Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Ok I am a bit thick so I need you to help me understand. Wheel ramps, why do you all use them? I assumed they were for levelling when the ground is uneven but I often see vans placed on level ground so the front is higher than the back. Ok most are done to make the habitation area level thus getting the fridge level which I guess is important but why does nearly every motorhome use them because I don't, am I not a real motorhomer then?? (n)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have them and occasionally use them, some people can't stand their MHs being even slightly out of level but then again some aren't overly bothered so long as their beer doesn't slide off the table!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't use them unless there is an obvious big slope. As long as the wine glass doesn't slide off the table it's near enough for me.

EDIT: @MinxyGirl Great minds (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Some people just don't like level :LOL:
level-XL.jpg

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Both my Autocruise and Autotrail were nose down when parked up so I had to use the ramps to level up. Yes its for the fridge but is also for the interior doors that can swing the wrong way when on a slope. I also had the problem of shower water not draining away unless I jacked the back offside slightly.
Ive now sorted all my issues by buying a Hymer Exsis i, no more problems. :D(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is an old chestnut. Some folk don't seem to care, others like me prefer the water to drain properly from the shower tray and not have to fight with cupboard doors. Of course careful choice of parking spot can mean you don't need them but when they are needed and can be used, which on an aire may not be possible, they make life better for us. A bit of practice helps!

It's hardly a big issue, use them or don't use them, entirely up to you. Probably best to spend less time worrying about what other people do and just get out there and do some motorhoming. You'll soon work out what works best for you. :)

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Virtually never use them unles absolutely necessary which is not often. Parking on the natural ground is all part of the experience.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We're OK so long as we're not sleeping heads-downhill, so we choose which way to park (ask a site warden nicely if they mind and they never have so far!) so we mostly don't use them unless the slope is excessive, like the edge pitches at Culloden.

But I did see this back in April at Bath Marina, where this particular pitch was subsiding

IMG_1790.JPG

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We find that "levellish" is good enough.
But the ramps are used quite a lot.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
My new Dometic fridge refuses to work over a 7 degree angle of slope. Never thought I would use the spirit level app on my phone so much.:( Did not ever have that issue with the old fridge, and have had to buy some ramps o_O

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We park up and walk along the interior of the M/H. If we can do it comfortably we don't see any need for ramps.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Every van we have owned apart from the Hobby has always naturally sat nose down
In the early days we were both very sensitive to any deviation from dead flat... And in both the Hobby and the Miller so was the fridge !
Anything more than a degree or so off the level and the fridge output fell..
Nowadays we do not really worry about it.. It has got to be miles out before the ramps come in to play nowadays ! ( unless we are plotted up in one place for a few days... then they get used but it is mainly just because we have them so why not ! )

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not like my feet up and head down to sleep or rolling sideways on uneven surfaces, like the Rutland site. Just do not drive over the end, BONK.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We're fine till the wine in Mrs Badknees glass slops over the side of the glass then it's either ramps out or we move :LOL:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Last week we watched a poor MH'er backing his brand new van onto front ramps on gravel. Skid-skid-crunch, the left ramp flew backwards under the van and broke. Hopefully it didn't break anything under the van!
Lesson learned (by us) - never use ramps on gravel without an anti-slip mat underneath!
(I think also you're not supposed to back onto front ramps/ drive forwards onto rear ramps?)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
(I think also you're not supposed to back onto front ramps/ drive forwards onto rear ramps?)

That sounds like a ressepy, reccapy, reserpy. That's just asking for trouble that is. :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're fine till the wine in Mrs Badknees glass slops over the side of the glass then it's either ramps out or we move :LOL:
... I'm surprised, what with you both being funsters, that it is in the glass long enough to slop over! :rolleyes:

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I don't mind if we aren't exactly level. Les gets narked if the bathroom door falls open/closed so its spirit level out and ramps quite a lot. Have actually had them "fly off" on gravel too, scary, I now stand well back while trying to look like aa good banks woman.:whew:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last week we watched a poor MH'er backing his brand new van onto front ramps on gravel. Skid-skid-crunch, the left ramp flew backwards under the van and broke. Hopefully it didn't break anything under the van!
Lesson learned (by us) - never use ramps on gravel without an anti-slip mat underneath!
With base vehicles these days having higher reverse gear than first much easier to position on ramps & kinder on the clutch to drive forward onto ramps.

Reactions: CWH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My recently acquired Rapido, like a lot of "Coachbuilts" I notice too on sites, the unit sits front end low ALL the time. I discovered quite early that draining of the Shower is problematic and I am aware the most Fridges need to be within a few degree`s of level to work efficiently. Another point with this particular unit is the grey tank (and fresh tank) will not fully drain unless level or nose up. Hence the habitual use of Ramps, even on the driveway Stored, except when "just" overnighting.

P.S. Miss my Hydraulic levellers!.:cry::cry:. But even If I had a "spare" 3+grand to fit them, the extra load would put me over the Limit!.

Pete

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ok I am a bit thick so I need you to help me understand. Wheel ramps, why do you all use them? I assumed they were for levelling when the ground is uneven but I often see vans placed on level ground so the front is higher than the back. Ok most are done to make the habitation area level thus getting the fridge level which I guess is important but why does nearly every motorhome use them because I don't, am I not a real motorhomer then?? (n)
So.. do you get it yet?

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Oh I get it sdc77, I have a small pair of the yellow variety in the shed and I have a humungus pair of Milenco ones in the van because I believed they were needed as part of 'the kit', never used them yet so I might use them as a ski ramp if it snows...not that I ski mind you. I get the point especially about draining fluids. Personally I thing it is a design issue for van manufacturers, where the drains are put and a self levelling fridge base for example.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
On a more serious note we don't use them exept in extreme circumstances. Head up in bed is a must though but if not just turn round. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back