Truma gas fire continually sparks (1 Viewer)

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi there
I have just completed all the checks on my moho before my trip to Spain and found that the TRUMA gas fire continues to spark even after the fire has lit, The fire works fine but continues to spark, I've stripped it down today and gave it a good clean, checked wires all looks ok,
I am assuming something is not telling the ignitor that there is a flame, Any ideas please.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Check the electrode possibly has a crack also make sure it is clean and in the flame when it is alight. Make sure the lead is not shorting out , if everything else is OK then it may need a new ignition generator

Check the electrode possibly has a crack also make sure it is clean and in the flame when it is alight. Make sure the lead is not shorting out , if everything else is OK then it may need a new ignition generator.

P. S I don't know this model of fire this is generic advice.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
check all earth cables are good as flamerectifcation will do what you have described with a bad earth connection if need be run a wire to earth or use a jump lead to rule it out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's nothing in this circuit other than the igniter. It uses the fact that the flame in the spark gap conducts electricity to sense flame/no flame.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
There's nothing in this circuit other than the igniter. It uses the fact that the flame in the spark gap conducts electricity to sense flame/no flame.
After thermocouples were phased out some very early flame sensors worked that way but they were soon dropped as linking the electrodes could short out the circuit in a dangerous way in some cases spiders webs with carbon build up cause them to malfunction. most now use rectification still uses the flame, but linking them out results in failure i'm no electronics bod just a humble gas engineer so the way it works is beyond me but its some thing to do with the current changing from ac to dc or vice versa but i do know a bad earth can cause the fault described
heres more on it hvac-talk.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161412&d

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
After thermocouples were phased out some very early flame sensors worked that way but they were soon dropped as linking the electrodes could short out the circuit in a dangerous way in some cases spiders webs with carbon build up cause them to malfunction. most now use rectification still uses the flame, but linking them out results in failure i'm no electronics bod just a humble gas engineer so the way it works is beyond me but its some thing to do with the current changing from ac to dc or vice versa but i do know a bad earth can cause the fault described
heres more on it hvac-talk.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161412&d
Interesting. I'd remembered rectification but Googled it to check & the answers made no mention of it. What you describe makes sense though as does an earth problem. I was really pointing out that no special sensors were involved - simply the igniter & its connections.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp