Off-line Google Maps - Good News For Android Users (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If google can ever put on speed limit info Garmin and Tom Tom better up their game considerably.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I bet tomtom and garmin are shaking in their boots.....not.

They are already finished, fewer of us are buying dedicated sat navs, why should we? Apple Nav, or Google Nav is all I use in the UK now. A Snooper for abroad, but as soon as the roaming is sorted I'm sure I'll be back on the phone.

I have owned 4 or 5 TomToms, the last two were awful, I wouldn't have a free one.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmmm considering the amount of ground we cover, I think it is time to slip in a 32 gig card !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
That sounds great, with a bit of luck I will be able to put the maps on the phones sd card.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can't see me using it for navigation, I have copilot live with all of western Europe stored for very little money and it's a proper job satnav program.

Have to agree with Jim, I would not be buying shares in TomTom, Garmin now.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Returned 2015 after many years of kids and other expenses!
Another Worldwide Offline alternative. Broken Link Removedfor PC, iPad/phone, Android.

Download desired area before you go away (or indeed while you are away). No M/H setting unfortunately. Open source, updated from Open Street Map.

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Here maps can't be beaten in my experience, I have a windows phone with uk France and Belgium stored, gets us everywhere we need.
Agreed, Here Maps is excellent and you can download whole countries with one click none of this Google selecting the area you want.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Got those too. Great for mapping but not used for satnav. I think I first got this because it had Morocco maps and all free.

Current version does routing as well. Used it for several years - both Walking and Driving

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
My primary free navigator is mapfactor navigator, which is probably one of the best free non connection android navigation packages. I have now bought the paid for Tom Tom maps to use with it but can't see much difference TBH. I also like here maps which actually did a great job of navigating us out of the highly complex souk area in Morocco, where Google maps totally failed.

CeeJay13

Free Member
Sep 16, 2015
The North of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just tried it. Returns "can`t connect to maps!". Which doesn't bode well?

Pete
Sorry Pete, what/how have you tried?

Download App from relevant place and then zoom in to area of interest. Once zoomed in far enough, The App will then ask if you want to download the area map for finer detail (with or without routing).

What are you using it on and what revision of operating system?

Must add it is installed on PC, several different Android mobiles, different iPhones and iPads.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Agreed, Here Maps is excellent and you can download whole countries with one click none of this Google selecting the area you want.
Can't understand why everyone isn't trying here maps, free on all platforms , integrates with all aire things and takes you to the gate, all for free on the one device with no connection on the maps you've downloaded, and works all over the world with a connection.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can't understand why everyone isn't trying here maps, free on all platforms , integrates with all aire things and takes you to the gate, all for free on the one device with no connection on the maps you've downloaded, and works all over the world with a connection.
Does it have height/weight/width restrictions and allow input of vehicle size?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does it have height/weight/width restrictions and allow input of vehicle size?
No but it's free, and never got us in any trouble

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
OK.

No idea :) That's why we have separate sat nav :)
Don't think the thread was about sat navs but google maps and even on the link on the op it mentions here maps.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Don't think the thread was about sat navs but google maps and even on the link on the op it mentions here maps.
No, it isn't about sat navs but Garmin & TomTom have been mentioned in several posts and, after all, mapping on a phone is only an alternative to a dedicated sat nav :)
I checked the article in the OP again and see that Here Maps was formerly Nokia Maps. That is the clincher for me as one of the reasons I moved to an Android phone from Nokia was that I found Google maps on Android so much better than Nokia Maps.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No, it isn't about sat navs but Garmin & TomTom have been mentioned in several posts and, after all, mapping on a phone is only an alternative to a dedicated sat nav :)
I checked the article in the OP again and see that Here Maps was formerly Nokia Maps. That is the clincher for me as one of the reasons I moved to an Android phone from Nokia was that I found Google maps on Android so much better than Nokia Maps.
Afraid you are talking round your hat again as both work on all platforms!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Afraid you are talking round your hat again as both work on all platforms!
Not at all. They may both work on all platforms now but at the time (before the Microsoft takeover) Nokia Maps didn't work on Android and Nokia didn't offer Google Maps.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Yep as I said 'here' did a great job in Marrakech where Google maps totally failed. But and its a big but Google maps free real time traffic monitoring is excellent. I use it all the time around Glasgow, with Garmin certainly it requires an extra subscription and not as good as Google's.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Also, you can use here on foot and take it with you , restaurants and businesses pinpointed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They are already finished, fewer of us are buying dedicated sat navs, why should we? Apple Nav, or Google Nav is all I use in the UK now. A Snooper for abroad, but as soon as the roaming is sorted I'm sure I'll be back on the phone.

I have owned 4 or 5 TomToms, the last two were awful, I wouldn't have a free one.
Maybe so Jim, but im old school when it comes to things like this.

A satnav for navigation, a camera for photographs, a radio for music and a phone for communication.

Reactions: GJH
May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Google Maps updated today in the UK, but I can't see this functionality. Guess it's US first. Can't even download a map larger than London to view.

Dave

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Whats a snooper ?

Yes I wondered?. So I Googled it. and Guess what?, it`s a Sat nag!!. Bit more sophisticated than my "old" but still serviceable T-T XL. (50 bucks from Walmart) and the basic one`s are £250 or thereabouts! On up to beyond £700.

It does have a "oversize vehicle facility, and the maps updates are "free for life".

Thinking about it, I still mange to navigate large parts of the world without getting caught out. (well once, BEFORE I had a Sat Nag!!!). 4 quid Truckers map, to double check the heights on "her" route, and so far no real issues. A healthy scepticism helps, ie if the road does start to not "look" right. pull over and do a Double check?.

BTW, I have now got the update from Android, for Google mapping, and it does appear to work well?. Probably most use to me for double checking the T-T?, BUT the travel times bear no relationship to "real" (Motorhoming) life!!!!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back