Beware the speed gantry cams on the M25 are now officially switched on.. (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I thought that they had been working for a while now. However, like Surrey section, it may be that the police are now using them for their intended purpose which was to enforce the variable speed limits.

I googled speed cameras M25 but could not find any recent articles about them. Don't have any issues anyway, to coin a cliche, don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time. The rules are there........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I thought that they had been working for a while now. However, like Surrey section, it may be that the police are now using them for their intended purpose which was to enforce the variable speed limits.

I googled speed cameras M25 but could not find any recent articles about them. Don't have any issues anyway, to coin a cliche, don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time. The rules are there........
That's easy for you to say. Your car wont go much faster. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Again, similar to the parking thread. What's the problem?

If you want to take the risk of exceeding the speed limit and you get caught then you have nothing to complain about.

If you don't want to get caught, don't speed. Not exactly rocket science is it?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
They do but fines to subsidies police austerity budget cuts is a bit against the grain dont you think. :(
I always thought that the fines go into central government nowadays

Edit: anyway, it is irrelevant really - if people want to give the opportunity to donate to the police then let them.....

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The cameras are much more accurate than it was thought they would be so the police want the 10%+2mph dropping down. Vehicle speedometers are designed to show a higher speed than they are travelling at eg. 70mph shown 68mph actual so as has been said there is a limit to aim for and it's not 80 mph.

Reactions: GJH

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yeah but what jag driver uses that power they are too concerned about the mpg.:) Posers cars.;)
Nope - if I was worried about mpg I wouldn't have bought it. It is really nice to be able to execute safe overtakes with the power in reserve.(y) Much nicer car than my previous ones.

........poseur? Moi? Jamais! ;)

Edit - as soon as @peterc10 sees this there will be a guaranteed rant about Jag estates being a crime against humanity.......:LOL:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think you need to use your google search tools to find the M25 cam news.:) Read this if you dont believe the police get the fines for speed cams.(y)
I did say that I thought that is where they went, but as above, not really bothered about where they go. If caught, it is the same amount of money out of the pocket. On M25 and other variable or specs enforced roads, I simply set the speed limiter. As backup, the "Road Angel" (other brands are available) also warns me of cameras.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Again, similar to the parking thread. What's the problem?

If you want to take the risk of exceeding the speed limit and you get caught then you have nothing to complain about.

If you don't want to get caught, don't speed. Not exactly rocket science is it?
Which do you use. Sat nav speed indication or car speedo reading. Not so black and white.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Which do you use. Sat nav speed indication or car speedo reading. Not so black and white.

I just don't push the limit that closely. Seemples (y)

On the times I have done and been caught I've accepted it without bleating to anyone who will listen.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I just don't push the limit that closely. Seemples (y)

On the times I have done and been caught I've accepted it without bleating to anyone who will listen.
I have been driving for more years than most with nothing but a clean license so bleating doesnt come into it but with some setting their cruise by the speedo and some by their sat nave can cause frustration for some drivers.

Deleted User
As with the parking thread, once the "enforcers" gain a financial advantage, the human element of "enforcing" goes out of the window.

I'm not having the "don't do the crime" argument on either thread because that's not my point. If you ignore rules in either case then you get what you deserve. However make a mistake and a reasonable human being will understand (I can guarantee that every single one of us has broke the law with regards to speeding, either deliberately or accidentally and will continue to do so on an almost daily basis)

I think average speed cameras are excellent bits of kit though (accidentally going over 70 for 5 miles is hardly defendable)

Parking enforcement parasites are at the extreme end of the scale, god help our wallets if they ever privatise speed enforcement.

Is handing the cash to the local force "privatising enforcement?"

I'm not sure.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have been driving for more years than most with nothing but a clean license so bleating doesnt come into it but with some setting their cruise by the speedo and some by their sat nave can cause frustration for some drivers.

It makes no difference whatsoever what you use to set it. Set it for 3 mph under the limit instead of 10mph over and you won't have a problem.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for the info. We're both maxed out on points so will need to take care!

Its a shame they don't have an average speed camera... the amount of time you spend stationary on the M25 should mean you could cruise along at at least 100mph!

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I tend to use the sat nav as my speedo is about 15% out. I've heard that it's the most accurate, unless your going down or up hills? More a question than a statement?

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
The cameras in the variable speed zones have been active for several years but only operate when the speed restriction lights are on. That probably explains why you can drive along streches of the M25 with about 10 other cars visible and the lights are flashing "50" for no apparent reason.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It makes no difference whatsoever what you use to set it. Set it for 3 mph under the limit instead of 10mph over and you won't have a problem.
Perhaps I'm just too considerate, thinking of the frustration lined up behind me with drivers all using their legal sat setting. A few mph can make a huge difference on a busy M25 when all lanes are full. We need to have clarification and an idea what is a safe 70mph to travel at and what speed cams are set at.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I'm sure I read somewhere that there were Weight in Motion system sensors set into the surface of some motorways- eg M25 and M6 -with cameras on overhead gantries to take number plate photos of overweight vehicles with a view to pulling them in further on. I know there was a big and successful trial some years ago and we have watched more overhead gantries put up, which we assume were part of this system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back