Time to think about winter riding lighting! (1 Viewer)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Yep we use to call em dynamos :LOL:

$_1-1.JPG

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ha ha ha..I did not look at link just thought it a timely reminder:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
D'you know what? We came home this evening at about 7.45 and just approaching Sandwich we overtook a cyclist on the road with no lights. Oh Please! do some people never learn?

My DIL's nephew was killed while cycling in broad daylight and he was a training tri-athlete not some bl@@dy numpty.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I'm afraid its turbo trainer time for me in the garage. Unless you are in a very well lit up area a front cycle light just does not pick out the potholes and its even worse if the road is wet.
Of course good lights are a must so that you can be seen by others.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm afraid its turbo trainer time for me in the garage. Unless you are in a very well lit up area a front cycle light just does not pick out the potholes and its even worse if the road is wet.
Of course good lights are a must so that you can be seen by others.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Ebay CREE LED lights are cheap and bright but they are a pain in the arse for oncoming vehicles..including me on my bike. So DAZZLING.
75% of their light goes everywhere but the road and they are probably illegal in Germany where bike lights are regulated.

I can confidently call myself an all-year-round, long-distance cyclist. For over a decade I've used German lighting systems.

I use the Schmidt SON front wheel dynamo to power a Busch & Muller CYO (and lately the new CYO Premium).

German lights, such as the B&M units have a lens much like a car headlight, focused on the road ahead and with an anti-dazzle cut-off (again, like a car headlight).

I've ridden through the night many times, in all weathers, including midnight descents from Pen-Y-Pass into Llanberis (in sideways sleet).
B&M light s put the light where you want it and, if you have a dynamo front wheel, it's always there.

If you don't want to shell out for a dynamo setup...
I also have the B&M IXON IQ Premium, a 4xAA Battery equivalent. Another light that has served me well on all night rides.
These are light to see by rather than just be seen by.

B&M IXON IQ Premium

I never use USB-charged lights because I know I can always buy 4xAA batteries at a late night garage if desperate.

I use Cateye LD600 and LD610 rear LEDs. They are battery powered by 2AAA batteries which last for weeks and are very eye-catching.
(I tend to use 2 rear lights in tandem, in case one fails and I don't notice.)

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
My bikes LED lights are powered via the 36v motor battery....but i have more sense than venture out after dark.

In my opinion you are missing out on one of the great joys of cycling.
Having said that, if you don't enjoy it then you don't enjoy it.
I've cycled most of my life, I cycle long distance and sometimes all night. I'm very comfortable and confident on a bike but I appreciate that not everyone is.

I ride with friends to a Hampshire country pub every Thursday evening, every week, every month, all year (unless there are icy conditions, which is rare around here).
From now until late May the ride will be in the dark, on totally unlit country lanes... and it's wonderful.

To some extent I think cyclists on the lanes around here, appropriately dressed and lit, are more visible at night than in the daytime, especially with a low Autumn or Winter sun.

I tend to ride home alone when we leave the pub and so I get to experience the serenity of Hampshire countryside at night.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my opinion you are missing out on one of the great joys of cycling.
Having said that, if you don't enjoy it then you don't enjoy it.
I've cycled most of my life, I cycle long distance and sometimes all night. I'm very comfortable and confident on a bike but I appreciate that not everyone is.

I ride with friends to a Hampshire country pub every Thursday evening, every week, every month, all year (unless there are icy conditions, which is rare around here).
From now until late May the ride will be in the dark, on totally unlit country lanes... and it's wonderful.

To some extent I think cyclists on the lanes around here, appropriately dressed and lit, are more visible at night than in the daytime, especially with a low Autumn or Winter sun.

I tend to ride home alone when we leave the pub and so I get to experience the serenity of Hampshire countryside at night.
I hear what you're saying but i cycle for exercise after heart surgery, not for pleasure.
The battery power is to help until my fitness level improves.
Being a fat (ish) ugly bugger i prefer my car but you dont get exersize driving a car.
:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back