Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We are hoping to tour Scotland next month for a few of weeks, does anybody know of any POI's for TomTom or Autoroute for overnight stopping places. There seems to be lots of info about wildcamping in Scotland but I haven't managed to find any sat nav files for places to overnight.
Haven't been to Scotland for a long while (over 30 years) so no definite plans where to go so would appreciate any hints, tips or must see places. :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Definately interested in POI's for Scotland too or any recommendations.:thumb:

Tom Tom Preferably.

Cheers ed.

Steve.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've seen a number of similar requests in the past and replies seem to say that there are a few reasons why people have not published POIs.

The ones I can remember are:
1. The places might become too popular thus spoiling it for those "in the know".
2. Many are places where overnighting is tolerated rather than officially allowed (because the few vans which use them cause no problems) and toleration would be withdrawn if they became more widely used.

There is also a practical difficulty in that aerial mapping of some places is often of too low a quality to actually get a fix on the correct spot. For instance, I've seen MHs (daytime) parking in the main car park and streets in Kirkcudbright but the resolution on Google maps and Flash Earth just does not show the streets.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We are hoping to tour Scotland next month for a few of weeks, does anybody know of any POI's for TomTom or Autoroute for overnight stopping places. There seems to be lots of info about wildcamping in Scotland but I haven't managed to find any sat nav files for places to overnight.
Haven't been to Scotland for a long while (over 30 years) so no definite plans where to go so would appreciate any hints, tips or must see places. :thumb:

There are too many places in Scotland that you can stop at to list them all. The remotness of many places mean no one will bother you. Just be sensible & leave the place as found. Some places have signs that say wild camping is allowed, we found one on Loch Rannoch right at the end of a quiet road, a longish drive but well worth it.

The last time we did it we used the info on this site CLICK

OP
OP
Kon tiki

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Thanks for the info Graham & Keith, looks like we will just have to try to find places from sites such as the one Keith & Jean suggested. It is one of the ones amongst a load of other sites I know of with places listed. I will have to try to create my own set of POI's (something to do while we are away on our travels:RollEyes:) from the lists I find. I do have some old Autoroute pushpin files that I can possibly get some data out of, it's just nice to have some possible places to aim for rather than having to trawl through pages of info to see if there is anything around the area.
We are hoping to fit in a couple of rallies with the Scottish MCC if we are close to any on our travels.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Ed
One of my favorite places is Sheildaig on nthe west coast, not a normal camp site but an area where you can stop set above the village. It has an honesty box where you give what you think it is worth.
Not much in the way of facilities, just a tap, but there is a public toilet down in the village. I'ts best aspect are the views out over Loch Torridon they will make up for the lack of facilities, It's magic. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
you will find lots of stop over places in Scotland. some beautiful lay-buys at side of lochs and up in hills .don't forget pub and hotel car parks if you ask and have a meal and drink .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back