Battery monitors... (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
On the sergeant control panel in our MH there is a button we can press that shows the remaining charge left in the vehicle battery or the leisure battery .. But it's basic to say the least. Not sure I would trust it to be honest.

So I'm thinking along the lines of either a battery monitor for just the leisure battery or one for each battery.

How easy are these things to wire ? Is it just a simple wire to each terminal on the battery up to the monitor display or is there more to it ?

Cheers

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As you say, two wires from simple digital voltmeter one to each terminal, but you want a very low current fuse in the positive line right on the terminal

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Monitors such as the NASA BM1 require a 100amp shunt on the battery but it still only calculates from a known capacity and voltage in much the same way as the sergeant unit.
The difference being it will show you in real time what current (amps) is being drawn and replaced at any give time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The Stirling monitor shown in the first photo..would be capable of doing what you want... you would need a shunt for each battery bank you want to monitor for current and the amp hour function is only available on one circuit. ...There is no estimating and inputting the battery bank capacity... simply start off from fully charged batteries and a zero reading on the amp hr's.
20151112_122407.jpg

I'll add a photo of a Chinese version at a fraction of the cost but not got round to playing with it yet..The instructions for setting it up were a bit more involved and put me off :).. With that one you might need one for each battery bank... can't remember...
Some say they are unnecessary,but I find the Stirling one great..and judging by the number of people who keep asking what their electrical usage and state is ,a worthwhile device if you have the money to get and fit one..
Ta Andy.
20151112_122620.jpg

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Monitors such as the NASA BM1 require a 100amp shunt on the battery but it still only calculates from a known capacity and voltage in much the same way as the sergeant unit.
The difference being it will show you in real time what current (amps) is being drawn and replaced at any give time.

The Nasa is the one I like the look of. I saw it has a "shunt" but a bit unsure what it does or how it would wire in which is why I asked the question above.

What is this shunt and what does it do ?

Would I need one panel for the leisure battery and another for the vehicle battery ?

Is the Nasa BM1 a surface mount panel ? It looks in the pictures like a thin panel and that would suit what I have in mind..

Thanks !

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
What is this shunt and what does it do ?

Would I need one panel for the leisure battery and another for the vehicle battery

the shunt is just a very low known resistance which is wired in series with the battery bank in quite often either the positive or negative side.. the wires (light duty) off each end of the shunt measure the small volt drop for a given current and displays that current flow on the panel..
not sure whether the Nasa one has the facility for more than one shunt to be connected but know the stirling one in the photo above has..
ta andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'll add a photo of a Chinese version at a fraction of the cost but not got round to playing with it yet..The instructions for setting it up were a bit more involved and put me off :).. With that one you might need one for each battery bank... can't remember...
Some say they are unnecessary,but I find the Stirling one great..and judging by the number of people who keep asking what their electrical usage and state is ,a worthwhile device if you have the money to get and fit one..
Ta Andy.
View attachment 82765
I think you will find the factory settings as it comes work fine. If you want to make wiring easy they now do a wireless add on for about 20 quid so you don't need to run any wires from the shunt to the meter.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I seem to remember a thread perhaps a couple of years ago (by Gromett I think) based on experience of both the Nasa and Victron battery monitors and the writer came down in favour of the Victron unit.
http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-700
The victron as far as I can work out is not a flat panel.. For the installation I plan to do I need a flat panel that doesent stick out far.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
No you will need to cut no matter what monitoring system you fit.
View attachment 82826
I think the Nasa one if a flat panel... If it's not the Nasa compact is. I can't cut behind where I want to mount it so its s flat one or I have to start again.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
The wire is no problem.. Cutting the panel is not possible.. I think the standard Nasa BM1 is also s flat panel.. Flatter in fact than the one in your link.
No, not true. I have a NASA-BM1 in my self-build and it definitely needed a round hole cutting for the body to drop into. The square display that sits on top of the panel is about 1cm thick but the round body extends rearwards form the back.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
No, not true. I have a NASA-BM1 in my self-build and it definitely needed a round hole cutting for the body to drop into. The square display that sits on top of the panel is about 1cm thick but the round body extends rearwards form the back.

Mmmmm . When I googled the Nasa BM1 dimensions it said 110 X 110 X 27...... There was no mention about it requiring a cut out at the rear . I sent a message to an EBay seller asking if the item was as it appeared a flat screen device which required no cutting behind it as I have no space to cut. The reply was that it is just as it appears a flat screen....

Back to square one .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back