Apple's new Safari 4, better than Firefox ? . (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For years I have been a keen fan of Firefox and still am, but was tempted to try the out the all new Safari 4 . the Apple Mac browser, also available for PC

Rather than me ramble on about it, have a look at the features and see what you think..

>>> Safari 4<<<

>>>150 Features<<<

It's early days to make a full comparison but I do like the new Cover Flow ...

Link Removed

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Got the update at the beginning of the week (on a MacBook pro). Works fine for me and I like the new Top Sites feature (as shown in Jim's post). I have set is as my opening 'page'. Not entirely convinced about cover-flow in the bookmarks section, but then I'm not a fan of it in iTunes either. I have had one freeze to date, but then that is not unexpected in a new release. I expect there will be an update very quickly as Apple discover a few glitches. This tends to happen with any new software version release.
Regarding safety, I tend not to be too concerned when running Mac, and on my Windoze PCs I rely on the AV and firewall defences rather than being too concerned about the security built into the browser. I think Firefox and Safari are pretty good in that respect, although the bad guys make a bee-line for IE and try to abuse any new release.

By the way, I use both FF and Safari on the Mac. Safari as the default browser and FF for sites that don't like Safari. I feel that Safari runs quicker than FF on the Mac, but I think the cookie control is easier to manage in FF. On Windoze, I have used FF as my default browser for years. Occasionally 'play' with Safari but not really seriously.

Philip

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Think this browser maybe ideal for mac and as you say ; however the safety issues using windows would concern me particulary the bonjour issues, would certyainly disable that.

Having said that looks good may try it see how it goes.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Think this browser maybe ideal for mac and as you say ; however the safety issues using windows would concern me particulary the bonjour issues, would certyainly disable that.

Having said that looks good may try it see how it goes.

Let us know how you get on, I haven't tried Safari 4 on Windoze yet .. waiting for someone else ..:ROFLMAO: Like Philip I've always used FF on the PC

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Let us know how you get on, I haven't tried Safari 4 on Windoze yet .. waiting for someone else ..:ROFLMAO: Like Philip I've always used FF on the PC

ok loaded up no problems works fine with windoze (vista) so i guess it should work in xp, i have not loaded bonjour on setup, as i think it would be risky.

So far so good no freezes yet, i think there could be an issue with UAC ;but that was the first thing i disabled on vista. still playing with the features and so far so good.

Obviously there will be bugs and fixes, always is with new browsers ;but does have the potential of becoming a popular browser.

Browsing is just as quick as IE8 if not quicker ;but do have ad-dons in IE8 which tend to slow things down a bit.

Regards

noticed whilst typing spell checker is auto-checking as i type underling in red different.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

HAVE YOU DOWNLOADED COOLIRIS THROUGH FIREFOX,ITS GOT A SCREEN THE SAME AS ABOVE.

Hi

yes, I use Cooliris on FF .. grant you the screenshots look similar but that's where it ends.

Cooliris is a picture viewer, you really need to try Safari 4 to appreciate the difference .. it uses the same Cover Flow feature as iTunes to show your favorite sites, web page viewing history, address book etc

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back