Car Transporter Trailer (1 Viewer)

D

dougwatts

Deleted User
Hi all

I'm searching the net for a suitable car transporter trailer to carry a Daihatsu Sirion.

I'd appreciate any tips from members who have already been through this exercise.

Thanks. :Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi Doug

Brian James Trailers PRESS

These are the best if you have the money for one (keep your eyes on ebay otherwise)

Be aware any trailer like this are very wanted/steal able so buy as much security as you can for it

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dougwatts

Deleted User
Thanks Dave, but won't be big enough. Shame though as that's a good price!!

Doug :cry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Best advise I can give you is to buy reputable make, select a trailer that will allow you to fit a selection of vehicles on, A, it will have multiple use ,B, better resale prospects, and better carrying capacity,
Hitch trailer to Motor home EMPTY and set dead level,using drop plates if reqd, load car and confirm trailer is still level, check nose weight, 4 wheel trailers tow better than two wheels but are a lot harder to manoeuvre by hand, carry a spare wheel, ask about maintenace,
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I have a Brian James 1ton trailer, had a bit of a disaster with it when part of it broke, told BJ, sent them pics. and they sent me a new part FOC. this was on a 4year old trailer at that time. So I can vouch for their after sales service. ::bigsmile:

I would disagree with Geo though, My BJ is very low to the ground, with my overhang making the trailor level, would bring the trailer hitch and jockey wheel too close to the ground, with a euro van that should be less of a problem, but something to watch for.

DSCN5571.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Olley you seem to be in disagreement a lot lately are you bored:RollEyes:
you cant just dissagree :Doh:you have to back it up
There is only one way to set up and tow a trailer, and that is without fear of contradiction "Straight and Level" as a compromise if you must make one, a slight nose down is preferred, nose up is a NO No from start to finish, I hope you never see the gapping hole in the rear of your RV that will confirm what Ive just said:Eeek:

From memory your Brian James foldable hitch broke at it's weakest point (the folding bit) Due, as I recall pointing out at the time, due to your practise of loading and unloading still attached to your hitch and without using your rear support legs
So you will understand why I would personally pass on your advise this time:Cool:
Geo

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have to say i would sooner listen to GEO.a trailer should be level. there is other ways to do it. like stepped aframe hitches. its asking to be pulled by the ministry /police if not loaded n looking correct. i would reccomend a four wheel trailer much more stable n you have a safety net in case of a puncture on trailer.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Guys if you actually read my post I advised being careful that your hitch didn't end up to low to the ground because you tried to level the trailer.

If the only roads you ever travel on a as flat as a billiard table, you won't have a problem, but as the ones I travel aren't; with a large rear overhang I have to be carefull going over speed humps, loading ramps, sharp dips in the road etc.

My trailer sits nose up, even then my jockey wheel has been bent to buggery and the base of the tow ball has ground many a trough in the ground, because its still to low.

Incase you still can't understand, I have 12' overhang; lift the front wheels a couple of foot higher than the rear and the hitch is in the ground.

I didn't say that geo was wrong; I just pointed out that its not always possible to achieve perfection. For some of us real life considerations have to be considered.

Now let me get back to my boat. :ROFLMAO:
Now in 18776 place.

Olley

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think its called a swan neck hitch ,you need one Olley by the sounds of it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ill give him the once over Allen, next time we meet:RollEyes:
I might even slap him with a Prohibition Order:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no good to squeal when given a ticket. cant tell some. stopping loads here in cornwall at weekends even got portableweigh scales now so be warned . difficult to get a mot sometimes as the ministry men are out on the roadside.dont know why olley doesnt get a 5er save towing a car behind makes much more sense to me. save on tax ,mot,s .could save enough to buy you a pint n a packet of crisps.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Daismarg

Free Member
May 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
Exp
5 years
We have just bought a trailer from Smart-Trailer at the Peterborough show for our Fiat 500 and it was custom made for it! May be they will be able to help you for yours as their name suggests they deal a lot with smart cars but do make for other types of cars as well.

We got a good deal for ours at the show so may be wait until you next go to one of the Motohome shows and then seek them out for a deal!! :winky:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Sometimes I just despair :Doh: that's what I have, but how would lowering the ball improve my problem?

