Suddenly got no gas (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
This is our first night in our new to us van. We bought and had fitted a new propane gas bottle. Cooked dinner using the oven and hob with no problem but suddenly have no gas. Gas is switched on inside and at bottle. One minute gas working and next it wasn't. Any ideas what to do? Luckily it's not meant to be cold as we now have no heating as it doesn't work on electric!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Check the crash sensor has not popped out. It's a green button on the gas regulator
Press it back in yo reset

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Is there a reset button on your regulator?
From memory if Truma it is a green button press n hold for 10 seconds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Lizi my only thought is that you have been sold a new but empty gas cylinder,if you remove and lift it up with one hand then most likely empty,a full one would require 2 hands.
Unless your Charles Atlas. HTHs

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Is this button on the gas bottle? We have no gas on hob or heating.

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Look at the end of the hose from the gas bottle. That unit is the regulator where the button is if Truma.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is this button on the gas bottle? We have no gas on hob or heating.
Its on the regulator.
Does your regulator look like this ?

upload_2015-11-14_20-13-19.jpeg

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
are you on a site with electric hook up? most motorhomes have electric heating and water heating so all may not be lost

it is forecast colder than I would like to have no heating :)

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
are you on a site with electric hook up? most motorhomes have electric heating and water heating so all may not be lost

it is forecast colder than I would like to have no heating :)

Sorry not so! Mine is gas only for water and heating.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Failing that, you may have done what I did not so long back. We keep all our cleaning stuff in a small cupboard under the sink. When I got out the Mr Muscle, I accidentally hit one of the isolator valves, and shut off the gas supply. Might want to check those!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Where it goes into van there is a yellow switch which is in the vertical position on the gas pipe. Cannot see button unless you mean plastic dial showing green and red on top of bottle which we assume indicates how much gas is in it.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Where it goes into van there is a yellow switch which is in the vertical position on the gas pipe. Cannot see button unless you mean plastic dial showing green and red on top of bottle which we assume indicates how much gas is in it.
That sounds like an auto switch over system to me, can you take a pic?

Upvote 0

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
On the Dial , what is needle showing, gas full or empty ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Needle show full. Don't know how to attach pic as doing this on phone and when I press the little camera nothing.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
This is our first night in our new to us van. We bought and had fitted a new propane gas bottle. Cooked dinner using the oven and hob with no problem but suddenly have no gas. Gas is switched on inside and at bottle. One minute gas working and next it wasn't. Any ideas what to do? Luckily it's not meant to be cold as we now have no heating as it doesn't work on electric!
Maybe others have already asked this, but you say you have cooked but suddenly have no gas. Does that mean that the gas rings are not working either, or just that the red light is on the Truma heating control dial? If nothing is working on gas (heating, fridge or hob rings) then it sounds like either empty cylinder, dodgy regulator, or cut-off valve (which in our van is under the hob). If you can manage tonight and you are in a site where other MHs are present, someone will probably be willing to temporarily swapylindefs with you which would then rule in or out a cylinder problem. Let us know how you get on. All is good experience, even if it doesn't feel like that at the time. i remember when we took our first (brand new) van to a site in the Dales in Winter. Half way through the evening we lost all electric supply. It turned out that the electroblock had packed in! Experience! Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Thanks everyone. Still no joy. We have no gas anywhere and van is only heated by gas. The gas bottle dial shows high but it is light. That said, it is an aluminium bottle bought for lightness so not sure what is going on. Lucky we brought a small electric kettle we remembered we had so can at least have cuppa!

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I had this on my MH turned out the truma reg was block changed it for gaslow (straight swop) because was told truma give no warranty if gas contaminated,gaslow 5 year

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
even a lite gas cylinder is quite heavy when not empty, I fear you have run out of gas and have a dodgy indicator

ours goes from green to red when empty, I presume from your comment you only have the one cylinder? If on a site you might find they sell gas in the morning, hope you didn't reduce the tog rating of your duvet to save weight as well :)

a second cylinder really is essential, but that might be obvious to you now

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Sorry to sound thick but is Truma not just the heating? We have no gas on stove or oven now.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
disconnect the cylinder, you need to if changing anyway. lift it from the locker and tip on its side briefly as you swing it back and forth. you should feel the liquid propane slosh around if you have gas. if it does reinstall it in the locker if not replace,
if you have gas in the cylinder it could be a failed regulator which is common. or you have put in a butane cylinder which wont work below about 4 degrees centigrade

if its a failed regulator, its a simple diy job to switch over using a spanner and screwdriver. as a backup we have always carried a spare regulator and a low wattage electric fan heater for very cold nights when on campsites

Upvote 0

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
My van used gas heating so I carry a small electric fan heater for emergencies and is excellent for quick heating of the habitation area, small light and cheap I would recommend keeping one just in case.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back