jpg 2015-11-01 13.45.59.jpg

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Hi Steve, what does your dealer and particularly Benimar say about this problem, if this has still not been resolved, how can it pass the catagory 3 winter insulation criteria.

I have traded in a two year old Auto-Sleeper for the Mileo 286, I hope this is not a mistake on my part.

John & Liz

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
Since Sept 2012
Got me worried too, my 2016 Mileo 201 is being delivered on the 2nd April

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
They only have to supply one correctly built van for testing.
I rectified the insulation myself as I already had the overcab area stripped, the dealer must have been aware there was a problem with the insulation as other customers had the problem before I purchased mine and I would have been nice if they did a simple check to see if the insulation was complete as I said before a quick check can be made through the vent grill holes.

I presume Benimar must have been informed about the problem with the earlier insulation issues but did not tighten up production inspection.

There were a few other things missed on the PDI that were noticed on collection the front blinds did not close, Marquis ordered replacements, but it was only a small adjustment needed to the lower guide bar height, the wheel trims did not fit correctly, it just needed the spring ring on the trims reversed, the rear trim above the fridge was only held on with one screw.
The bed had to be lifted by had to connect the safety strap as the cut out was adjusted to cut the power before the bed was high enough.
Oh! and the tyre pressures were only 60 psi all round despite great emphasis being put on them being 74 psi during the handover.
These issues I have sorted myself.
There is another issue with the bed that concerns me the control circuit can get hot if the bed is raised and lowered a couple of times i.e when setting the stop points.
20160131_140602.jpg 20160131_140712.jpg
The power Mosfet they use has a working temperature of up to 178 degrees C and the wires to the control key run right across it as you can see they had started to melt.
Project 2000 the bed manufactures were very dismissal of the issue when I emailed them about it.
However despite these teething issues we still like the van.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
The bed control overheating is horrific! That could easily have started a fire (as an ex loss adjuster I have seen many fires started similarly) so I wouldn't let them off lightly at all. How dare they be dismissive of a major fault!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back