Brand New (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Having just seen a thread on here about someone going abroad to pick up a brand new hymer it made me think,,,(no sympathy required for what i am about to say thankyou) lol I have never been in a position to buy something like this,a vehicle or a house brand new,,with the knowledge that no one has driven it,or even lived in it,cooked in the kitchen,bathed in the tub etc... I have only ever had, used or second hand vehicles and indeed houses,, Even though i feel chuffed when i aquire something new to me i do often wonder what it must be like being the first to live in it,drive it etc,,,what does it feel like???

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's nice if you can afford it but there is nothing wrong with used and as Stef has said you pay lots of Vat for new.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Expensive:)

Ha ha ha

not sure i would want a new house to be honest..iffy build and no character

unless filthy rich...you start off with used, trade your way up (as you save) and can afford better surely?

it eventually gets to a point when the jump from a used to new not so eye watering

that is my take anyway..nearly new worth considering as well

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We're fortunate in that we do have new cars and, personally speaking, I'd say that you get used to it - it becomes normality. As for houses, we prefer old and quirky to new build, so can't comment.

It is nice - there's no denying it but having said that I wouldn't want to buy new if I had to stretch to afford it. - we don't have finance on our vehicles or MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No idea !!!
I have only ever bought one vehicle new ( for private use rather than for business ) .. and I swore I would never do the same again !

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Whether buying a car, house or motorhome the advantages of buying new are hopefully getting the exact design, model, extras that you want. To avoid a high initial depreciation you need to plan to keep for a long time

Buying secondhand does obviously have a higher risk, but you often benefit from extras added, and paid for, by someone else

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No idea !!!
I have only ever bought one vehicle new ( for private use rather than for business ) .. and I swore I would never do the same again !
Wot 'e sed. Never again ever!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My current PVC is the only new vehicle I have ever had. However much I enjoy it it doesn't detract from the memories I have of my first one - a knackered converted ambulance! It's not the money you spend that is the issue it's how you use what little you have that is important.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If you take every MH horror story here (new and secondhand) and then consider most of that stuff will be at some stage for sale second hand:Eeek:......concentrates the mind.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just done it...So will let you know

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
A motorhome is no different to any other motor vehicle. The moment you drive it onto the highway you lose the VAT. It doesn't matter what motorhome you've bought, 20% of a lot is a lot.
None of us know what the future holds for us (well, maybe Jihadi John had a pretty good idea), but unless you keep the vehicle for a considerable time the loss will be huge.
And if your circumstances change and you part with it soon after buying it, it may cause your eyes may bleed.
Stef.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Having just seen a thread on here about someone going abroad to pick up a brand new hymer it made me think,,,(no sympathy required for what i am about to say thankyou) lol I have never been in a position to buy something like this,a vehicle or a house brand new,,with the knowledge that no one has driven it,or even lived in it,cooked in the kitchen,bathed in the tub etc... I have only ever had, used or second hand vehicles and indeed houses,, Even though i feel chuffed when i aquire something new to me i do often wonder what it must be like being the first to live in it,drive it etc,,,what does it feel like???

We bought a brand new very expensive motorhome because we liked the layout inside. I drove out of the showroom feeling pretty good and parked it on the drive at home thinking it was the bees knees.

Then I felt like a prat. I was thinking about the nearly 10k I had just lost in VAT and the other 5/6k I would loose in depreciation in the first year. Yes, I knew all about that before bought the motorhome but put it to the back of my mind.

The upside is that for the amount we have used it the cost of hotels etc would be stunningly high and we just couldn't have afforded it or had the freedom and enjoyment its given us. Of course, we could have done the same trips in a used motorhome and the difference in price would have paid for all our travel expenses and left some change maybe.

We bought new because was the only motorhome we had seen after lots of research that exactly fitted all out needs, we could have compromised but our circumstances were such that we decided not to.

Its going to be interesting when we come to sell to see what we might get for it.

I have always had used cars, presently I have a Mercedes that look like it just came out of the showroom, is in tip top order and has done 30k miles. I paid only a small fraction of what it cost new so in buying it used I got an awful lot of car for the money with pretty much every bell and whistle I would ever want.

So to answer your question, with the motorhome I felt great, then like a prat, then pleased with what it offers us, but I we could have compromised and bought a lot cheaper.

With the car I feel I got very good value and that the saving on that perhaps offsets the spending on the motorhome.

My advice, if you were contemplating either purchase is to go for what you are comfortable with as long as you can afford it. Remember that brand new item is second hand the moment you drive it away from the dealer and paying all that VAT is a mugs game unless you really want that specific item.

Bottom line is, no one you meet on the road will know you are not the original owner, neither will they care.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You lose all the VAT when you drive away.....Seriously? Or is that what UK dealers claim (another USP?:censored:)

When I look at new and nearly new in Germany that don't add up...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It feels great, knowing that you are the only one to have owned it but that soon wears off.

We have bought new in the past:

Swift Suntor 590RS - heavily reduced by dealer as new model/facelifted model out, same price (actually better) than a second hand one!

Rapido 709F - no choice as it was a new model out so couldn't be had secnd hand however, it was heavily discounted by the manufacturer when first launched, so even buying secondhand if we could have woudn't have made any difference financially.

