LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Full system update today. Be careful if on a metered connection it is huge!
Took me all day to download and install.
No discernable difference noted as yet!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
just downloaded 10 as well and it did take a while, like half a day..just assumed it was my connection..
had a few issues trying to sign in to some sites, but nothing serious yet...
did a cleanup and freed up a load of disc space before I installed, and still have a problem with the computer freezing and having to re boot it while using skype and watching video..
that was a problem before installing 10, and if anyone has any suggestions as to a possible fix that would be great..
ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Full system update today. Be careful if on a metered connection it is huge!
Took me all day to download and install.
No discernable difference noted as yet!
Thanks Ken. I'd forgotten that a message came up a while ago saying a system restart was required to install updates. That must mean they have downloaded in the background. I'll restart now so it can be doing while I have me tea :D

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
and still have a problem with the computer freezing and having to re boot it while using skype and watching video..
that was a problem before installing 10, and if anyone has any suggestions as to a possible fix that

Andy, are your video drivers up to date? Believe latest versions of Skype (which I don't use) can have problems with older drivers.
What software are you using for video playback? I've used VLC for years and never had a problem. Might be worth a try for you (if you're not already using!) as it's free http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I discovered fairly recently you can remove all the annoying little tiles from the start menu. Just right click on them and then select unpin. If you remove all of them you can then resize the start menu by dragging the edge.

Of course I guess these new adverts might be harder to remove! :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy, are your video drivers up to date? Believe latest versions of Skype (which I don't use) can have problems with older drivers.
What software are you using for video playback? I've used VLC for years and never had a problem. Might be worth a try for you (if you're not already using!) as it's free http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.

thanks grant.. I haven't a clue about the skype drivers, I just thought they updated when skype did...
think its windows media player that's the default, and again just assumed with auto updates everything would be updated including drivers, but did see a VLC app I think , which I will try...
thanks again.. and to @Munchie for the thread, I would never have thought to ask until I saw it (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
thanks grant.. I haven't a clue about the skype drivers, I just thought they updated when skype did...
think its windows media player that's the default, and again just assumed with auto updates everything would be updated including drivers, but did see a VLC app I think , which I will try...
thanks again.. and to @Munchie for the thread, I would never have thought to ask until I saw it (y)
Hi Andy.
No not Skype "drivers". The drivers produced by the machine manufacturer.
I gave up with WMP years ago and have only used VLC since then. Give it a go.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well I set my laptop to restart about 16:35. Came back 50 minutes later and it was all done. No idea how log it actually took but seems OK.

I've got updates downloading on the Vivobook I take with us in the van (so not been updated for a few weeks). I started the check for updates about 5 minutes ago and it is at 83% download.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I don't understand anyone's concern about 'support'. We have indeed looked for assistance with stuff we can't fathom ourselves on Microsofts various offerings and can't say we've ever found the answers! So we just have a look round the rest of the internet and usually find a solution.

Why will that change?

It's a bit like 'Extended Warranty' isn't it? Why do I need it - does your (whatever I'm buying) always break down then? Cos if so I'll get a different make instead ........

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't understand anyone's concern about 'support'. We have indeed looked for assistance with stuff we can't fathom ourselves on Microsofts various offerings and can't say we've ever found the answers! So we just have a look round the rest of the internet and usually find a solution.

Why will that change?

It's a bit like 'Extended Warranty' isn't it? Why do I need it - does your (whatever I'm buying) always break down then? Cos if so I'll get a different make instead ........
It's a different meaning of "support" Jenny.

From the time of publication of any OS version, Microsoft will issue updates to correct identified errors and vulnerabilities. Eventually they will stop doing so (as Jim said XP support already ended and 7 support will end on 14 January 2020). The danger for the end user then is that malware writers/hackers will exploit subsequently identified security vulnerabilities.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Why will that change?

It's more of a case they might not plug security holes that might be discovered or update it to say work with future hardware.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well I set my laptop to restart about 16:35. Came back 50 minutes later and it was all done. No idea how log it actually took but seems OK.

I've got updates downloading on the Vivobook I take with us in the van (so not been updated for a few weeks). I started the check for updates about 5 minutes ago and it is at 83% download.
Oops, spoke too soon. They must have been incidental updates on the Vivobook. Update 1511 downloading now. Same on this machine by the looks of it. I may be some time :D

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

I'm very grateful that you posted this link. My big grumble with windows 10 was that I couldn't watch the movies that I have on my pc, but downloaded this link & hey presto my movies are working again. Thank you :D

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I love 10!

Could be worse, I could have Crapple!
You're absolutely right, since I bought my Crapple iMac I feel like a part of my life has been taken away from me.
Apart from having to learn OS X everything just works, it plays everything, no crashes or freezes.
I can't now say "I'm fixing the bloody computer " so no excuses not to be in the garden or up a ladder!
DAMN YOU APPLE, I HATE YOU!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back