LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
As you may have seen on another thread I am thinking of getting a knaus Sky ti and just wondered if anyone has any views on them. From what we can see they look to be solid with some good features but before we jump in would welcome any comments either about the van or dealers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Teuchter owns one.. hopefully he will reply

a search in the forum for 'knaus Sky ti' has a few posts

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can have a look on owners club. import or local? Seem popular enough..Don't know much about them. they went bust and seem to be doing well since the rescue

Broken Link Removed

have a look at my 2016 van thread there is a review there. I can dig deeper if you let us know what you are after...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Next door neighbour has one. Very nice van, but watch the real life payload......
OK thanks, are you saying the actual weight of the vehicle is higher than the brochure says? If so how much was the neighbour out?

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
OK thanks, are you saying the actual weight of the vehicle is higher than the brochure says? If so how much was the neighbour out?
Well, it is a 7.3 metre van with a long overhang and a big garage, all on 3.5 tonnes. Any van like that needs to be checked and put over a weigh bridge. Lots of vans have real life payloads less than one thinks - mine, for instance. Had to uprate it to have a practical useable payload

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
According to the brochure its 580kg payload so allowing say 130 for the extras it has still leaves 450 so hopefully that would be enough. Trying to keep to the magic 3500 if we can as I see benefit in that food motorway speed etc.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
According to the brochure its 580kg payload so allowing say 130 for the extras it has still leaves 450 so hopefully that would be enough. Trying to keep to the magic 3500 if we can as I see benefit in that food motorway speed etc.
Experience suggests you can't trust brochures. The published payload might be with only say half tanks of fuel and water and two ballet dancers as crew. :) If there is an owners' club it might be worth asking for real life experiences.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That 580 might be with only 20 litres of water on board and is also +/- 5% to allow for manufacturing "error" - guess which side it lies......... I'm not saying it will be wrong, but that it frequently has been. As long as you are completely aware of the possibilities then no issues at all. Really nicely built vans.(y)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What model:censored:

No way a 7 meter van or above can work @ 3500. you will be surprised how few do! If its long and dont have a MIRO of around 2800 it don't have a chance....No matter what the brochure or dealer says.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looking at the Knaus website it does confirm the Mass in Running Order is with only 20 litres of water, 90% full fuel tank and only one person weighing 75 Kg on board. So at a rough guess you need to take about 200 kg off the claimed payload as at the start of any trip most folk will fill the fuel and water tanks and take their partner. :)

Buy Knaus 'vans do seem to be popular, you see a lot of them around in Europe but like a lot of continental vehicles they seem to have tiny kitchens with minimal work surface for preparation. This might not be a factor for you but worth being aware of this. On the other side continental motorhomes generally have much better insulation etc and are suitable for winter use when it is below freezing for long periods.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
What model:censored:

No way a 7 meter van or above can work @ 3500. you will be surprised how few do! If its long and dont have a MIRO of around 2800 it don't have a chance....No matter what the brochure or dealer says.
Have a look, Eddie
southdowns-2013-knaus-motorhome-technical-specifications.pdf

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
sorry Dux that not working..cant see it

there are 5 models in range...smallest has a MIRO of 2990 (+ - 5%?)

allowing 200 kg for extras and presumably partner. leaving a payload of 300'ish..Tight but a non starter IMO

http://www.knaus.de/en/motorhomes/sun-ti/overview.html
Sorry - I edited it to include the PDF, but it didn't seem to work

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans....-knaus-motorhome-technical-specifications.pdf

Look at the 700 with the twin beds.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Yes I realise it only allow for a small driver and a dribble of water but they all seem to do that. So starting at 580 less say 200 suggested above and 130 for the extras (sat dish, auto box, solar, gas etc.) still leaves 250 is that not enough?

