Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do you modify your vans to suit?
There are several things we would like to add but are worried about drilling and devaluing the van. One modification we would like to make is 2 smaller hinged (maybe) tables as the one we have is too big and heavy for just two of us. Even adding more hooks makes me nervous!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have had a lot of new items and thinks on my new unit, but it had to be done by dealer or authorised person so as not to invalidate any warranty etc. Pain as it costs ÂŁ60 odd per hour

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
My husband always modifies more or less everything we have! He's very inventive and very competent.

Just make sure you use top quality fittings and if you're not sure you'll do a good job get someone to do it for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have absolutely no concern about modifying my van.. I bought it to use, not to resell.. (y)
I bought it for US, not for who ever owns it down the line :)
The Miller had more or less a whole redesign on the interior .. I changed it from being twin dinette to single dinette with sofa opposite
I put fold up work tops in, changed most of everything in fact !!
Our present one we love the layout, but most of the electrics have been changed ( made simpler with better quality stuff to boot ), extra sockets fitted, extra 12v points fitted.. Changed the water pump for something better, moved the leisure batteries from the original location to somewhere more secure and better.. fitted solar panels, fitted st system, changed the location of the tv mount, ..
The list goes on and on !!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I have had a lot of new items and thinks on my new unit, but it had to be done by dealer or authorised person so as not to invalidate any warranty etc. Pain as it costs ÂŁ60 odd per hour

Did your dealer tell you that?

Surely, unless you're making structural or other major changes, it wouldn't affect any warranty.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

I am afraid you have been fed the party line Zigi
No matter what a dealer might tell you that whole practice has long since been made completely illegal under EU trading laws.

If the work being carried out relates to anything OEM fitted it MUST be replaced with an OEM part
If however it is a modification then what you have been told is absolute tosh
The warranty guarantees the original vehicle as it was sold to you
If you have something done and what is done causes something on concerning the original build to fail then yes, what they say is true..
But of course, if you have something fitted by someone other than the original dealer then that new item is covered by the fitters warranty and does not affect or have anything to do with the OEM build

A for instance which might help clarify
You buy a 50 grand Merc car
You get your local bod to service it for a few quid
The sunroof fails..
Is the fault under warranty ?

Yes of course it is. The sun roof failing has nothing to do with what gets done on a service

On the flip side.. If the big ends go and they find the chap has not used a Merc oil filter or has used oil not conforming to the Merc specs, then that engine would not be under warranty
Equally, if the correct parts had been used the engine would be covered.

It is not even as if this is a recent change.. Must be more than 20 years ago it happened.
And yes, there were a few test cases.. all of which ( that I know of and were published in the trade mags ) and every one went the way of the consumer.
Nowadays dealers no longer push their luck.. Even though they will put the frightners in you !!
It is a practice I personally deplore as underhanded and quite frankly bordering on a scam

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Did your dealer tell you that?

Surely, unless you're making structural or other major changes, it wouldn't affect any warranty.

You are right. Drilling into body for gas points, shower or solar etc we do. Not for mounting tables and that sort of thing. We looked at a few units that were 1 or 2 years and had been modified in some way and whole heartedly agree with @Oriel , you must use quality stuff. Some didn't and they looked awful One even cut a large hole to feed a scart lead to his TV, and was trying to sell it without the TV leaving a huge cut out in a brand new cupboard. The TV point was right beside it and the lead could have come out there!!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Snag with online threads, sometimes not all the facts get put over straight away or correctly. Many thanks @Jaws and totally get what you say, but I meant warranty with the fitted item and original OEM. If I break the water integrity of the unit by cutting holes in it and then it leaks, then I am screwed, but if an authorised person / dealer does it and it fails, then it will still be covered by some ones warranty. No scare mungering going on, it was a "reminder" that on a brand new unit, do you want to risk it especially if you don't know exactly what parts or bits you may need. - Like wot I don't suppose.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
K.. I get what you say but let me ask this.
You want to fit a gas filler in the body.
You cut the hole and fit it..
Now what are the chances THAT is gonna leak or cause a problem ?
Pretty much zero :)
Now if you took the van back for a leaky window, and they said 'oh no sir.. you have fitted something non standard by an unaccredited person and have now invalidated your warranty' then they really would not have a leg to stand on !!

