New to motorhomes with FIAT 2.3 ! (1 Viewer)

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Hello we're new to motorhomes,
After having tried camping, VW caravettes, caravans and folding campers, my wife and I decided to give motor homes a try. We are looking for more comfort and a nice warm safe place to enjoy with our grandchildren. We have put a deposit down on a 2007 Swift 630G as it seems to be the perfect layout for our needs. Since then i have been reading all the horror stories on the internet, I'm beginning to wonder if we're doing the right thing. Surely there are some owners with a FIAT 2.3 that are pleased with it? I have just counted all the new motorhomes listed in the June edition of MMM and over 120 of them use this engine and over 170 of them are FIATs (approx. 60% of all the models listed) are they all going to fall apart or blow up?

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
hi there and welcome .have you had a test drive in the 2.3 yet .
when you do come back and tell us what you think .
we have had two and in my opinion they are fab to drive .
you will find all makes have vans have there fores and against motor homing is one big compromise

Aug 28, 2008
Antwerp /Belgium
Funster No
Exp
These are very good robust engines; they are not going to fall apart or blow up.
The same motor is not only used by Fiat but also by Peugeot, Talbot, Citroën.
There are 100,000 of them on the road.
The only weak thing is the 5ft gear in the gearbox :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
are they all going to fall apart or blow up?

You've read what is going on - judge for yourself.

It does seem to be model and driver dependent. You may have no problems at all. But test it backwards up a steep incline and get your complaint logged at FIAT if there is any hint of judder.

OP
OP
Findlaters

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Hi,
Thanks for your quick replies.

Yes, I've had a test drive and really liked it. I was supprised at how easy it was and how well it pulled. I concider myself a steady driver as I always manage to achieve good MPG. It's nice to hear from someone who is pleased with the Fiat, as all i've read so far has been negative. I suppose it's like most reviews in that there are always more complaints than praise. We are picking the swift up on Wednesday and it's a 130 mile drive home, so it should be a reasonable test.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
We are picking the swift up on Wednesday and it's a 130 mile drive home, so it should be a reasonable test.

Why don't you give us a little 'report' on your homeward trip, like did it pull well up hills, did it reverse OK, etc etc. I would be interested since I have a 3 Ltr. auto on order.

OP
OP
Findlaters

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Why don't you give us a little 'report' on your homeward trip, like did it pull well up hills, did it reverse OK, etc etc. I would be interested since I have a 3 Ltr. auto on order.

O/K I'll let you know how we get on. It should be a fair test as route covers most of the types of roads encountered is this country.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
An absolute joy to drive. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. ::bigsmile:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
never seen a report of a problem with the 3.0lt auto .in judder gate .
when you do your test drive home do the reversing up a hill and if it judders report it to fiat

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
An absolute joy to drive. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Me too, I can regularly get 30 m.p.g., the engine pulls well from low revs, brakes are great and the ABS and whatever other electronics are on board saved me once.

If driven carefully when reversing, no problem. And lets face it, how often do we really need to reverse up an incline. I am faced with this every time I arrive home but manage no problem. Nearly 10k on the clock and the clutch appears fine.

Rgds
Bill

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 2.3 08 Trigano Tribute 650, and it's brill, we do have a slight judder in reverse, and it's registered with Fiat, but I look on it as a minor problem. I think that all the people doing the complaining on the forums about juddergate are shooting themselves in the foot as all the bad publicty can only devalue the vehicles.
this is just my opinion and I don't meen to upset anyone.

John.

OP
OP
Findlaters

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Picked up the Sundance

Picked up the Sundance on Wednesday and drove home in wind and rain.

As we headed home the rain was coming down in torrents and the wind was gusty. Really pleased with how the van pulled, only had to go down to fifth gear a couple of times on the long hills on the dual carriageway, but still managed to maintain a cruise of 60-65 mph. According to the onboard trip computer we averaged 25mpg on a combination of dual carriageway and very minor twisty roads

I was really suprised at how little the van was affected by the gusty side winds. I did try reversing up a hill and had a wee bit of shudder, but it wasn't too bad, in fact my wife never noticed it at all.

Really pleased so far. Going on our first trip for two nights next week. Not too far from home. Can't wait!

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Thanks for posting that - I would be happy with 25mpg on those roads.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back