Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi am considering buying a 26ft GMC Georgie Boy pursuit, 4,764kg with an 8.100cc engine can someone please give me an idea as to the fuel consumption, it seems a huge engine for a moderate sized motorhome. My old beast is 21ft 4100kg with a 3.750 engine so heavy compared to the RV. Anyone any ideas.

Last edited:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry no idea but I would think 2 gallons to get from chain beach to the top of mullacott.A little less for the return. :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
At best 10mpg - 12 mpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Roger it is still a 8 ltr plus engine,:cry: I would think more like the 10 mpg mark whether on tick over or gentle cruising.Never got more than 14 mpg (driving like on egg shells ) out of my sons 5 ltr plus pick up (a lot smaller and lighter) then again he never got more than 8 / 10 mpg :ROFLMAO:
terry
ps have you been selling some cows or horses ::bigsmile: or had a lottery win :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
yep gas guzzlers:Sad:

In the filling stations,just make sure to switch the engine off , otherwise it will catch up with the fuel pump :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Roger around 9.5 out of mine, it does weigh nearly twice as much, but cruising on the roads its wind resistance that's the biggest factor in MPG, and I expect like most it has the aerodynamics of a brick. ::bigsmile:

I would guess Jim's about right, if you buy it based 12mpg and it does more, its a bonus, but buy it expecting 15mpg, and you will be ****ed if it only does 12mpg.

No offence meant but I think if your looking at buying an RV, and your concerned about MPG, you shouldn't be buying one.

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It does have an LPG conversion so even at 10mpg would be cheaper to run than the beast at 19mpg diesel plus it is a 98 not an 81 and 5ft longer now where can I steal sorry borrow the cash from

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
is that for yours Jim as this one is only 4 ton and 26ft I would have expected more, he quotes 12-15 or is he really being optimistic

Hi Roger

No, mine is a Cummins 5.9lt turbo diesel and it does about 14 - 15 mpg
RV weight 8,500 kg pulling a 1,000kg trailer .. now sold and pull a 750kg toad

I think he is being optimistic .. and agree with Olley.. if it's a concern don't buy, nothing worse than having a van and not being able to afford to use it .. :Sad:

Jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Roger if it does 10mpg on petrol it won't do that on LPG, mine does a fraction under 7mpg, expect to lose 15-25% mpg depending on the type of conversion. As a rough calculation I assume 45-50% extra mpg pricewise. ie 10miles on petrol, and for the same money LPG will take me 14miles.

Olley

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Roger, did not realise it had gas conversion :thumb: so when you calculate the price of gas / diesel you may well end up with 18/20 mpg equivalent, same as the beast :thumb:Just watch for any signs of the heads burning out if it has done a lot of miles on gas :Eeek: apart from that it sounds like a nice van for you,Sue and the dogs :thumb:Should last you a good few years :thumb:
terry

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hi there Roger !!!!!
I would imagine that it is a bit like an airplane, in that fuel consumption is measured in tons and the fill gauge is replaced by a fuel flow meter.....HEE HEE !!! as you would say...Best wishes to you and Sue..XXX....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
terry;163126Just watch for any signs of the heads burning out if it has done a lot of miles on gas :Eeek: terry[/QUOTE said:
first I've heard about that is it common, ah well back to the drawing board, bank robbery put on hold and cows get to survive another year.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Roger they are good for 80,000 mls running on gas :thumb: so depending on when converted ::bigsmile:
terry

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi There

We have a 30 foot 7.5 ton Coachmen Mirada 1998 7.2ltr and we get 10 or 11 to the gallon. If you drive it like an F1 then about 5 to the gallon.

You wont be able to park it in Ilfracombe high street tho. :ROFLMAO: I have driven ours along the high street and that was interesting. :Eeek:

Kevin and Tricia

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I would have expected more, he quotes 12-15 or is he really being optimistic

Well Roger, being the everlasting cynic I would say that as he's selling he is bound to massage the figure a little bit :ROFLMAO:in all my life I've never known anyone tell the whole unadultered truth when selling and with mpg it's so easy, even the big manufacturers used to do it until the law required more transparency and even now the figures are usually better than real life.

I hope you get the beast, if you've set your heart on it, and if not there is bound to be another just around the corner, I've never known a 'buyers market' like the one we're in now ::bigsmile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I think if your looking at buying an RV, and your concerned about MPG, you shouldn't be buying one.
True.

There is a 'minibago' currently on eBay which makes a complete joke of fuel consumption at 60mpg! That said you could fit it in the lounge of most RV's!

