Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I took my van out for a drive yesterday just for the hell of it. We all know that because we are high up we can see down into cars and in a short drive round town I was amazed at the number of people both male and female that have their mobile phones on their lap and the second the vehicle comes to rest they are on it. We know speed kills but it is these people that momentarily take their eye off the road at speed that cause serious injury to law abiding motorists....it winds me up! :mad::mad::mad:

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I can't help getting wound up about it DBK, a law was passed preventing their use when driving but so many drivers ignore it, just like those not wearing seat belts; those who can't be bothered to change a broken headlight, those that use fog light purely for effect; need I go on!

I should have been a traffic cop ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I took my van out for a drive yesterday just for the hell of it. We all know that because we are high up we can see down into cars and in a short drive round town I was amazed at the number of people both male and female that have their mobile phones on their lap and the second the vehicle comes to rest they are on it. We know speed kills but it is these people that momentarily take their eye off the road at speed that cause serious injury to law abiding motorists....it winds me up! :mad::mad::mad:

I took my van out for a drive yesterday just for the hell of it. We all know that because we are high up we can see down into cars and admire some lovely knees and cleavages:devil:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I can't help getting wound up about it DBK, a law was passed preventing their use when driving but so many drivers ignore it, just like those not wearing seat belts; those who can't be bothered to change a broken headlight, those that use fog light purely for effect; need I go on!

Lack of respect for the law, lack of respect for rules and regulations, the whole country not just drivers is being crippled by a lack of respect for others.
Policing this lack of respect for the law is another thing, the odds of getting caught are astronomical because plod is just not out there and those that are, are too busy chasing criminals who through that lack of respect for the law are doing far worse things than using a mobile phone while driving with no seatbelt on.
Rant over. :mad:

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
i would like the job of driving round and photographing people on their phones whilst driving,then capturing the no plate,,sending all details to police or dvla...at £50 per prosecution,,i could retire in 6 months !!! lol

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
People in glass houses....... While you are all watching out of the drivers door window 20-40 degs ?......... Still watching while the perps drive away........ What is happening on the road in front of you ......... has every one gone? Could you see if a kiddy/small person had stopped close to your front bumper while crossing ?
I miss some speed limit signs,had one motor that had HUGE blind spots each side of the windscreen and even being ultra carefull sometimes missed something till the last minute,son in law called it,"The m/bike widow maker",when he drove it,it was sold on.
Like i have said,i am not perfect,but,lighten up a bit,don't go looking for sinners,see what happens when you do.... You get wound up.. So, every two hrs,take a break... Or as the late Michael Winner used to say.
" Calm down dear"
Useing the mob.phone while driving can and does kill,so does...... Stress. Phone numbers on the back of vehicles...Ring this number if this vehicle is being ..etc. Some were the owner drivers number.... Some were "alleged" to be the number for an STD clinic, Don't ask.
As regards Dash Cams... Well,i wonder if they suffer from the same trouble as CCTV Failing to record ? You would be a sandwich short of a picnic,to show the police the footage,if you had cocked up somewhere,and i doubt your insurers would be to pleased either.
Things i do NOT do.Drink and drive,jump Red lights and drive close to Horses. I try very hard to observe the rest,but they keep moving the goal posts.
Tea Bag
PS. NON of this is a personal attack on any of you,looks like me and Badknee needed a rant LOL!!!!.
PPS. I think there is some law that states,if you have CCTV at your house,if it covers so much of the public highway/space,you have to have a board up saying.CCTV. Can we now look forward to seeing signs in/on cars/vans, CCTV On Board ? (Along with,"Little Princess/Prince","Show Dogs" etc) Oh Thrice LOL! ................. Ring this number ?

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I have noticed driving the motorhome that as I am higher I can see into lorry cabs - the number of those talking and even texting while driving scares the hell out of me!

I do about 30,000 miles a year for work and never use the phone unless hands free (I don't even have to dial). I would never read a text etc.

