Tax for motorhome - Help Please (1 Viewer)

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Coming up for a year ago I bought my first motorhome.
Now all the annual renewals are becoming due.
The first is the tax disc.

The DVLA (bless them) have sent me a reminder that arived this morning and is due at end of month.

Now the problem. For the last 15 years or so I've driven company owned cars, so when the tax was due, the disc just arrived through the post from the company car people. (sometimes a day or so late but I had nothing to do with it).

Reading the form I have to fill in .... there is a box marked 'If you do not need a Goods Vehicle Test Certificate (IE the vehicle is exempt) put a X in the box and see section B overleaf.

Looked at section B, think its written in some ancient dialect. Also looked at the refered to web site. (Got a humdinger of a migraine now!)

So simple question to all you people who have done this thing for many years .....

Q - Is my motorhome exempt and do I put a X in the box ?

Many thanks in advance for a simple answer.

Walking down the pub now for lunch.

Cheers

Peter

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could be . if its over 3,500kg gross weight. u will need vii2g form from post office.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Exemptions

If it is less than three years old, it is "exempt", but I rather think DVLC are referring to other type of exemptions, such as Tractors, Track laying vehicle, articulated vehicles, with ubiquitous "works truck", hackney carriages, electric powered vehicles, etc etc. Can you not tax your vehicle "on line", saves a load of messing and queuing with the pensioners and benefit claimants at the Post Office?
From DVLA website:
Under section 47 of the Road
Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence
to use a car, motorcycle or light
goods vehicle without an MoT
certificate on a public road unless
the vehicle is ‘exempt’ from MoT
testing (that is, it does not have to
have an MoT test) because it is:
• one of the types listed ‘a’ to ‘n’
over the page; or
• less than three years old.
a) Motor tractors
b) Track-laying vehicles
c) Articulated vehicles that are not
buses (Bendi buses) or lorries
d) Works trucks
e) Invalid carriages weighing no
more than 306kg when unloaded
f) Vehicles used only to pass from
land occupied by the person
keeping the vehicle to other
land occupied by them, and not
travelling on the road for more
than a total of six miles a week
g) Hackney carriages or
private-hire vehicles licensed
by local authorities authorised
to check the roadworthiness
of these vehicles
h) Hackney carriages (vehicles
licensed to carry passengers)
getting tax discs from Transport
for London
i) Vehicles provided for police
purposes and maintained
in an approved workshop
j) Goods vehicles powered
by electricity
k) Trams
l) Trolley vehicles that are not
auxiliary trolley vehicles (auxiliary
trolley vehicles are vehicles
that are adapted to run from
power provided from a source
on board when it is not running
from power from some outside
source)
m) Vehicles authorised to be used
on the road by a Special Types
General Order made under
Section 44(3) of the Road
Traffic Act 1988
n) Vehicles used only on certain
islands that do not have a
bridge, tunnel, ford or other
suitable way for motor vehicles
to be conveniently driven to a
road in any part of Great Britain
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
peter H

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
If it is less than three years old, it is "exempt", but I rather think DVLC are referring to other type of exemptions, such as Tractors, Track laying vehicle, articulated vehicles, with ubiquitous "works truck", hackney carriages, electric powered vehicles, etc etc. Can you not tax your vehicle "on line", saves a load of messing and queuing with the pensioners and benefit claimants at the Post Office?
From DVLA website:
Under section 47 of the Road
Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence
to use a car, motorcycle or light
goods vehicle without an MoT
certificate on a public road unless
the vehicle is ‘exempt’ from MoT
testing (that is, it does not have to
have an MoT test) because it is:
• one of the types listed ‘a’ to ‘n’
over the page; or
• less than three years old.
a) Motor tractors
b) Track-laying vehicles
c) Articulated vehicles that are not
buses (Bendi buses) or lorries
d) Works trucks
e) Invalid carriages weighing no
more than 306kg when unloaded
f) Vehicles used only to pass from
land occupied by the person
keeping the vehicle to other
land occupied by them, and not
travelling on the road for more
than a total of six miles a week
g) Hackney carriages or
private-hire vehicles licensed
by local authorities authorised
to check the roadworthiness
of these vehicles
h) Hackney carriages (vehicles
licensed to carry passengers)
getting tax discs from Transport
for London
i) Vehicles provided for police
purposes and maintained
in an approved workshop
j) Goods vehicles powered
by electricity
k) Trams
l) Trolley vehicles that are not
auxiliary trolley vehicles (auxiliary
trolley vehicles are vehicles
that are adapted to run from
power provided from a source
on board when it is not running
from power from some outside
source)
m) Vehicles authorised to be used
on the road by a Special Types
General Order made under
Section 44(3) of the Road
Traffic Act 1988
n) Vehicles used only on certain
islands that do not have a
bridge, tunnel, ford or other
suitable way for motor vehicles
to be conveniently driven to a
road in any part of Great Britain
Steve

Its 1 year old next month.

Peter

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Just take the reminder form to a Post Office with your insurance certificate and a cheque, dead easy.:thumb:

Peter

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
seconded for doing it online, much easier,

my motorhome is classed as a private HGV as it's over 3.5 tons, but that thing about goods vehicle stuff dosent apply... that's on all reminders, even the one for my motorbike,

OP
OP
peter H

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Many thanks one and all.

Did it on line. Never felt a thing.

