Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I have a terrible blind spot on my Peugeot Boxer (2015). At it’s worst when approaching a junction and turning right into the flow of traffic. Anything other than a T junction i.e. approaching at an angle of 60 deg or less and I can’t see the oncoming traffic - not helped by Remis blinds.

I’ve found these: http://www.towsure.com/milenco-aero-blind-spot-towing-mirror

Can anyone recommend them or offer an alternative?

Brian

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Brian - I have been using one for six years fitted on nearside mirror and find it great when touring Europe and joining m-ways. Well made and fits well.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I also have one on nearside, only thing is the actual mirror isn't adjustable within the unit, but I find it useful as because of the Remis blinds frame I cant see the wide angle section of the original mirror

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks guys, I thought it looked like they would do the job, just wanted to be sure before ordering a couple.

Just got back (literally) from an eleven day trip around western Europe (first time in a motorhome) - boy, those French do seem to like toot, tooting. No problem in Belgium, Holland and Luxemberg, one in Germany (may have to put my hand up to that one). Couple of dozen in France, to be fair I kinda got into it and eventually gave as good as I got :punch:.

Hopefully the mirrors may bring about a reduction :smiley:

Brian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have two of those mirrors and only got one toot in six weeks and that was a German lady in a Volvo so I don't even count it.

The one thing to be very aware of is vehicles are much closer than they appear.

Martin

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The one thing to be very aware of is vehicles are much closer than they appear.

Martin

Agreed, but to at least be able to see what's coming at angled junctions would be a bonus. Being a solo traveler can be very difficult.

I've tried to train muttley to keep his eye's peeled, but quite frankly he couldn't care less.

Muttley_zpsjbvqhj1r.jpeg

Just ordered the mirrors, hopefully they will do the job.

Brian

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Well, that was a success (I think). I manoeuvred the mirror around as far as I dare and subject to a test drive all looks good.

It's a shame the mirror is not internally adjustable :(

Mirror_zpssnqrefnc.jpg

Good point about judging the distance, evident from the silver car in the wing mirror and Aero Blind.

Brian

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Well, that was a success (I think). I manoeuvred the mirror around as far as I dare and subject to a test drive all looks good.

It's a shame the mirror is not internally adjustable :(

Mirror_zpssnqrefnc.jpg

Good point about judging the distance, evident from the silver car in the wing mirror and Aero Blind.

Brian
If you got rid of the sticker on window you could use the small one down the bottom, they are electrically movable

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
If you got rid of the sticker on window you could use the small one down the bottom, they are electrically movable

Right.....I'll have a look at that tomorrow when it's light. The sticker is for the alarm and was put there by the dealer.

I thought the lower mirrors were for checking kerb location etc. when reversing (I have a lot to learn about motorhomes)

Think I'd still leave the Aero Blinds on though, to late to take them off, I've named the van Micky Mouse :D

Brian

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I thought the lower mirrors were for checking kerb location etc. when reversing.
No they are wide angle Brian, they show what is immediately alongside you.
When you said a blind spot I thought you meant because of the side of the van like mine having no window

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
No they are wide angle Brian, they show what is immediately alongside you.
When you said a blind spot I thought you meant because of the side of the van like mine having no window

My main worry has been acutely angled junctions, although vehicles alongside have been of concern. I'll have a good play around tomorrow until I come up with a setting that works best for me.

Brian

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Set them as far out as they go and car windscreen height (y)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Being a solo traveller with a Boxer I have the same blindspot problem. I'm approaching it from a different angle (pun intended). I just ordered Broken Link Removed with the intention of mounting the camera below the nearside mirror in the hope it will allow me to view (via the monitor) blindspot traffic. I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives. Please let us know how your solution progresses.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
My main concern would be that when the inevitable tractor/white van incident occurrs, the expense will even more if thr mirror assembly is smashed off, as mine was 2 years ago. But then, I'm a tightar*e!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Being a solo traveller with a Boxer I have the same blindspot problem. I'm approaching it from a different angle (pun intended). I just ordered Broken Link Removed with the intention of mounting the camera below the nearside mirror in the hope it will allow me to view (via the monitor) blindspot traffic. I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives. Please let us know how your solution progresses.
I have same problem although my van is LHD and the pillar behind passenger seat blocks view on roundabouts where I can't pull up square I have small camera spare that will work off my radio head unit thinking the same as you I will watch with interest.
At the moment I have taped a spare Ducato mirror glass to the sun visor which gives me quite a good angle but of course the visor is down all the time.

OP
OP
Brian_K

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Finally got to go out and try the Aero Blinds (they didn’t fall off, so that was a bonus), although a little fog and constant rain didn’t help much with visibility.

As Andy suggested I manoeuvred the lower mirrors into position. The problem I had with these was they are well below my natural line of sight, taking longer to look at and consequently diverting my vision/attention for more than I would like.

The Aero Blinds were easier and quicker to use, being pretty much at head height. As has been mentioned they lengthen the true distance of any object (by about a factor of 2x), so something to be very wary of.

Both mirrors (Aero and lower) have their advantages and disadvantages, at least for me, but at £17 something each for the Aero's, money well spent.

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back