Jen

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
i would like the job of driving round and photographing people on their phones whilst driving,then capturing the no plate,,sending all details to police or dvla...at £50 per prosecution,,i could retire in 6 months !!! lol
Hmm, using a camera and driving ? :eek:

Reactions: DBK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I mentioned elsewhere that I recently installed a rear viewing dash cam in the car as we had almost been rear-ended a couple of times - including by somebody using a mobile. When (not if) the camera catches somebody using a phone in a similar manner I shall be sorely tempted to send it to the police :D

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Drivers on mobile phones wind me up too.When out on my motor bike if at an island and the car in front is on there mobile i bang on there roof(that makes them jump) fed up with hearing,sorry mate i didn't see you.
:mad:

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Drivers on mobile phones wind me up too.When out on my motor bike if at an island and the car in front is on there mobile i bang on there roof(that makes them jump) fed up with hearing,sorry mate i didn't see you.
:mad:
This is shocking, what gives you the right to do that? - I had a motorcyclist bang on my car once (he thought I was in the wrong lane, I wasn't). It was very frightening at night for a lone woman in her car. I reported him to the police as he damaged my car in the process and he was cautioned for it.

The police said they get accidents all the time by people doing this - scaring a motorist whose foot can slip off a pedal. The police told me they consider it a form of road rage.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Totally agree with you

I have been hit three times by people on the phone

Last occurance she drove straight into the back of us at eighty plus miles an hour on a dual carriage way

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
This is shocking, what gives you the right to do that? - I had a motorcyclist bang on my car once (he thought I was in the wrong lane, I wasn't). It was very frightening at night for a lone woman in her car. I reported him to the police as he damaged my car in the process and he was cautioned for it.

The police said they get accidents all the time by people doing this - scaring a motorist whose foot can slip off a pedal. The police told me they consider it a form of road rage.
It's not shocking people on mobile phone whilst driving is shocking

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I don't understand their mentality as if they are caught(big if) it would cost them more in the fine and penalty points than a cheap hands free set which they could have been using legally.
Doesn't make sense?

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
It's not shocking people on mobile phone whilst driving is shocking
I agree that being on a phone is disgraceful and dangerous but physical attacks on people or property are also shocking and criminal.

If someone kicked your bike while you were sat on it would that be ok?

Of course people on motorbikes never do anything dangerous do they? Of course they wouldn't dream of weaving in and out of traffic, overtaking on the inside, going in bike lanes or speeding off on one wheel.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't understand their mentality as if they are caught(big if) it would cost them more in the fine and penalty points than a cheap hands free set which they could have been using legally.
Doesn't make sense?
Absolutely right. Trouble is that their idea of sense is that they don't have to buy things like hands free kits because the rules don't apply to them.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Of course people on motorbikes never do anything dangerous do they? Of course they wouldn't dream of weaving in and out of traffic, overtaking on the inside, going in bike lanes or speeding off on one wheel.[/QUOTE]

Well said,
What has that got to do with driving whilst on a mobile

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

:LOL:(y)

Totally agree with you

I have been hit three times by people on the phone

Last occurance she drove straight into the back of us at eighty plus miles an hour on a dual carriage way
Hopefully they are all dead ?:whistle:
Doesn't make sense?
Most are as thick as ****e.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Of course people on motorbikes never do anything dangerous do they? Of course they wouldn't dream of weaving in and out of traffic, overtaking on the inside, going in bike lanes or speeding off on one wheel.

Well said,
What has that got to do with driving whilst on a mobile[/QUOTE]
Its ALL dangerous!
Just as speeding in any vehicle is - not maintaining a vehicle, having unsuitable glasses to correct your eyesight etc. AND deliberately trying to scare motorists.

None are good - all are bad and plenty more besides. Just because some idiot uses a phone in a car doesn't give you the right to assault them or their property. Two wrongs don't make a right.

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I would say men driving vans whilst driving is a common sight, nine times out of ten these guys are not wearing seatbelts but even more dangerous are the young women who rather than making calls are typing, probably on social media, they are the ones with the phone on their laps :mad:

Makes me laugh how these idiots think that by putting the phone on their laps that they won't get seen, the illuminated glow on the face whilst looking down gives it away :confused: Problem is we all pay the price being either higher insurance premiums or long waits in traffic jams following the accidents.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
A few times when pulled up at the side of someone on the phone, I just lean on the horn, then look round "looking" for who is blowing their horn, usually they stop chatting because they can't hear anything!
Cheers, Dave(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Think what the average Lorry driver can see then?. Not just women on Phones. but NOT wearing Skirts even!. Obviously she though it was a good idea, as the skirt, neatly folded on the passenger seat, was not going to get creased on the way to work.!!! Bonny pair of legs though!!. My "mate" nearly hung himself on the seat belt trying to get a look!!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back