Is there such a breed as a hybrid Motorcaravaner, or Motorhomer Caravaner? (1 Viewer)

Rolo

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Leyland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10+
Am I the only one who thinks that some of my fellow campers are seemingly attempting to change their motorhomes in to caravans. Is this growing breed just frustrated tuggers? or are they honing their caravan skills in preparation for that dreaded day when Bessie is exchanged for a 4x4, caravan and a flaming great big awning that will take all weekend to put up.

Over this last week just watching the comings and goings on a very busy site in Cheshire gave both myself and her that must be obeyed some great entertainment, so much so she ( her ladyship) didn’t even want to go shopping at the nearby retail park!

Some of the antics we saw you would not believe..

1. Guy pitches up; puts on a wheel clamp… OK sensible I suppose, only he never left the van all-night …. Spent 20 minutes in the pouring rain the next morning trying to get the damn thing off…

2. Aqua rolls what this with motorhomes using aqua roll to fill up ? are they removing their onboard tanks just to make room for an aqua roll?

3. Grey waste tanks draining into portable grey waste tanks then being dragged to a dumping point…Hello guys 9 times out of 10 you drive past it on the way out of camp…. OK this can be acceptable in freezing weather with underslung tanks. Only a little bucket not a bleeding great tank on wheels.

4. All of a sudden every other motorhome / camper like caravans have “corner steadies” Out jumps Mrs motorhomer levelling blocks at the ready whilst family Labrador runs amok on neighbouring pitch . Mr motorhomer exits via the habitation door ( you have guessed it ) 24 volt high viz battery operated drill with diamond tipped winder… after 20 minutes walking around like John Wayne looking at his handiwork he starts the next task.

5. The satellite dish …. After a lot of looking up at the sky, or should I say the tree that Just happend to appear from nowhere and right in line of the required satellite. They decide to move: so out comes 24 volt high viz battery operated drill with diamond tipped winder… after 20 minutes . I think you get it. Yep pitch yomping…..
Now I must confess I love to wind people up a little bit and could not resist the chance to pull the leg of a very nice, but gullible bloke with a lovely van that just happend to have all the bells and whistles ever invented….. Apart from one. The Motortec motorhome mover? Just like a caravan mover, only designed just for motorhomes enabling the van to manoeuvre onto any pitch, level up and even deploy the satellite and support systems remotely with a little Bluetooth remote control which was operated from outside the van……..

So if anyone sees a post about MMM (motortec motorhome movers ) I am truly sorry.

lastly the guy who drove his Iveco self build all over the very neatly manicured lawns churning it up making look like a ploughed field! well done !!!!!! not

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The aquaroll is for bringing water to the motorhome, if you are at a big show the taps can be very busy when you arrive so much easier first thing in the morning and my wife might not be too impressed if I started moving the van while she was having a shower.

I don't wind legs down, that's what hydraulics are for.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Am I the only one who thinks that some of my fellow campers are seemingly attempting to change their motorhomes in to caravans.

I have an Aquaroll I use when my hoses are too short.. ( I carry 2 x 25mt) and it's inconvenient to drive to the fill up point.. beats a watering can
I also use a Waste Master to save having to move every other day to dump grey.. .. .. it also carries the toilet cassette.
I also use corner steadies occasionally but no drill machine.
I also have sat dish.. and will move if there is a block in the line of sight.. not always apparent when you pitch

each to their own.. you can watch me fill any time you like.. and even borrow my Aquroll ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Well Rolo, I guess that is why they call our toys motor caravans but most of us prefer the term Motorhome or coachbuilt to make us less associated with tuggers. Got to say that I have used the grey waste pull along thingy because it is easier, emptying the tank can take 10 minutes over a drain then you still have to lift the cover in some cases, that's a pain.
I can picture in my mind an old couple manoeuvring a large RV onto a big plot by remote, detaching the Mini Cooper off the back and again using the remote to place the car parallel to the van as the 50" TV glows on the polished leather seats in the van whilst a friend flies over in his airplane dropping twin chairs out on parachutes that land at exactly 45 degrees 3 feet from the van door just as fortnum & masons turn up with the chilled champagne and sounds off the marching band forming in the distance............Oh no I'm doing it again, fantasising, I must stop drinking...it's your fault Rolo!! :cheers:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
While I don't do any of that I am seriously considering trading in and becoming a tugger.

