Winter warmer.. Beef Shin Hot-pot (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
  1. Beef shin makes a fabulous hot-pot.. Love this dish in winter..

Ingredients.
    .. very rough guide.. can be altered as you see fit , more or less
    1. 400gm Beef shin.. diced
    2. 3 x large rough chopped onions
    3. 4 x or more chopped carrots
    4. 1/2 small turnip diced
    5. 4 x cloves of garlic (optional)
    6. 1 x Can of chopped tomatoes
    7. Stock.. I use 2 x Oxo cubes in one litre of boiling water.
    8. Olive oil
    9. Plain flour
    10. salt and pepper
Method
  • Prepare the vegetables, then sweat in the olive oil in a large oven proof dish (or use a frying pan) until onions are clear.
  • Toss the diced meet in seasoned plain flour, then add to the vegetables..
  • Stir in the chopped tomatoes
  • Add the stock , stir and bring to the boil
  • Place in a pre-heated oven at 160c for three hours.. check after each hour and add more water if required..
  • When cooked the meat should be falling apart .. easily cut with a spoon..
As with any recipe, it's purely a guide...

DSCF2400.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I often make something similar in the slow cooker. I also make soups from time to time. Quick, easy, nourishing and economical, what more could you want? (y)[/QUOTE

cheaper cuts of meat such as shin, brisket, chuck, beef rib scrapings, etc. are often overlooked .. or though of as inferior when in fact, cooked slowly they are tenderer and tastier than more expensive cuts like rump and sirloin..

Brisket smoked on a Weber BBQ is fantastic..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
cheaper cuts of meat such as shin, brisket, chuck, beef rib scrapings, etc. are often overlooked .. or though of as inferior when in fact, cooked slowly they are tenderer and tastier than more expensive cuts like rump and sirloin..

Brisket smoked on a Weber BBQ is fantastic..
I agree wholeheartedly Jim.

We normally buy brisket, pork shoulder and lamb shoulder in preference to more expensive cuts. We buy them from a local farmers market, cook some as joints but also cut slices off for cooking in the Double Skillet in the van. Sometimes I bone the lamb shoulder and use the bones for making soup.

Casseroles and soups made in the slow cooker are a great way of using up left over, uncooked, vegetables rather than letting them rot and throwing them out.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Casseroles and soups made in the slow cooker are a great way of using up left over, uncooked, vegetables rather than letting them rot and throwing them out.

nothing wasted in our house either Graham.. old school, waste not want not.. and when we had the six chooks, even the veg peelings were eaten..made into eggs

being a nosey sod, I often look in others shopping trolleys and am dismayed at the rubbish they buy... nothing fresh.. no fresh veg, nothing to cook, just 'ready to eat' and convenience junk..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
nothing wasted in our house either Graham.. old school, waste not want not.. and when we had the six chooks, even the peelings were eaten..

being a nosey sod, I often look in others shopping trolleys and am dismayed are the rubbish they buy... nothing fresh.. no fresh veg, nothing to cook, just 'ready to eat' and convenience junk
And then they complain about how much their shopping costs them :doh:

Our peelings go on the compost heap with the coffee grounds.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
nothing wasted in our house either Graham.. old school, waste not want not.. and when we had the six chooks, even the veg peelings were eaten..made into eggs

being a nosey sod, I often look in others shopping trolleys and am dismayed at the rubbish they buy... nothing fresh.. no fresh veg, nothing to cook, just 'ready to eat' and convenience junk..
Just an aside , hens shouldn't have raw tata peelings, ours do , but the rule is not, for some reason.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've printed out a few one-pot recipes from the BBC food website ready for our trip next week. I'll do them in the slow cooker.

All the herbs / spices are in their own little baggies to make it easy for me - the recipes are numbered 1 to 6 and the spice baggies the same :) Saves taking too much and having to measure stuff out.

I've also got a baggy with dumpling mix all ready to go.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have a friend who uses turnip in spag bog.... I have to be polite when I visit but to my taste buds it's foul. Makes the whole dish taste muddy.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
All the herbs / spices are in their own little baggies to make it easy for me - the recipes are numbered 1 to 6 and the spice baggies the same :) Saves taking too much and having to measure stuff out.

that's what I call organised.. (y)(y)

I'm more of a 'on the hoof' type of cook.. do we have it.. yes.. I cook it.. :LOL:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And you can't beat liver & bacon with thick onion gravy.
Jill makes great liver & onions with mashed potato. She likes the onions and gravy but not the liver so all the more for me :D We buy the lambs liver at the farmers market as well. Costs pennies, far cheaper and with more flavour than a supermarket (y)

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
  1. Beef shin makes a fabulous hot-pot.. Love this dish in winter..

Ingredients.
    .. very rough guide.. can be altered as you see fit , more or less
    1. 400gm Beef shin.. diced
    2. 3 x large rough chopped onions
    3. 4 x or more chopped carrots
    4. 1/2 small turnip diced
    5. 4 x cloves of garlic (optional)
    6. 1 x Can of chopped tomatoes
    7. Stock.. I use 2 x Oxo cubes in one litre of boiling water.
    8. Olive oil
    9. Plain flour
    10. salt and pepper
Method
  • Prepare the vegetables, then sweat in the olive oil in a large oven proof dish (or use a frying pan) until onions are clear.
  • Toss the diced meet in seasoned plain flour, then add to the vegetables..
  • Stir in the chopped tomatoes
  • Add the stock , stir and bring to the boil
  • Place in a pre-heated oven at 160c for three hours.. check after each hour and add more water if required..
  • When cooked the meat should be falling apart .. easily cut with a spoon..
As with any recipe, it's purely a guide...

View attachment 82680
Just got one like that out of my slow cooker for my tea tonight....yay!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have made nourishing Soup out of Bacon Bones, (very hard to obtain in this country)
Fish heads too, boil 'em up to make a lovely Fish stock, as a starter for a Seafood Pie/ smoked fish pie. If you can get a larger fish's head, Cod/Grouper/Lung fish/Skate, there is plenty of meat still, in the cheek.

I suppose growing up in the immediate post war period, it is inbred in us, waste not want not! All for the good in my opinion.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have made nourishing Soup out of Bacon Bones, (very hard to obtain in this country)
Fish heads too, boil 'em up to make a lovely Fish stock, as a starter for a Seafood Pie/ smoked fish pie. If you can get a larger fish's head, Cod/Grouper/Lung fish/Skate, there is plenty of meat still, in the cheek.

I suppose growing up in the immediate post war period, it is inbred in us, waste not want not! All for the good in my opinion.
That got me thinking. I must have been a kid last time I saw bacon bones for sale. Sometimes, though, the farmer we buy our pork and bacon from has ham shanks on his stall and we can also get them at a butcher in Stockton. We cook them in the slow cooker and use the majority of the meat hot or in sandwiches. The stock, together with any bits of meat left, makes a very good base for soup (pea or lentil usually).

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
That got me thinking. I must have been a kid last time I saw bacon bones for sale. Sometimes, though, the farmer we buy our pork and bacon from has ham shanks on his stall and we can also get them at a butcher in Stockton. We cook them in the slow cooker and use the majority of the meat hot or in sandwiches. The stock, together with any bits of meat left, makes a very good base for soup (pea or lentil usually).
when my children were little and we were still trying to buy our house and eat as well.we used to get the bacon bones from our local pork butcher, and like you we put them in our big stockpot until meat fell off ,then used that with mashed potato to make a meal ,the stock was then reduced having had dried peas put in and then when reduced right down was dished up the next day like a very thick porridge with a chunk of bread.....people say 'ahh! The good days' they weren't they were blxxdy hard times..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back