Cheers

Peter

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
you feel it later when your bank statement comes thru showing how much it's cost you :)

i was pleased when i converted my van to a 4.5 tonner, the tax went down!!! it's a tenner a year less for a PHGV than a PLGV, this is for older vehicles on engine size based tax rates mind, not the emmisions based ones..

for that i have my diesel smart car, which i pay nothing to tax as the emmisions are the lowest of all cars,

OP
OP
peter H

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
you feel it later when your bank statement comes thru showing how much it's cost you :)

i was pleased when i converted my van to a 4.5 tonner, the tax went down!!! it's a tenner a year less for a PHGV than a PLGV, this is for older vehicles on engine size based tax rates mind, not the emmisions based ones..

for that i have my diesel smart car, which i pay nothing to tax as the emmisions are the lowest of all cars,

£165 for 12 mths

Let the bank manager about that is my motto.

Your never broke as long as there is a cheque left in the cheque book.

Peter

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi gazznsam . maybe you should have a look at form v112g. its not the same as v112. if your vehicle is a phgv it could be usefull. there is 36 excemptions all you have to do is find the right one.

TandH

Free Member
Jan 7, 2009
Banffshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
2 year
Tax for Motorhome

Hi, I am in a similar situation. Had to go throught the procedure of changing the class from a van to a motor caravan on the V5. However it is still registered as a Light Goods and not Private Light Goods. How do I get this changed?

T

terryvanman

Deleted User
I just changed my tax on my bilbo celex LWB fron a diesel car to private light goods
and the cost went from £405 a year to £190
if any of you have a LWB from bilbos and are paying £405 a year do it at your local DVLA office:thumb:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
It seems by some of the comments here that certain members of the motorhome fraternity think its not cool or somehow beneath there social standing to support their local post office .
It seems that all the cusomers are benefit claimants or Oaps i am not sure i really understand whats being suggested here or maybe i do .
Most Postmasters that i know would have been happy to provide the advice needed here or advised how to proceed
Palaceboy

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Hi
It seems by some of the comments here that certain members of the motorhome fraternity think its not cool or somehow beneath there social standing to support their local post office .
It seems that all the cusomers are benefit claimants or Oaps i am not sure i really understand whats being suggested here or maybe i do .
Most Postmasters that i know would have been happy to provide the advice needed here or advised how to proceed
Palaceboy

I always use our village post office to tax my vehicles on the principle ( or is that principal: all pedants invited to comment:roflmto: ) 'use it or lose it'....anyway it gets me out of the house and sees people:Smile:

Harvey

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Hi
Palaceboy

I do agree that we should support local POs but the small one near where I live doesn't do road tax. The nearest one in in the shopping centre in the back of WHSmiths,and true I have to run the gauntlet of chavs,Giro chasers and rejects from Darwins lab!!!

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i used to tax my vehicles at the post office, till i moved to a village on the outskirts of nottingham, the post office there didnt do tax discs, so i had to drive to the nearest town, if i had only the motorhome for transport i would never get parked, in a car it's a quid to park if you can find a space within 5 miles of the post office,

then you have to stand in line with all the old gimmers smelling of wee... :roflmto:

but when i changed my van's taxation class to PHGV, i had to go to the dvla office in nottingham for the first tax disc, it was printed by computer there and then, and since then i've had reminders telling me to do it online as it's easier, so i have done, and must admit it's bloomin easy, no faffing about with the person at the counter scrutinising the insurance doc, which is always worn from the way i fold it to fit in me wallet, dont have to dig the mot cert out, it's all stored online, so a few clicks and there's a tax disc on the door mat in a few days.

i do support local post offices when i can, if i'm out and about for a while, i'll get any mail sent home forwarded to me where i am using the poste resante thingy, when we buy stamps we get em from the post office to get the pretty ones, not the bog standard ones with some birds head on them :RollEyes:

and of course if i sell owt on ebay i use the post office, i tried the print your own postage thing once, and had weighed the parcel wrong by 5 grams, which took it over into the next price plan, so the reciever had to pay the extra with a 'fine' and i very nearly got a negative for that, so i now take it down and let them weigh it and tell me the best postage option for me,
easier than navigating royal mails website anyday... but i now live in the town with the large post office, and can borrow sams scooter and park outside it,

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
france has another great idea, the proof of insurance displayed on the windscreen,

came in handy knowing about that when some twonk turned too soon in a hire van whilst we were parked up, and scraped along our bumper,

he refused to give his name or anything, so when he bagan to walk off, i took a photo of the insurance docket on the screen, he suddenly realised he could then be traced by the time he'd hired the van when i sent in a claim to the hire companies insurers, along with the failing to report, give details etc that i assume apply there too.

his wallet flew out his pocked and 50 euro's was thrust into my hands with loads of appologies, and begging me to delete the photo's i had taken of him as he walked back to the van when he noticed my cameras flash going off.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just take the reminder form to a Post Office with your insurance certificate and a cheque, dead easy.:thumb:

Peter

not so any more peter,

reminder is no good at the post office, you need the log book, insurance and MOT, if applicable.

tried twice at our local P.O. with the reminder for different vehicles and got sent away in tears:cry:

i do it online now:thumb: i figure im paying for postage in the price so i let them post it.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi
the previous post is wrong you just need a current reminder , insurance certificate .and mot if needed . You will require the log book v5 if you havent got a current reminder usually because the vehicle has been sorned off road .
Wanderer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back