It's actually the sky not sun model
http://www.knaus.de/en/motorhomes/sky-ti/layout-plans/700-mx.html

http://www.knaus.de/en/knaus/special-models/sky-ti-silver-selection.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Out of all the vas
Looking at the Knaus website it does confirm the Mass in Running Order is with only 20 litres of water, 90% full fuel tank and only one person weighing 75 Kg on board. So at a rough guess you need to take about 200 kg off the claimed payload as at the start of any trip most folk will fill the fuel and water tanks and take their partner. :)

Buy Knaus 'vans do seem to be popular, you see a lot of them around in Europe but like a lot of continental vehicles they seem to have tiny kitchens with minimal work surface for preparation. This might not be a factor for you but worth being aware of this. On the other side continental motorhomes generally have much better insulation etc and are suitable for winter use when it is below freezing for long periods.
Out of all the vans we have sent this one seems to have the most kitchen workspace and more than our current caravan because of the cooker being set back and the shelf where the headrests are.
Worse one we saw was a burstner with the hoib at 45 degrees so cutting the corner off a worktop.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Kensmith314

Free Member
Mar 18, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Almost a year
I have a Knaus Sky Ti. It is the 6.99 m MF version. Bought it in June and have covered about 3500 miles since then.
Nothing has ever gone wrong with it and it seems well laid out, cosy and solidly built.
I recently weighed it with myself, wife, 2 heavy folding bikes, 1 16 kg kettlebell, awning, solar panel, table and 2 chairs, 50 litres of water, full fuel tank and one or two other things I have probably forgotten and the total weight was 3360 kg.

Upvote 0

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I went to the NEC last year to look at German made vans. The Knaus looked nice but we had to discount them because my wife who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis could not physically open the cupboards.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
My daugher has one .they love it. Had a few problems with in the first year. Bent doors.radio electrics. and oven innerglass exploding. Still trying to get dealers to put oven right. my son in law .left keys inside. l used a bent coat hanger. To get in though a window. just shows how easy .get in a moterhome. looking at ways to stop this. but on other forums shown. if determined they would find a way. has said my daugher and son in law would not swop.:cool:

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
a recommended max travelling limit of 10 lts of water.

joe
I don't think it's the recommend amount just the amount included in the miro most others seem to be at 20l so this is a bit lower I know.

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We have a knaus sky i A class. superb, well put together,brilliant german quality. In Germany the knaus brand is the largest selling brand of motorhome.
We have been looking to change ours to increase pay load - ours is 3.8 so pretty generous but have recently bought a moped which puts us close (but not over) the limit. We have looked at other german marks but somehow they don't cut the mustard for us on storage, lay out, kitchen storage etc, so will probably hang on and either get the 4ton same model or the new sunI which looks amazing (but nearly 9 metres). The only thing we have changed is the radio/hifi which was not great, but we do love our music, so was important to us

Upvote 0

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
My brother recently bought the I 700 LEG what a brilliant van build quality is excilent and everything worked as it should. Fantastic garage with a lovely layout for two / 3 people.

Came with a few snags from new the, face off sterio is very poor some blemishes to internal laminates and the Hab door seemed flimsy and would close easily but have been resolved by the stealer.

On a recent trip to bakewell with mine in the background

image post

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My brother recently bought the I 700 LEG what a brilliant van build quality is excilent and everything worked as it should. Fantastic garage with a lovely layout for two / 3 people.

Came with a few snags from new the, face off sterio is very poor some blemishes to internal laminates and the Hab door seemed flimsy and would close easily but have been resolved by the stealer.

On a recent trip to bakewell with mine in the background

image post

That's the thing how are they built? Low or high tech...they certainly do not seem to adopt lightweight technology methods by the sound of it. I know nothing about them to be honest, whereas Hymer and Carthargo the construction methods well known. Still think any van with a MIRO of 3000 a non starter to run at 3500..a joke to be honest... It's not all about the looks!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
To be honest that's the thing, they seem really really well built! Yes they are 3500 but you would never know just walking around it the garage is huge too.

Weight savings must come the fact There's no microwave or full size oven just a grill combo thing,No awning, no carpets etc

But it's a beautifully finished van

Upvote 0

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Following on from judgementals remarks regarding payload, I noticed on the spec sheet that the motor appears to be 115 bhp and have always thought that this low bhp would not be enough power to pull a motorhome without slowing up on hills etc, am I not thinking straight or have I missed something?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
That's the thing how are they built? Low or high tech...they certainly do not seem to adopt lightweight technology methods by the sound of it. I know nothing about them to be honest, whereas Hymer and Carthargo the construction methods well known. Still think any van with a MIRO of 3000 a non starter to run at 3500..a joke to be honest... It's not all about the looks!:rolleyes:
If you know so little why comment?

Upvote 0

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Standard engine is a 115

130 150 available in the light chassis type.. My brothers is the 150 heavy and pulls well 180 jumps to 3.0

imgur

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back