The MH is going back to Marquis on Friday to hopefully get yet another problem fixed (the 5th in 18 months), while there we'll be looking at caravans and considering options. I think you get more luxury in a caravan, we'll need to buy another car but I've found a very good deal on a Honda CRV which should do the job.

OP
OP
Rolo

Rolo

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Leyland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10+
While I don't do any of that I am seriously considering trading in and becoming a tugger.

The MH is going back to Marquis on Friday to hopefully get yet another problem fixed (the 5th in 18 months), while there we'll be looking at caravans and considering options. I think you get more luxury in a caravan, we'll need to buy another car but I've found a very good deal on a Honda CRV which should do the job.
Sorry to hear about your problems with the MH... we are ex tuggers and If I am really honest both types of touring can be great fun.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012

We still have our CRV with towbar and we are also thinking of going back to caravan, seen one I really like and it would release some money. We would still probably stay just 2 or 3 nights at sites. The other option is smaller MH.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I really enjoyed tuggers, ideal for weekends away and a lot more practical than a MH in many ways. I still have my CRV, common theme here one things (y). The memories of going out for the day and returning to a nice warm van, however for longer periods away you tend to drive off in every direction to see different things and it was the long drive back every time that sold us on the idea of owning a MH, with a MH you travel further and see more things and all the driving is relaxed and comfortable and clearly so much easier when you arrive in site, so no going back for me.

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
I have an Aquaroll I use when my hoses are too short.. ( I carry 2 x 25mt) and it's inconvenient to drive to the fill up point.. beats a watering can
I also use a Waste Master to save having to move every other day to dump grey.. .. .. it also carries the toilet cassette.
I also use corner steadies occasionally but no drill machine.
I also have sat dish.. and will move if there is a block in the line of sight.. not always apparent when you pitch

each to their own.. you can watch me fill any time you like.. and even borrow my Aquroll ;)
My hose is too short after too much beer! no idea what your on about as iam a newbie.:(

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Am I the only one who thinks that some of my fellow campers are seemingly attempting to change their motorhomes in to caravans. Is this growing breed just frustrated tuggers? or are they honing their caravan skills in preparation for that dreaded day when Bessie is exchanged for a 4x4, caravan and a flaming great big awning that will take all weekend to put up.

Over this last week just watching the comings and goings on a very busy site in Cheshire gave both myself and her that must be obeyed some great entertainment, so much so she ( her ladyship) didn’t even want to go shopping at the nearby retail park!

Some of the antics we saw you would not believe..

1. Guy pitches up; puts on a wheel clamp… OK sensible I suppose, only he never left the van all-night …. Spent 20 minutes in the pouring rain the next morning trying to get the damn thing off…

2. Aqua rolls what this with motorhomes using aqua roll to fill up ? are they removing their onboard tanks just to make room for an aqua roll?

3. Grey waste tanks draining into portable grey waste tanks then being dragged to a dumping point…Hello guys 9 times out of 10 you drive past it on the way out of camp…. OK this can be acceptable in freezing weather with underslung tanks. Only a little bucket not a bleeding great tank on wheels.

4. All of a sudden every other motorhome / camper like caravans have “corner steadies” Out jumps Mrs motorhomer levelling blocks at the ready whilst family Labrador runs amok on neighbouring pitch . Mr motorhomer exits via the habitation door ( you have guessed it ) 24 volt high viz battery operated drill with diamond tipped winder… after 20 minutes walking around like John Wayne looking at his handiwork he starts the next task.

5. The satellite dish …. After a lot of looking up at the sky, or should I say the tree that Just happend to appear from nowhere and right in line of the required satellite. They decide to move: so out comes 24 volt high viz battery operated drill with diamond tipped winder… after 20 minutes . I think you get it. Yep pitch yomping…..
Now I must confess I love to wind people up a little bit and could not resist the chance to pull the leg of a very nice, but gullible bloke with a lovely van that just happend to have all the bells and whistles ever invented….. Apart from one. The Motortec motorhome mover? Just like a caravan mover, only designed just for motorhomes enabling the van to manoeuvre onto any pitch, level up and even deploy the satellite and support systems remotely with a little Bluetooth remote control which was operated from outside the van……..

So if anyone sees a post about MMM (motortec motorhome movers ) I am truly sorry.

lastly the guy who drove his Iveco self build all over the very neatly manicured lawns churning it up making look like a ploughed field! well done !!!!!! not
THANK YOU - brilliantly written, best LOL I've had for ages!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back