Rimor Sailer 645TC - dealer wanted shot of it PDQ as he'd bought a low garage model and couldn't sell it to his 'motor track' buyers as their bikes wouldn't fit ... got it for an absolute stonking price (ie at cost!).

Chausson Flash 04 - again new year model no secondhand ones (not keen on previous year's models) and the deal we got matched any for a secondhand one we could've got anyway.

Our last 2 PVCs were nearly new:

Autocruise Accent @ 1 month old - previous owner's Mum couldn't get on with the fixed rear bed so they only used it for 1 night ... got it at a great price (about £5k below new)

Globecar FamilyScoutL ex-demo - we were at a motorhome show at the time and saw it there - as we'd already arranged to go see one at another dealer a few days later at the end of the show, we negotiated with the show dealer hard and he matched (actually bettered) the PX so it was a no brainer (and a better PVC to boot we think).

So, in a nutshell for us buying new didn't actually cost us any more than we would have paid for the same/similar MH/PVC second hand, of a similar age etc, but you do have to do your research and bide your time so that you aren't tempted to just 'jump' at the first nice one you see.

It is nice to be the first owner though ... especially if you've got it for the price of a second hand one too! :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You lose all the VAT when you drive away.....Seriously? Or is that what UK dealers claim (another USP?:censored:)

Not sure Eddie, just had a shuftie and found this:

https://www.gov.uk/vat-vehicle-sales/y/someone-in-the-uk/new

Charge standard-rate VAT
Charge the standard rate of 20% on the total cost of the vehicle, including:
  • accessories - even if a different rate of VAT is charged when they’re sold separately (eg children’s car seats)
  • the deposit - account for it in the VAT period you receive it
  • the registration fee and vehicle tax if you first register the vehicle in your own name
If you first register the vehicle in your customer’s name pass the cost on to them and don’t charge VAT. This is known as a ‘disbursement’.​

So it appears the only part that is NOT vatable by the dealer is the registration fee and vehicle tax if its first registered to you.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Those nearly new engines will have been nicely loosened up with a constant 100 mph down the German autobahn. :sick:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just to add on a secondhand vehicle you only pay VAT on the difference between what you paid for a vehicle and what you sold it for.

So a new £40,0000 MH would incur £8,000 VAT = £48,000
A second had £48,000 MH (bought in for £38,000), would incur £2,000 VAT on the £10,000 'margin' = £50,000

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
diesels thrive on being driven hard......its the doodler's that do damage:LOL:
That's Urban myth #127:Eeek:
In reality Thrashing a modern diesel wears the engine quicker and fills up the DPF quicker.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Whether buying a car, house or motorhome the advantages of buying new are hopefully getting the exact design, model, extras that you want. To avoid a high initial depreciation you need to plan to keep for a long time

Buying secondhand does obviously have a higher risk, but you often benefit from extras added, and paid for, by someone else

Absolutely agree.

I always buy cars second hand - you get all the added extras and benefit from massive depreciation from the previous owner.

I am fortunate to be buying our third brand new motorhome, this one just as I go into retirement. But I justify that as being at least a 9 to 10 year ownership timeframe - our last motorhome we had for 5 years but in that time it only dropped 30% from what we paid for it so on the motorhome front, I think I can justify it (anyway, I wanted a NEW one :):):))

C

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That's Urban myth #127:Eeek:
In reality Thrashing a modern diesel wears the engine quicker and fills up the DPF quicker.

I thought it cleaned the filter.....who is talking about thrashing. Would only consider nearly new low mileage one anyway If buying used. Normally get new these days as not much in it buying in Europe....

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have bought two new vans but hopefully will be keeping this one a long time.

I always have new cars but I am not going to next time because I get bored with them too quickly.

In the 12 years we have been married my wife has changed her car once and I have had about 7:doh:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No idea !!!

Why? Did you buy a vehicle that you didn't like or was it the depreciation?

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980

It's the dealers making money out of every transaction, if you pay say 20,000 pounds for a car including vat at 20%, the car is worth 4000 pounds less straight away plus a reduction in the new price.
The dealer then puts it up for sale for 18,000 pounds say, saving the new customer 2,000 pounds on the new price of the car but with no vat.
I had an argument with a car dealer about this very subject a while ago, his answer was we will sell a car on what the market will allow and if you don't like it, tough.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why? Did you buy a vehicle that you didn't like or was it the depreciation?

Depreciation.. Loved the vehicle .. But bought with heart instead of head..
Could have bought second hand at almost 1/2 the price of new.. And unless bang unlucky ( which could happen just as easily with new as second hand ) modern vehicles are really pretty damned reliable bits of kit

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Going back to what the original poster asked in respect of how it feels...

One of the things I like very much about buying new cars is the showroom experience. I also like not worrying about breakdowns, MOT's and the suchlike. It's really nice to be able to choose exactly what you want in terms of colour, gizmos, trim, etc.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Depreciation.. Loved the vehicle .. But bought with heart instead of head..
Could have bought second hand at almost 1/2 the price of new.. And unless bang unlucky ( which could happen just as easily with new as second hand ) modern vehicles are really pretty damned reliable bits of kit

Yes, can be costly. We thought similarly to you about slightly used as against new when we bought our MH. We bought slightly used... It wasn't anything like 1/2 of the new price but even so the cost between brand new and slightly used was extraordinary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back