What it needs is for BJ to redesign the front end of the trailer just for me and make that a swan neck, perhaps I will suggest it, but then again perhaps not. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Olley Ive seen most of the gear you have invented for your Rv and have been very impressed
Why havent YOU made a swan neck trailer:Eeek: shall I bring me saw and mig to the next meet:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Mig welder pah, kids toy; stick welder thats the business, a real mans bit of kit. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
olley ,i havnt once said lower the ball .GEO has the right idea. you have the wrong trailer or was supplied with the wrong one. cant trust anybody these days . do it properly or dont do it.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Alan, right trailer, wrong RV ::bigsmile:

We originally bought it to tow behind the eurovan we had, and it was fine on there.

As for getting a fiver, "£$£%£^%&%^*^&(*( :ROFLMAO:

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

absolutely no point in fitting a swan neck hitch......the drawbar will still be at the same level as fitting a drop plate only slightly further back...it will still turn into a ploughshare when the back of the RV dips.
and the back of the trailer digging in when the front of the RV dips

the only way around this problem is to fit larger radius wheels thus raising the BACK of the trailer to make it level.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all

I'm searching the net for a suitable car transporter trailer to carry a Daihatsu Sirion.

I'd appreciate any tips from members who have already been through this exercise.

Thanks. :Smile:

Hi Doug,

whichever trailer you end up with you must make sure its legally capable of carrying your car.

if your car weighs 1000kg then a 1000kg trailer is not big enough.

the 1000kg rating is the GROSS weight.

my 3500kg Ifor Williams has a payload of 2850kg .....the trailer itself weighs 650kg........2850kg + 650kg = 3500kg:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
the only way around this problem is to fit larger radius wheels

Hi Papa already thought of that some time ago, but BJ designed the trailer to be as low as possible, and one of the side effects of this is that you have to swing the drivers side trailer mudguard down to open the car door. If I fit bigger wheels I won't be able to get out, unless I scramble into the back of the car and get out the rear doors.

Luckily being slim, young, and fit that's not really a problem; like it would be some on here. ::bigsmile: oops missed out good looking as well.:ROFLMAO:

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Olley,

i dont know the Brian James trailers.
are they leaf sprung, torsion bar or indespension type?

probably torsion bar but thoughts are if independant units then 2" steel spacer blocks between unit and 'axle'

leaf springs, you could go longer swinging hangers.

torsion bar...??? short of cutting them off and welding spacers in.:Eeek:

otherwise, larger wheels, drive on as far as possible, allowing exit, then hand-winch the last bit. not a bad thing if the toads a non runner at any time.

cant see any other way to level without loosing the hitch clearance.:Sad:

Last edited:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Are you going to the bring and buy this weekend?If you were i have a trailer i bought in france 2 years ago with all paperwork(compulsory over there) i could take with me.Only used 4 times,max payload 950kg.
dave

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Cracked it:thumb: all it took was a little thinking out of the Box:Cool:
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

---
--
--
--
-

---
10" mini wheels on the RV:thumb:
Sorted---Cheap RV tyres too

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Good thinking Geo, :thumb: save on tyres for definite; as it would be sitting on the brake discs.

Hi papa its full width torsion bar, to make it worthwhile I would have to block it 4"-6", I have been towing it for 3 years now as it is, and I don't find it a great problem, just need to have a supply of jockey wheels. ::bigsmile:

Olley

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Overhangs, swan necks, ploughing up tarmac, weight regulations, broken bits, repairs, stick welders versus mig... how about giving this all up and phoning for a taxi when and where necessary? :)
JJ

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good thinking Geo, :thumb: save on tyres for definite; as it would be sitting on the brake discs.

Hi papa its full width torsion bar, to make it worthwhile I would have to block it 4"-6", I have been towing it for 3 years now as it is, and I don't find it a great problem, just need to have a supply of jockey wheels. ::bigsmile:

Olley

ditch the jockey and fit an old leaf spring:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
D

dougwatts

Deleted User
Woooh, woooh fellows - I don't want to start a war!!

I appreciate all your comments. That's the beauty of this kind of site, you can take account of all points of view and are thus less likely to end up in the sh**!! :roflmto:

I am already favouring a 4-wheel BJ trailer.

Thanks alot

Doug ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
D

dougwatts

Deleted User
David

Thanks for your offer, but I'm not going to the 'do' :Sad: I haven't got my mh yet, I heard from the dealer yesterday that Swift have promised delivery in the next week or two.

Regards

Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back