Its all about priorities and compromises at the end of the day.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
forget the fuel consumption what about parking it xxxxxxx

Good luck on whatever you decide xxxx

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I hope you get the beast, if you've set your heart on it, and if not there is bound to be another just around the corner, I've never known a 'buyers market' like the one we're in now ::bigsmile:
Any vehicle which gulps fuel down is now practically worthless. People struggle to give 'em away.

I'd offer him a couple of grand and walk away. ::bigsmile:

A guy near in my locality has had a 4x4 sitting on the pavement up for sale for the past six months now. Despite knocking his price down he still cant sell it.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
fuel

we have got a b class winnebago that does 10 mpg no problem and for the comfort it gives us we will stick with the yank , i have got friends with various euro built vans and they are not so good as they are made out on mpg:Doh: maybee the big a classes are not selling like last year but there is still a market for them ,i sold a dodge ram diesel a couple of months ago and could have sold it 5 times over, buy and enjoy the vehicle that YOU like not what others dont:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On a recent 830 mile round trip from Norfolk to Devon/Cornwall our 7.1tonne Hurricane with 6.8l v10 Triton did 7.5mpg on LPG. It drives beautifully, stacks of space but you pay a price for 5* comfort

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Any vehicle which gulps fuel down is now practically worthless. People struggle to give 'em away.

I'd offer him a couple of grand and walk away. ::bigsmile:

A guy near in my locality has had a 4x4 sitting on the pavement up for sale for the past six months now. Despite knocking his price down he still cant sell it.

i dont think thats the fuel consumption.....have a look at the tax disc....it'll be £400 a year unless its a pickup.
our office manage pays £200 for 6 months on his mitsu warrior 4X4 but its not a pickup.:cry:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I dont think thats the fuel consumption.....have a look at the tax disc....it'll be £400 a year unless its a pickup.
Our office manage pays £200 for 6 months on his mitsu warrior 4X4 but its not a pickup.:cry:
Good point PJ.

My brother-in-law pays just £35 to tax his car for 12 months.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
fuel

our b class 6.7 petrol winnebago is £165 pa my wifes 206 car is £35 pa but would not like to sleep in it, (lost the conversation of fuel?):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
i dont think thats the fuel consumption.....have a look at the tax disc....it'll be £400 a year unless its a pickup.
our office manage pays £200 for 6 months on his mitsu warrior 4X4 but its not a pickup.:cry:

Oh the joys of having a pre 2002 RV, mine is 7.5l and does about 8mpg on LPG, tax is £165 and £35 on the smart which does about 40mpg. A round trip Redruth to Bournemouth on the dreaded A35 costs about £250/£270 depends wether I am tugging Smart.

Basicaly as others have said, to get the luxury of a large RV you have to sacrifice Fuel, but its well worth the trouble.

Brian

M

motorhome_lover

Deleted User
I too am buying

Hi am considering buying a 26ft GMC Georgie Boy pursuit, 4,764kg with an 8.100cc engine can someone please give me an idea as to the fuel consumption, it seems a huge engine for a moderate sized motorhome. My old beast is 21ft 4100kg with a 3.750 engine so heavy compared to the RV. Anyone any ideas.

i get my 26 foot pursuit in a weeks time mine has LPG conversion
i dont know what it will do MPG but as its a home on wheels even at 10/12 mpg its worth it
once i get her out on the open road i will update with real figures

yours IanF

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion

I don't know where £400 to tax a 4 x 4 comes from I have a mercedes ML 4 x 4 and its still only £215 to tax have just checked it in dvlc web site Alan

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
i get my 26 foot pursuit in a weeks time mine has LPG conversion
i dont know what it will do MPG but as its a home on wheels even at 10/12 mpg its worth it
once i get her out on the open road i will update with real figures

yours IanF

i get 9 - 10 MPG on LPG about the same on petrol not sure what will happen when i tow a car on the back but hope to get 8-9 if i can

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My Cummins 5.9 turbo does 14.5 Solo.towing Panda or towing 20ft boat.
That of coarse is motorway cruesing at 55-58 MPH.
Once you have the mass rolling and keep it rolling the big lump is doing nothing,its a different story on A roads with traffic lights,roundabouts,speed cameras etc.
On a run from Manchester to Spain theres a difference minus 120ltr if I use the National roads,which goes a long way towards the cost of the paege.
I have both RV and Euro camper,but know well if one had to go,it would not be the RV.
We got em so we gota run em!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back