Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where abouts in the UK are you?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That does not sound right for a lpg tank, ours is a 1000 litres.
Wot you been sniffing Mikeco ... ! :D The fumes from your gas tank???? :LOL:;)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
HI there, i am looking to replace my 85ltr gas tank, can anybody recommend anyone,

What age is the existing tank?. Theoretically, they should be tested at 10yr periods, But most are good 30 years on, provided they have not been physically damaged!. There is (or was back in the 90`s) not a "statuary" limitation, unless used in a "commercial" environment.? Because of the nature of the Contents, it is unlikely to have internal "corrosion" to any significant level, Assuming external corrosion is light, and there are no sign of "Cracks" developing, especially around mounting points. With a good external clean and a light coat of Anti corrosion Paint, Please, NOT under-seal!!. Most are good for the next 10 years!.

Pete.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Bearing in mind what has been said above, I'd be tempted to just get it tested and if it passes, repaint it, to replace it won't be cheap.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Sorry forgot to mention, it's for my camper, we live in stoke on trent, my existing one is about 12 years old,

OK. I AM assuming it`s a fixed Vessel?. At 12 years old it is likely that no significant defects have been incurred, Baring physical damage, and the potential for structural cracks where the tank mounting is. My background is as A (now retired) pressure vessel examiner. And I have in a 20+ year career examined LPG vessels for the likes of Calor Etc; both in service and under construction.

If you are in any way doubtful about the condition, then by all means replace it OR have it examined and Certified by a "Competent Authority". I would warn that both / either are likely to be Expensive, unfortunately. I personally have "looked at" privately ( I now have no status, to certify) several vessels and was happy with what I have seen. The worst case was a vessel that had been "Grounded" (we suspect when boarding a ferry ramp). and had sustained some light grooving of the external shell. The owner elected to replace it.

The R-V in my Avtar is one I owned in the United States until recent. When we had the Fill valve replaced, I borrowed an Endoscope, and looked inside. There was no sign of corrosion to be seen, that was at 16 years Old.

Pete

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nahhh.. you need to replace it and sell that crappy old one to me really cheap !!!!!

Seriously though, I would have a word with Dave Newall ( @dave newell lvs ) if you do decide to swap it out.. and just as seriously I would be interested in your old one !!
Dave is at Telford so I reckon only about 30 miles from you

OP
OP
Deansford Moll
Apr 21, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Hi Pete, the only thing was, when in France last month we could hear something dragging underneath the van, when inspected one of the straps had snapped and dragging on the road, apart from the broken strap and a bit of rust it looked ok, we replaced the strap, i just thought it might need replacing, but listening to everybody it could be still ok, thanks to everybody for there opinion,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi Pete, the only thing was, when in France last month we could hear something dragging underneath the van, when inspected one of the straps had snapped and dragging on the road, apart from the broken strap and a bit of rust it looked ok, we replaced the strap, i just thought it might need replacing, but listening to everybody it could be still ok, thanks to everybody for there opinion,

Thinking about what you said, It sounds as if the tank relies on straps to secure it?. In which case the likelihood of stress being imparted to the vessel structure is low. (no welded brackets on the tank shell.) dependant upon where the pipework connects there could have been stress imparted to the fitting(s), and that may bear checking out?. Beyond that I would be extremely surprised to find structural defect in the vessel. Where it mine, I would check and possibly re-secure / replace the straps and carry on using it.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back