A Class Hymer starter battery (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I am trying to build up some enthusiasm to attempt to remove my starter battery just to check its condition and levels.

Initial inspection looks like I need to be 4ft tall with 3ft long arms plus a flat head!

Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has gone before me and achieved what looks to me like 'a mini dockyard job'

Roll-on the Revolution!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its simpler than you think
Start by dropping front and rear axles then arrange a crane to lift the body clear and its right in front of you,just like it was in the factory:thumb:
Re the invite to dinner post, there are a few designers I would like to invite for dinner:Doh: only they would be on the menu
The job is as horrible as it looks if you do try it make sure you tape the bundles of wires together from each post before removing any terminals, drop one and you may miss it on the re fit, and will be scratching your head for hrs wondering why something that did work before now doesn't
Geo

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
No it is a gynocologist you need. I changed mine-what a pig. Some batterys are a little bit smaller in size and will slip in,but iwas fooled at first when told 'they are all like that now'
It wasn't man enough after a year so here we went again.
Geo is right tape and note very thing I found taking a few digital pictures helped.
Proably the only good thing about the new Fiats is that the engine battery is situated in the floor between th fron seats and easy to get at.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am trying to build up some enthusiasm to attempt to remove my starter battery just to check its condition and levels.

Initial inspection looks like I need to be 4ft tall with 3ft long arms plus a flat head!

Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has gone before me and achieved what looks to me like 'a mini dockyard job'

Roll-on the Revolution!

hope this will help more than some of the wonderfully helpful replies so far.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

buy a hydrometer, not expensive and you then have one for next time.

and a short bit of clean wooden dowel or six to be precise.

take the top off the battery and carefully insert a dowel into the first cell 'til it touches the plates,
note the 'water' level mark and the top of the battery case then place the dowel next to the battery aligning the battery top mark to the battery case top....theres your first level.
new dowel and do the same again for all six cells.
top up as needed.

stick the hydrometer in and check the specific gravity of all six cells.

why remove the battery in the first place, best your gonna do with it out is wipe it clean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SIFTA SAM
Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
hope this will help more than some of the wonderfully helpful replies so far.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

buy a hydrometer, not expensive and you then have one for next time.

and a short bit of clean wooden dowel or six to be precise.

take the top off the battery and carefully insert a dowel into the first cell 'til it touches the plates,
note the 'water' level mark and the top of the battery case then place the dowel next to the battery aligning the battery top mark to the battery case top....theres your first level.
new dowel and do the same again for all six cells.
top up as needed.

stick the hydrometer in and check the specific gravity of all six cells.

why remove the battery in the first place, best your gonna do with it out is wipe it clean.
Thanks for your advice pappajohn, but the top of the battery can only be removed when a large flat multi-connector and cables are disconnected from the +ve terminal post.
I want to take the battery to the 'battery hospital' for a health check-up because of its age and suspect performance.

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
batt

I had to do mine on my 1996 b544 if you take off the earth clamp, take off the clamps that holt the batt down then drag it forward about 6 inches then take off the pos clamp, then wiggle it alot hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back