In all honesty unless someone is contemplating changing the whole side of a van, or changing a door or seal for something none standard, it is highly unlikely the average owner is going to do something to invalidate anything at all ( though I admit I have seen some absolutely horrendous solar panel fittings done by individuals !! )

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are several things we would like to add but are worried about drilling and devaluing the van. One modification we would like to make is 2 smaller hinged (maybe) tables as the one we have is too big and heavy for just two of us. Even adding more hooks makes me nervous!
What MH have you got? I've done loads of mods to my MHs over the years the most 'invasive' being fitting a through the roof telescopic aerial (now that was a BIG hole), replacing 2 roof vents including frames, putting on a bike rack (drilling through back wall), fitting solar panels, refillable gas systems etc. I've also done lots of other mods such as putting up shelves, changing the tables, moving heating vents, putting in extra sockets etc ... so long as you do it correctly and it looks like it was meant to be there from new there's nothing to worry about, alternatively do it in such a way that when you remove it when you sell it on, it doesn't leave unsightly holes etc - nothing worse than a MH that's been 'tortured'!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
What MH have you got? I've done loads of mods to my MHs over the years the most 'invasive' being fitting a through the roof telescopic aerial (now that was a BIG hole), replacing 2 roof vents including frames, putting on a bike rack (drilling through back wall), fitting solar panels, refillable gas systems etc. I've also done lots of other mods such as putting up shelves, changing the tables, moving heating vents, putting in extra sockets etc ... so long as you do it correctly and it looks like it was meant to be there from new there's nothing to worry about, alternatively do it in such a way that when you remove it when you sell it on, it doesn't leave unsightly holes etc - nothing worse than a MH that's been 'tortured'!
Absolutely spot-on. I think the key phrase is "looks like it was meant to be there". As a resolute second-hand motorhome buyer I've seen some very tortured vans.:) Part of the fun of ownership for me is making improvements. On this one: folding table, 4M awning to replace 3.5M, extra 12v & 240v sockets, external gas & 240v sockets, and more I can't remember. Still more to do.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Many of us have. It's all logged in here, do a bit if searching.

Must admit I gulped a bit just before taking a 70mm holesaw to the side of the van. Definitely measure twice cut once.

Ripping out the original table and two seats was a bit stressful too but hugely successful.

OP
OP
S
Aug 18, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all your replies.

Not worked out how to reply with quotes yet But I think Jaws reply re the van is for us and our use and we have no intention of selling is a very sensible way of looking at it.

Minxygirl it is a Bolero 722 not brand new but still under warranty .

Oriel, husband is very competent, he is a builder and very fussy, not worried about having solar panels etc fitted, was just worried about changing or adding different fittings inside.

Techno100, that is exactly what I had in mind for tables perfect That's the project for next weekend.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think I have modified most things in the van, and still we are not finished. So far the mod list is:
CB Radio and Aerial fitted
Panasonic CD player replaced with Alpine Bluetooth unit and iPod connectivity
Fridge has had thermostatic cooling fans fitted
Reversing monitor removed from rear view mirror, and large monitor attached to dash
240 volt TV replaced with Avtec 12v unit

Not really mods, more additions:
2TB NAS storage and 4g router wired into 12v system.
1GB internal wired network for above

Things we have yet to tick off of the list:
Beeny boxes
Solar panels
2kw inverter

We also have a useless cupboard under the TV area, it is very deep but quite narrow, I think it would make an ideal location for a slide out bar unit. I have a carpenter friend working on a design for this :D

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Would not swear to it but any modifications to your motorhome the insurance company needs to be made aware as it could result under some circumstances of them refusing to pay out if a claim is made.Not that i abide by it .lol

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Would not swear to it but any modifications to your motorhome the insurance company needs to be made aware as it could result under some circumstances of them refusing to pay out if a claim is made.Not that i abide by it .lol
Yes, that is important, I have kept insurance informed. Although I think the girl got quite tired after me reading out the list this year! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back