Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I recently bought a 1995 Hymer B594 and overall I'm very happy with the van.

One small issue is the battery. It's fitted with a good quality fairly new car battery rather than a leisure one. Ordinarily I would leave it be for the present but I'm keen to have a pair as I need a fair amount of juice from time to time. I'm also intending to fit a solar panel or two.

As the batteries need to be paired I'm not going to buy a second identical car battery so have been looking at a full replacement. I've been recommended gel type as they have a greater capacity than wet acid and can provide double the power output.

My question is has anybody had recent experience of gel batteries and other than regulating the charge more carefully are their any issues I should be aware of? Also how suited are they to solar charging.

While they are about 40% more expensive it would be worth it if I can squeeze more power into my battery compartment (under the floor on the off side of the cab.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20151104_134429.jpg
    20151104_134429.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 33

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
I've been recommended gel type as they have a greater capacity than wet acid and can provide double the power output.
Many thanks.

Not sure who gave you that information, a lead-acid battery is a lead-acid battery, whether it be wet, flooded mat, AGM or GEL.

What you get out depends on the plate area per cell, nothing else. Bigger plates = more capacity.

What does matter is how you treat them. Wet batteries in general will take more abuse than any of the sealed types.

We have AGM, but only because they were free, otherwise I would probably have bought a couple of Varta wet 110AH.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hymer OEM is an 80 ah Gel G80 .. there are two in my van.. one under each seat.

When I bought my b644 it still had the original G80s fitted and they were still holding a charge.. also have 160 watt of solar.. so it was doing it's job.

In the past I have advocated not to 'waste money' on Gel .. buy cheap FLAS but the evidence was before my eyes.

I decided to replace them with two Exide G80 Gels from Tanya .. not cheap but if they last as long as the previous Gels, they may well work out cheaper..

Also, as they are in the Hab area, my opinion is that Gels are safer with no need to vent to outside the van..

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Exide-G80-Gel-Battery-for-Hymer-Motorhomes-P7893.html

you pays your money.. etc

I await the nay sayers. ;)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've been recommended gel type as they have a greater capacity than wet acid and can provide double the power output.
Many thanks.

Label that person unreliable.

Gel introduces charging problems for no benefit.

>> I'm keen to have a pair as I need a fair amount of juice from time to time

Now just what does that mean ? If you are talking 2000W of microwave or similar be aware you derate your battery considerably with those loads.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Three thoughts.
1. Gel batteries do not have greater capacity than flooded lead-acid but they do have greater resilience to discharge. A flooded battery should ideally not be discharged below 50% capacity but a gel battery can be taken down to 20%.
3. If you decide to change to Gel, remember to change the switch on the charger from lead-acid to gel (I assume it has been changed from the ex-factory gel setting to suit the battery you have currently).
3. If considering Banner batteries be aware that the standard flooded lead-acid model is an 'open type' with caps for topping up the fluid. Your installation is internal and you should really be using a sealed variety (i.e. one without the facility to top it up. Having said that, it is still a good idea to vent them to the outside since a failing cell can 'gas' towards the end of the battery's life. I would not consider the Banner AGM that seems to be gaining in popularity as your on-board charger (1995) will not have a suitable charging program and could shorten its life considerably. Only the most modern chargers have programs designed for AGM batteries.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I read the blurb about the NCC battery scheme in the C&CC magazine and I have to say that I thought it was little more than of very general help. The three categories appear to offer only basic guidance as to capacity for those (and I accept there may be many) who find the concept of Ah supply and in-use consumption confusing. There is no advice given regarding flooded, sealed, gel or AGM so far as I can see and no consideration of whether a battery type matches a motorhome's charging regime.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They fit the gas locker perfect and link to two more in the Habitation
CA_11051519031424-X2.jpg

image-jpeg.81877

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Many thanks for all your responses..... very helpful.
They fit the gas locker perfect and link to two more in the Habitation
CA_11051519031424-X2.jpg

image-jpeg.81877
Thanks Techno, neat setup! If you look at the pic on my post you will see I've a lot less space to play with unfortunately

Also I hope you don't mind me mentioning that your wiring isn't ideal as your left hand battery is effectively working as a back up to the right. They will not age the same.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Three thoughts.
1. Gel batteries do not have greater capacity than flooded lead-acid but they do have greater resilience to discharge. A flooded battery should ideally not be discharged below 50% capacity but a gel battery can be taken down to 20%.
3. If you decide to change to Gel, remember to change the switch on the charger from lead-acid to gel (I assume it has been changed from the ex-factory gel setting to suit the battery you have currently).
3. If considering Banner batteries be aware that the standard flooded lead-acid model is an 'open type' with caps for topping up the fluid. Your installation is internal and you should really be using a sealed variety (i.e. one without the facility to top it up. Having said that, it is still a good idea to vent them to the outside since a failing cell can 'gas' towards the end of the battery's life. I would not consider the Banner AGM that seems to be gaining in popularity as your on-board charger (1995) will not have a suitable charging program and could shorten its life considerably. Only the most modern chargers have programs designed for AGM batteries.
Really helpful many thanks!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Many thanks for all your responses..... very helpful.

