Slow cooked Pheasant? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have been given a brace of pheasant which I am hanging in the garage now. Probably eat them over the weekend.

Does anyone have any hints please for cooking them? They will be without skin (when I have prepared them) so I don't really want to roast them. I thought in a slow cooker with some wine etc?

Thank you (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We found the meat to be tough and stringy
Young birds are better than mature ones
Slow cooker would be ideal - and a long marinade in wine beforehand

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can't go wrong with a game stew especially at this time of year. Get hold of some rabbits and maybe another bird to keep them company. Lots of root veg, use a really good stock, add some red wine and maybe some juniper berries then cook it long and slow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
I have been given a brace of pheasant which I am hanging in the garage now. Probably eat them over the weekend.

Does anyone have any hints please for cooking them? They will be without skin (when I have prepared them) so I don't really want to roast them. I thought in a slow cooker with some wine etc?

Thank you (y)

My last brace I hung for 5 days they are easier to pluck the longer they're hung...but it sounds as though you are skinning them (y) Depends on how old the birds are as to how to cook them...if they are young with pointy feathers and short rounded spurs, and soft feet on the hen,they are good just roasted,onion,apple or lemon in the cavity, body buttered,salt,pepper and cover breast with bacon. Roast for about an 1-1+1/2 hrs. depending on size. Don't forget to baste. If the birds are older with long pointy spurs, rounded feathers and hardened feet they are better casseroled/ slow cooked.
:D Whatever your tipple .......red wine with shallots/onions: Calvados/brandy with cream and apples: Madeira with parsley and nutmeg: or white wine with orange/mushrooms ....... just bung it in with the obligatory stock, onion/salt/pepper/diced celery or carrot.......
..and enjoy :wine:
Jude

Last edited:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Pheasant either needs short fast cooking or long and slow, anything in between means tough dry and stringy. It depends how you like your meat, if pink meat is not appealing then go for long slow casserole or slow cooker. I often take off the breasts and fast pan fry them with an onion, flambe with whisky, add some green grapes then thicken sauce with cream, for another day slow cook the legs with say cider onions and apples, or alternatively red wine onions and mushrooms thickened with cream. The slow cooked meals freeze well, as does the raw pheasant for later use. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My last brace I hung for 5 days they are easier to pluck the longer they're hung...but it sounds as though you are skinning them (y) Depends on how old the birds are as to how to cook them...if they are young with pointy feathers and short rounded spurs, and soft feet on the hen,they are good just roasted,onion,apple or lemon in the cavity, body buttered,salt,pepper and cover breast with bacon. Roast for about an 1-1+1/2 hrs. depending on size. Don't forget to baste. If the birds are older with long pointy spurs, rounded feathers and hardened feet they are better casseroled/ slow cooked.
:D Whatever your tipple .......red wine with shallots/onions: Calvados/brandy with cream and apples: Madeira with parsley and nutmeg: or white wine with orange/mushrooms ....... just bung it in with the obligatory stock, onion/salt/pepper/diced celery or carrot.......
..and enjoy :wine:
Jude

Right! that's it...You have talked me into it..what time shall I come round?:)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks for the replies and suggestions folks ...................... "choices, choices" :)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The recipes sound really good. I've never cooked pheasant before but think I might give it a try! :)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Pheasant, the birds, I thought this thread was about Baldricks mates....Peasants.
Big disappointment there, I thought we were discussing how to rid the world of Mr Corbyn's mates.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a recipe in a book "Pheasant in Gigondas" which I've made several times but without either pheasant or Gigondas! Just using chicken and a cheap plonk but it is very nice. Essentially it is coq au vin but you wrap bacon around the bits of pheasant and hold them in place with a cocktail sewer. I think the idea of the bacon is to keep the meat from getting too dry.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How long do pheasants last in the freezer? I put them in last night and I was expecting them to last a couple of months but they were dead when I had a look at them this morning.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You've got to be desperate to cook pheasant....... not enough meat to make a decent sandwich......... and a waste of a beautiful bird

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You've got to be desperate to cook pheasant....... not enough meat to make a decent sandwich......... and a waste of a beautiful bird

A decent size pheasant is plenty big enough for two people and much like chickens, beautiful or not, are bred for food. They aren't naturally found in the wild in any numbers. If nobody shot them to eat you would never see any.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Carruthers, the manservant tells me that you really have to roast peasants really slowly for them to be tender. Apparently they taste like chicken........

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
A decent size pheasant is plenty big enough for two people and much like chickens, beautiful or not, are bred for food. They aren't naturally found in the wild in any numbers. If nobody shot them to eat you would never see any.

.. if you can be bothered to pick the meat off the bones........

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
In times past pheasants had less meat on them (probably flew more)

Now they are hatched and reared in pens until shortly before the season when they are moved to release pens, as they are fed all the time to keep them 'at home' there is plenty of meat on them.

They are not bred for meat, they are bred to be shot generally by 'paying sportsmen' If the market will not absorb the shot birds they were often buried, though now more people are prepared to try game and many of the supermarkets stock it this happens less often, plus I think some are shipped over to the continent.

Reactions: DBK
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Thank you (y)

Just check for shrapnel

Ma in law missed one shot in the pheasant
After pa in law shot the phesant
And I found the sodding thing
At the cost of a tooth:RollEyes::crying::wink::wink:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
852, member: 29692"]A decent size pheasant is plenty big enough for two people and much like chickens, beautiful or not, are bred for food. They aren't naturally found in the wild in any numbers. If nobody shot them to eat you would never see any.

:) Got to disagree Nick.........lots of escapees now (y) Just cos you don't see many around Kettering :LOL:
We have plenty in the wild around here and just try calling into a butchers in the Highlands to BUY a brace :whistle:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I like to skin them and use the meat diced and with bacon, mushrooms and seasoning make a pie. Always a good option for guests who are not sure about eating game.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Only problem with a pheasant is plucking the wretched thing. If you can do it without tearing the skin I take my hat off to you! And you have a dustbin full of feathers to get rid of afterwards.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Pheasant, the birds, I thought this thread was about Baldricks mates....Peasants.
Big disappointment there, I thought we were discussing how to rid the world of Mr Corbyn's mates.

No no no.

It's not the season for Peasants yet. That starts in March.

The butler has some penned up in the coal shed that he's fattening up ready for release.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Interesting I was nattering to a friend who's dad and brother are gamekeepers. She said she likes Pheasant Curry best. Have to say I have never tried it. Seems a bit of a waste, but if you have had pheasant since you could eat meat perhaps curried pheasant makes a change :)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Bed of winter veg, leeks, parsnips, etc. about 3 inches deep in a large sauspan, some stock, pheasants on top but not in liquid. Simmer for a couple of hours. Take out birds, strain stock throw away veg, thicken stock and serve with roast potatoes, braised red cabbage, pour the thickened stock over meat.

A classic!

Dick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back