overnight parking in birmingham (1 Viewer)

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Hi, We visit the german market every year and also fit in shopping and the balti triangle, we usually stay in hotel or pub, would like to use our motorhome this year, somewhere nice and safe would be good, and we don't mind paying or staying somewhere where a taxi to the city centre is available. cheers nade and steve. :drink:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
There is no site on a bus or train route into the city and would cost an absolute fortune in a taxi.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
The CC site at Wythall is only a short walk from bus stop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Birmingham is totally unfriendly to motorhomes...one option to consider is to stay at a site near a railway station, by far the best way into the centre.
Somers Wood http://www.somerswood.co.uk/ is a couple of miles from Birmingham International and as most of the London trains stop here, so plenty of trains and 10 minutes into New Street. New Street station has just been done up with a new shopping centre above the concourse, down the ramp outside to the German market.
I would have thought the people at the site could advise on taxi prices, there is a taxi rank at the station.
Just a suggestion, we went in by train yesterday. Looking for a cafe, the Edwardian Tea Rooms in the museum.

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Birmingham is totally unfriendly to motorhomes...one option to consider is to stay at a site near a railway station, by far the best way into the centre.
Somers Wood http://www.somerswood.co.uk/ is a couple of miles from Birmingham International and as most of the London trains stop here, so plenty of trains and 10 minutes into New Street. New Street station has just been done up with a new shopping centre above the concourse, down the ramp outside to the German market.
I would have thought the people at the site could advise on taxi prices, there is a taxi rank at the station.
Just a suggestion, we went in by train yesterday. Looking for a cafe, the Edwardian Tea Rooms in the museum.
We like the sound of this, £44 for two nights in our lovely van gives us spare cash to spend on train, taxi fares instead of staying in a grotty hotel at £60 a night, we will ring them tomorrow, It looks a lovely place to take our dogs at another time too, hope it works out ok for us, We are massive curry fans and in my opinion brum baltis cant be beaten, I lived in Ludlow for 16 years and lived on them. thanks detnor much appreciated. (y)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Can't recommend a place to stay but the best Indian in town is Ashas loads of awards, great food and ringing endorsement from all my Indian friends living in the area. It is not cheap, you will need to book and it's a great experience, close to city centre. I love it!

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Can't recommend a place to stay but the best Indian in town is Ashas loads of awards, great food and ringing endorsement from all my Indian friends living in the area. It is not cheap, you will need to book and it's a great experience, close to city centre. I love it!
Will have a look at their website, not been before, usually go to shabab or Lahore on ladypool road and stock up with spices and sauces from raja brothers to bring home.(y)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Just up from the 'palace there are a couple of roads suitable for parking - oh birmingham - not benidorm, sorry!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Motorway service area overnight then drive to/park somewhere with convenient public transport?

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
We like the sound of this, £44 for two nights in our lovely van gives us spare cash to spend on train, taxi fares instead of staying in a grotty hotel at £60 a night, we will ring them tomorrow, It looks a lovely place to take our dogs at another time too, hope it works out ok for us, We are massive curry fans and in my opinion brum baltis cant be beaten, I lived in Ludlow for 16 years and lived on them. thanks detnor much appreciated. (y)

My folks moved from Bham to Norfolk 10 years ago .....we always take a coolbox full of curry for their freezer when we visit.........sorry no suggestion for parking I am afraid.

Asha's looks interesting ......although i'm a Ladypool Rd kinda guy at heart (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Somerswood is nice, and far enough away from Birmingham to be safe! Just don't get it mixed up with Chelmsley Wood!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes but you would have to drive a few miles from Somers Wood to B'ham Intnl for the train, and not sure what time the campsite closes the gates for the night? Or indeed, how dear the parking is at the station - used to be about £1 per hour and of course there was a height barrier - so you would need to check.

I didn't know that Chapel Lane was now on a bus route - it hadn't used to be!

And I have many happy memories of eating in Saleems on the Ladypool Road - their veg curry with a tandoori chicken portion was my poison and was brill. The fluorescent lighting and the formica tables, odd crockery cutlery chairs etc, all added to the special ambience ...... !

4 of you could eat for a fiver. Excellent. If you wanted posh - they had waiters, tablecloths and cloth napkins in The Star of India in Bromsgrove Street - but you had to pay a LOT more for that - about £6 for two of you. But of course the wages (ours I mean) matched.

Weren't the 1969s/70s brill!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Chapel lane has a bus every hour to brum and Redditch. Used it every time we go to brum .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Chapel lane has a bus every hour to brum and Redditch. Used it every time we go to brum .
There's only one bus in each direction which stops outside the site. For the others you have to go to the traffic island just up the road. Timetable for Service 150 Broken Link Removed.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The Hollies C&CC site in Balsall Common appears to be quite close to Berkeswell Station which is the main line from Coventry to Birmingham. Nice restaurants in these villages and plenty of walks close by. Might be worth having a look and you may be able to park your van at the station. Much nicer than trying to get to the NEC for a train.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
There's only one bus in each direction which stops outside the site. For the others you have to go to the traffic island just up the road. Timetable for Service 150 Broken Link Removed.
Quite right ,but the island stop is only a few minutes up the road....tip! Don't go to Redditch,sod all there....

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
We have used Sommers Wood on several occasions and can thoroughly recommend it. It is certainly convenient for the NEC. Get a taxi to the Birmingham International Station (NEC) and then get the train into the city centre.

KH

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
We have used Sommers Wood on several occasions and can thoroughly recommend it. It is certainly convenient for the NEC. Get a taxi to the Birmingham International Station (NEC) and then get the train into the city centre.

KH
We have somers wood booked, cant wait doin the bike show as well, thanks for everyones help, steve and nade.(y)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hello Pigginchilli

Are you going to Motorcycle Live at the NEC later this month?

KH

madman

Free Member
Jan 20, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Exp
Since 2012
If you go to the market ,keep your wallets and purcses in a safe place Do not flash your money about and have wits about you , watch hand bags etc the gangs of Eastern European work as a team Just be careful and have a good time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back