LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never joined because our closest is 33 miles away in Gateshead.

What are their prices like in general? I've just checked a couple against the likes of Currys and John Lewis and they are no better, even a bit higher in some cases.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

What are their prices like in general? I've just checked a couple against the likes of Currys and John Lewis and they are no better, even a bit higher in some cases.
Yes you have to be very selective over their offerings but their electrical include 5 yr warranty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well thats at least something they cant con you over the price unless of course its the old catch on everything.............. PLUS VAT!

Their prices are not that good, fillet steak was the same price as Waitrose and they are expensive.

Only things I ever found worth buying were catering packs, Macro are the same.

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well thats at least something they cant con you over the price unless of course its the old catch on everything.............. PLUS VAT!

Their prices are not that good, fillet steak was the same price as Waitrose and they are expensive.

Only things I ever found worth buying were catering packs, Macro are the same.

Peter
Interesting Peter. We used to have a Macro card and found very few items were better deals than other places.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Same as us.. At one time we would travel up to Norwich ( a 60+ mile round trip ) to go to Macros to get a car load of stuff that would last almost a year..
In the end we discovered even Tescos were cheaper for almost everything

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No fuel station at our Costco either. Great price though for those that can benefit.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are about 30 miles from ours but always stop on our way back from somewhere.
We are selective but mainly buy food. They have a great butchers that make onsite great pies and other pastries. Cleaning supplies are well priced.

We look out for the special offers. For instance £1.49 for two packs of mission wraps that normally sell for £1.70 per pack. Coffee/tea, tobs, cereal, soft drinks, beer. Tuna steaks and other fish is well priced. They have an onsite cafe that sell their own products very cheap. We like going just compare prices using a supermarket app.
Clothes are cheap Allen got some lovely jeans for less than £10 a pair

Jonnyboy&Iddybiddy

Free Member
Mar 28, 2015
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Benimar Aereo 6000 2005
Exp
The Costco in Sheffield should be getting one in March. The price should be 10p cheaper than other companies. Costco are going to open petrol stations in all locations over the next few years.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I buy a lot of my valeting supplies at Costco and when I recently refurbished my garage Costco were by far the cheapest for HD vynl flooring

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Costco are not a cheap place. They often have amazing offers and with careful shopping there are some real bargains to be had.
What they trade on is the sheer quality of the simply massive range of kit they sell . Buy a telly from them and it goes wrong 4 years later and you get a replacement. The back up they give to every single product they sell should stand as an example too other retailers.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I had a look around 10 years ago and couldn't find much that was cheaper than Tescos and couldn't justify the £25? annual fee. It did look good for businesses such as small hotels or b&bs due to the catering packs that they offered and there were some good deals on obscure items but nothing tempted me to join.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ours doesn't sell fuel :cry:
No ours neither as there is an Asda on their doorstep (literally).
They had a deal on big flat screen TV's so we bought two, one for the lounge and a smaller one for our bedroom and Mrs Badknee got hauled into the office to make sure she was legit bless her.:rofl:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Great if your doing a buffet. Great cakes, pies , sliced meats. The frozen stuffs good too. I always go around birthday parties and my Boxing Day buffet time. The big pizzas and cooked chickens are cheap. I usually buy a big box of their Xmas cards too.
Things like branded shampoos , creams, deodorants etc are cheaper in asda.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Great if your doing a buffet. Great cakes, pies , sliced meats. The frozen stuffs good too. I always go around birthday parties and my Boxing Day buffet time. The big pizzas and cooked chickens are cheap. I usually buy a big box of their Xmas cards too.
Things like branded shampoos , creams, deodorants etc are cheaper in asda.
Aye the large Lasagne is awesome value, easy feed four. There are just enough enticers to justify renewing year on year

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We've found good deals on tyres in the past. We use them for party food and those excellent surface wipe packs.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
As everyone says great for party food...we have one 3 miles away. Sometimes wife goes with friend who has a card. Not sure if it has a fuel station.... Van has 120 litre tank so may be worth a visit if passing...I'm guessing you don't have to be a member for fuel?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Costco food dept is excellent always fresh, the meat is always top quality, two large chickens £6.99 Tescos etc are nowhere near as cheap.
A tray of the most delicious Mince Pies, yummy.

Bulk buying washing tablets, conditioner, toilet paper, kitchen rolls and tin foil will save a small fortune against supermarket prices.

We bought a 50` Samsung tv 6 years ago, same TV was £2150 in Currys with only 12 moths warranty and a 30 day delivery date.
We paid £1150 in Costco with 5 yrs warranty and took it straight home.

Yes you have to be careful what you put in the trolley but in general it is well worth the £25 joining fee.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
As everyone says great for party food...we have one 3 miles away. Sometimes wife goes with friend who has a card. Not sure if it has a fuel station.... Van has 120 litre tank so may be worth a visit if passing...I'm guessing you don't have to be a member for fuel?
Fuel is for members only, you have to put in a membership card.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Costco food dept is excellent always fresh, the meat is always top quality, two large chickens £6.99 Tescos etc are nowhere near as cheap.
A tray of the most delicious Mince Pies, yummy.

Bulk buying washing tablets, conditioner, toilet paper, kitchen rolls and tin foil will save a small fortune against supermarket prices.

We bought a 50` Samsung tv 6 years ago, same TV was £2150 in Currys with only 12 moths warranty and a 30 day delivery date.
We paid £1150 in Costco with 5 yrs warranty and took it straight home.

Yes you have to be careful what you put in the trolley but in general it is well worth the £25 joining fee.
Yes this exactly what we found, I do check prices against supermarkets when buying just in case. We store bulk items in the garage and refer to it as the local shop :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Price is not everything Graham. The shopping experience is fantastic.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back