French Aires in the summer. (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We're travelling down to Chamonix next year, end of July beginning of August.
I know it's going to be busy but what's the chances of getting on Aires on our way down ?
Taking two of the grandkids so can't go out of season like we normally do and no idea how busy it's going to be.
I've booked a couple of sites on the way back but prices are ridiculous so looking to save a bit on our way down.

Deleted User
Should have no problems getting on Aires, providing you are sensible and have a "back up option"

By sensible, I mean don't expect to arrive at a small aire in a popular tourist attraction at 8 pm and have a choice of spots. ;)

We have had very few issues with regards to aires being full, even on the Med in August.

Having said that, I would always advise having a few options in case there's no room (or your first choice is rubbish!)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As above, have a Plan B for every aire you plan to visit, and aim wherever possible for medium to large ones, with a view to arriving mid/late morning to get the best choice of available spots.

Most of our MH trips have been during school summer holiday time - we have rarely if ever failed to find a spot wherever we've been.

Assuming a reasonably early arrival in Calais and a direct route to Chamonix, a good one to consider is the free parking area at Mesnil Saint Pere just east of Troyes. If you really crack on the aire/municipal campsite at Dijon is worth heading for.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Went in Aug a couple of years ago. Aires were fine though we always made a point of arriving early afternoon. The kids being on holiday didn't make a lot of difference, we saw very few on the aires, probably don't appeal to people with children as no facilities. When I toured with my three boys years ago we always stayed on sites with pools and showers. Five people using a motorhome shower is not very practical.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We did that trip this year at pretty much the same time - end of July. We had no trouble finding aires.

We did:

Watten - Mareuil sur Ay - Froncles - Nantua - La Balme de Sellingy - Chamonix.

No problem finding space at any of them but we made a point of arriving just after lunch or early afternoon. A lot of them were full by early evening.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We have traveled through France on route to Benidorm for the past 3 years. Never had an issue with inland stops as most of the French have headed out for the coast but as said have a plan B ready...

Deleted User
If you're going the Belgium, Lux, Metz, Nancy route then you can stop at Pont a Mousson Aire, which is right on the river Mosselle and a short walk into town.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We were in the area around Nancy Metz late August/Early September this year. We struggled on a couple of days trying to find an Aire. Started off with

Pont a Mousson No Chance FULL early

Tried three others around it within 20-30 mins drive. ALL FULL

Eventually, after 3 hours, faffing and lots of kM's. We found a great spot by the river. FREE, next to a campsite. But what a waste of an afternoon.

*Do not rely on them.*

Liverdun and so was mine!
IMG_9302.JPG

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Would suggest booking in Chamonix as the summer we were there everything was booked out except the aire under the Aigle du Midi which is fine for a couple of days but wouldn't want to stay much longer than that.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Would suggest booking in Chamonix as the summer we were there everything was booked out except the aire under the Aigle du Midi which is fine for a couple of days but wouldn't want to stay much longer than that.

What's wrong with it? We had 3 nights there and I would have happily stayed longer if we didn't have other places to be. I guess it might not be great fun at this time of year but in the summer it's fine.

Safe parking, water and waste. That'll do me (y)

By booking I guess you mean campsites as obviously it isn't possible to book aires. I understand there are quite a few around there but we never even considered them when we went.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
We always try and arrive for lunch time so that we invariably get a space and time to explore the town/ village in the afternoon.

One thing I would advise though is taking a bucket or watering can for refilling your fresh water. Once you've found a space on a busy aires sometimes it's best to stay put rather than move to fill up. More than once we've watched people put out doormats, chairs etc to reserve a place while they go and service the van only to have someone arrive and chuck it all to one side and take the space. Technically that's OK, if a bit cheeky. With one particularly huge van I had the firm impression that even if the previous occupant had left his children lying on the space to reserve it they'd have been driven over.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Hi Nick.
Do you think we'd get on the aire ?
We like the look of Nantua so will probably go there and be in Chamonix mid morning.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi Nick.
Do you think we'd get on the aire ?
We like the look of Nantua so will probably go there and be in Chamonix mid morning.

Hi,

There aire at Chamonix is part of a huge car park. There's space for several hundred motorhomes so you won't have any problems. When we were there in the summer it was €12.50 per 24 hours which is bloody expensive for an aire but it's all about the location. You're about 5 minutes stroll from the town and there's a supermarket about 400 yards away through the coach park.

Here it is: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.9166707,6.8706924,312m/data=!3m1!1e3

Nantua is much smaller, space for about 8 or 10 vans if I remember correctly at the side of the lake. You definitely need to be there early.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Hi,

There aire at Chamonix is part of a huge car park. There's space for several hundred motorhomes so you won't have any problems.

Being as it's shared with cars it will fill up with cars in the high season from about 9am until about 5pm, so it's a good example of an aire you can arrive at later on in the day to get a better choice of spots.

There are supposedly designated MH bays but the car drivers use them up, so I'd suggest taking your time getting there.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Like the sound of Chamonix aire. Might book the site at Nantua instead of taking a chance on the aire.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
What's wrong with it? We had 3 nights there and I would have happily stayed longer if we didn't have other places to be. I guess it might not be great fun at this time of year but in the summer it's fine.

Safe parking, water and waste. That'll do me (y)

By booking I guess you mean campsites as obviously it isn't possible to book aires. I understand there are quite a few around there but we never even considered them when we went.
If you like spending your holidays on a large car park then it's perfect ;-) and the OP mentioned travelling with Grand Kids but I do agree it's very handy for the cable cars and the centre of Town.

I did mean campsites although there is a private aire further down the valley at Les Houches which I believe you could book and get the train up the valley.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We did that trip this year at pretty much the same time - end of July. We had no trouble finding aires.

We did:

Watten - Mareuil sur Ay - Froncles - Nantua - La Balme de Sellingy - Chamonix.

No problem finding space at any of them but we made a point of arriving just after lunch or early afternoon. A lot of them were full by early evening.
Froncles!
We stopped there this year and drove straight out again. It used to be a lovely little stop off but this year it was scruffy with lots of permanent motorhomers!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Froncles!
We stopped there this year and drove straight out again. It used to be a lovely little stop off but this year it was scruffy with lots of permanent motorhomers!

Looks really scruffy doesn't it? This was at the end of July this year. Either way for €3 per night I'll live with it (y)

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
There is an app called Aires Camping Car by T-Bag which we find very handy. It tells you where the nearest Air is to you, wherever you are, then the next nearest and so on. That way if one is not suitable you know where the next nearest is. It can be used offline so no need for wifi.

We tend to use it now so that rather than heading for a specific aire we head for a town or area then look for whichever aire is handy.

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back