Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We are using Osmand and really like it. Have downloaded campercontact list as garmin csv and converted it to a gpx file. This we called "favorites" and added to the Osmand folder. On opening Osmand, and finding a favorite, it shows on the map as being in south atlantic and not france. Aside from sending a lifeboat any ideas? It doesnt seem to be as minor as + or - in front of the lat/long!
Note spelling of favorite is as the Osmand program does it. Hopefully someone has been here before us.

As an add on since Osmand maps need a lot of storage we have an Android file manager, so maps we are not using are on the sd card, countries we are using are on the main memory and can be shifted as required.
Thanks in advance, please not too technical replies............

Martin ( Sandra doesnt want to be associated with this one )

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Could it be that the Eastings and Northings are the wrong way round from the order that the Osmand software requires?
Try swapping them by opening the csv file in a spreadsheet program and then convert to gpx again.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why did you convert the campercontact file to gpx? A gpx file is for a route.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Thanks for prompt reply, the actual location given on map is close to equator and both lat and long are less than 5deg. Our aires are just south of Accra, well maybe 750km, its a long swim.

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
GPX, I converted to gpx as this was far easier than converting to the Osmand odb format. By using the waypoints from the route I have the locations of the aires. At least that was the plan.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect there may be something wrong with the format. The gpx files I record with my GPS have a column for time for example.

This link gives a bit more information and says only lat and long are essential and other fields are optional but it does say the Garmin format has extra fields.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format#Sample_GPX_document

Edit. Done bit more digging and there is a description at the bottom of this page which creates a POI index but it is a bit long winded but I suspect this may be the way to go.
http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/55654/how-to-create-a-poi-database-for-osmand

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
GPX, I converted to gpx as this was far easier than converting to the Osmand odb format. By using the waypoints from the route I have the locations of the aires. At least that was the plan.
But if you can get it to work won't osmand try to display the gpx file as a route? If it does then the map will look like a bird's nest. You need it to generate a list of POIs.

I used osmand a couple of years ago on a cycling trip in Spain but there were places where there was very little detail on the OSM maps, so I gave up on it but things may now be better.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
I've only ever had success converting POIs to the OSM ODB format and its a nightmare! Doesn't always work and is a right pain. The worst part of OSMAnd.
However the rest of OSMAnd makes up for it - but lets just say I don't update POIs often!

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Thanks for all your replies. I think that creating an Osmand odb file is a step to far for me so Campcontact poi will not be happening on the Osmand.
We have a chinese truck sat nav as backup, perhaps I will have better luck downloading the POI there.

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
SUCCESS, well sort of. I have loaded a gpx file with Camper Contact POI. Display on map is ok as waypoints, no info as to whats at that waypoint but at least they are on the map. The camper contact app map is poor unless with a wifi connection.
Process was to download the camper contact file as a csv file. The file is one row per entry without headers. I added a new row 1 and put in words lat and lon in row 1.
Used GPSBABEL to convert from csv to gpx ( it says that csv has row 1 info, I think gpx had letters xml in there somewhere)
Then transferred gpx file into track folder of osmand. The file has to be called "favorites.gpx"
The waypoints appear as stars on the osmand map, they can be turned on or off in configure map, gpx track , check or uncheck box.
Thanks to all for the info in replies, all useful to find final method.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well done, you can do a mystery tour of the stars now! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back