Thanks Techno, neat setup! If you look at the pic on my post you will see I've a lot less space to play with unfortunately

Also I hope you don't mind me mentioning that your wiring isn't ideal as your left hand battery is effectively working as a back up to the right. They will not age the same.
Wrong.(but your thinking is corrrect) they are not the load but the link to the other two. The load negative has not been attached bottom left yet as I'm waiting for 2 metres of 25mm to arrive.

SEE http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/this-week-i-bought.45103/page-150#post-1616443

The left diagram is the option in this case
parallel-jpg.81902

Attachments

• Parallel.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Label that person unreliable.

Gel introduces charging problems for no benefit.

>> I'm keen to have a pair as I need a fair amount of juice from time to time

Now just what does that mean ? If you are talking 2000W of microwave or similar be aware you derate your battery considerably with those loads.
I will leave it to your imagination but it's for a purpose which it very rewarding, exciting with just a little danger mixed in ;-)

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hymer OEM is an 80 ah Gel G80 .. there are two in my van.. one under each seat.

When I bought my b644 it still had the original G80s fitted and they were still holding a charge.. also have 160 watt of solar.. so it was doing it's job.

In the past I have advocated not to 'waste money' on Gel .. buy cheap FLAS but the evidence was before my eyes.

I decided to replace them with two Exide G80 Gels from Tanya .. not cheap but if they last as long as the previous Gels, they may well work out cheaper..

Also, as they are in the Hab area, my opinion is that Gels are safer with no need to vent to outside the van..

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Exide-G80-Gel-Battery-for-Hymer-Motorhomes-P7893.html

you pays your money.. etc

I await the nay sayers. ;)
This sounds like the same battery/supplier as I'm considering (not sure about same size) Great to have your feedback!

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Not sure who gave you that information, a lead-acid battery is a lead-acid battery, whether it be wet, flooded mat, AGM or GEL.

What you get out depends on the plate area per cell, nothing else. Bigger plates = more capacity.

What does matter is how you treat them. Wet batteries in general will take more abuse than any of the sealed types.

We have AGM, but only because they were free, otherwise I would probably have bought a couple of Varta wet 110AH.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I believe that gel batteries can squeeze in more plates for a given battery size which is the appeal in my case

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I read the blurb about the NCC battery scheme in the C&CC magazine and I have to say that I thought it was little more than of very general help. The three categories appear to offer only basic guidance as to capacity for those (and I accept there may be many) who find the concept of Ah supply and in-use consumption confusing. There is no advice given regarding flooded, sealed, gel or AGM so far as I can see and no consideration of whether a battery type matches a motorhome's charging regime.
My understanding is the test is to verify if the manufacturers claims are correct as recent independent testing of brand new leisure batteries found many of the manufacturers claims were false and many of the batteries were pretty much crap. Banner and Vatra came out well.
The article is attached.
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/13871919/ccmnovtechnical.pdf?type=archive

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That has been around quite a while and comes over more as a plug for banner batteries than anything else.
Very many quality batteries not included.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would give Banner batteries a wide berth from my recent experience they are absolute rubbish. Hymer have now ditched them because of all the problems with them.
Good profit margin for dealers (y):LOL:
I prefer a battery that has multiple connection choices with the leisure punter in mind ;) and a stonking price.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I will leave it to your imagination but it's for a purpose which it very rewarding, exciting with just a little danger mixed in ;-)

Gotcha. The world's first motorhome equipped with an orgasmatron***

*** name that film !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have two Exide Gel G80 as originally fitted by the Hymer group, we have had the van coming up 4 years and the batteries were on when we bought it so I believe they are now 10 years old.

We have 2kw pure sine inverter running off them for the microwave, coffee machine etc and as long as we can get sun onto the 320watts of solar we are fine but without much sun we obviously have limited capacity.

Will I Gel again YES but I would like 3 next time around.

Ps the G80 are quoted by Exide as a 80ah but this is on 5hr discharge, if quoted on the usual 20hr rate they would be 100 or 110ah, I think it's an indication of the quality that they quote the at the 5hr discharge rate.

Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Weight does matter ..

The heavier a battery is for a given ah the more lead it has.. the more lead it has the thicker the plates,.. and the more it costs .. no need to cut open to find out..

Example .. compare the Exide G80 Gel with the Hankook 125ah

The Exide G80 Gel Weight (kg): 28.

The Hankook 125ah Weight (Kg) 23

the weight of lead for each ah Exide = 0.35 kg the Broken Link Removed = 0.184kg

The Exide has almost twice the weigh of lead for each ah capacity

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
fact remains, the heavier a battery is for a given ah, the thicker the plates..

a fact overlooked or perhaps not thought about by some looking to buy .. it's all in the specs..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back