Complete beginner - first questions re camper (1 Viewer)

Rogward

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Brighton, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace LWB Hitop
Exp
Hi all

I've recently bought a Toyota Hiace LWB conversion - pic below. Never had a camper before and am completely baffled by quite a few things, hence joining this fantastic site. :)

alan in a field.JPG

I've bought a hook up cable and this morning connected it to the van to see if I can check what's working. he electric side of the fridge switches on, and the internal lights do as well. All good.

I then switched on the tap/pump switch below.

switchbank1.jpg

Lots of gurgly whirrings and then rusty water everywhere squirting in the power box and streaming out and over the van. The top had come off what I think might be the pump? Pic below.
waterpump1.jpg

Cleaned it all up - it was very mucky - and then pushed the top back on. (It's actually on better than in this picture following)
waterpump2.jpg

Then found this valve(?) the other side of the wall to where the pump(?) is - I guess this should have been opened before I turned the pump on?
watervalve1.jpg

This pipe leads to the sink.
sink1.jpg

There is an external filler cap for the fresh water, which I assume goes to a tank somewhere.

My questions are;

1) Does everything need to be open before I turn the pump on at the switch? Should the top of it have pushed off like that? It doesn't seem all that firm when in place.

2) What's the best way to get all the muck out of the system? Is there a good way to flush it out?

3) Any other tips/help/observations?

All advice most gratefully received. Thanks in advance . Back to the mopping up :)

Attachments

• sinkandstove1.jpg
    sinkandstove1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Rogward

Rogward

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Brighton, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace LWB Hitop
Exp
Update: I see now that the thing which came to pieces looks like it is a mixer valve for the water. The pump noises are coming from somewhere else. I've put water in the externally filed tank, and tried turning the pump on again with the valve and sink taps open. The top still blows straight off the mixer valve as before. Cleaner water everywhere now though, which is an improvement. :-(

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, can only think that the previous owner removed the top of the pump as part of the winter preparation, I know nothing about your van but try fill to about half way turn on the pump make sure each tap is closed then turn them on starting with the furthest tap, leave each tap running until it stop spluttering turn it off the do the next one, hope this help. (y)

Shame on the 50 odd Funsters who look at this post and didn't try and help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogward

Rogward

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Brighton, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace LWB Hitop
Exp
Thanks for your reply :)

The right angled bit at the top of the valve chamber was definitely in place until I turned the pump on.
waterpump1.jpg

It just pops off as soon as I turn on the pump switch, even if the sink tap and mixer are wide open. It's as if the pressure is too strong for the fitting. I can hold it in place and then water flows out through the sink tap, but I would need to tie/tape/wire it on to keep it there, and that doesn't seem right?

Also, I now understand how to use the thumbnails on here properly. Sorry for the huge images in the first post!

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My questions are;

1) Does everything need to be open before I turn the pump on at the switch? Should the top of it have pushed off like that? It doesn't seem all that firm when in place.

Normally the pump is controlled by a micro switch in the tap.. so the tap will be open when the pump starts.. in your picture it looks like the pump is controlled from a toggle switch on the basin.. so before operating the pump.. open a tap.

but even so, the top should not have come off that valve. , I'd look why and try to either fix it or glue it back in..

2) What's the best way to get all the muck out of the system? Is there a good way to flush it out?

Flush it out.. you could add a cup of thin household bleach to a tank of water to clean and sterilise it.. leave it soaking for about 20mins, pump some thought the pipes then flush out with a couple of tank loads of fresh water

3) Any other tips/help/observations?

Yes.. I'd look at resiting the 230v distribution box.. .. or make a waterproof cover for it..

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I can't help with the plumbing itself but you did ask about cleaning.

We used a product called PuriSol (ÂŁ7.99 from ebay) which you add to the water tank leave for a while (2-12 hours) then flush through to sterilise the system. No nasty after smells etc.

Good luck with it!

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry I don't have an answer for you but don't worry about using larger images as it helps people see in more detail what the problem may be:)

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,Rogward the electric fusebox is sure in a bad place where it is, if possible relocate it away from water pipeworks most of the vans I have had have the electric controls in a top locker ,or wardrobe .
as for the thing that keeps popping off that looks like it could be a filter pot as it does not look like a pump find out where your tank is their may be a submersible pump in your tank and follow your pipes, they may well be colour coded what type of water heater do have ? check out under the taps that they don't have a shut off valve open all taps and find out where drain is for waste water leave open and when all is sussed out just flush through the system until clean water is coming out .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogward

Rogward

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Brighton, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace LWB Hitop
Exp
Thanks everyone! Great help - I've tried a few more of your suggestions out now and have discovered:

1) The valve itself has a microswitch in it. I can hear it clicking in and out when I rotate the handle. I opened the water tap in the sink, I switched the valve to right off, turned the pump switch on and the top didn't blow off the valve. Success! Then when I turned the valve I could hear the pump being controlled properly. I think the handle on the valve must have been fully opened before, and that caused a pressure surge when the pump came on which pops it.

2) Will definitely cover the electrics immediately, and look to re-site the box as soon as I can. Good advice.

3) Many thanks for the tip re the water cleaning/flushing. Excellent.

4) I don't know what makes/where heats the hot water, and what switches it on, so will endeavour to find that and the actual location of the water pump next.

So far so good. I have several more questions to post another time. Quite exciting, all this! Voyage of discovery etc.

Many thanks for your help so far. Brilliant. :)

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
5 months ago we were complete novices too - lots of great advice on here.

We are now almost complete novices!

Jen

Upvote 0

debrisa1

Free Member
Nov 8, 2015
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Leisuredrive
Exp
2 years
Hi,
I have just bought a 1993 Ford Transit 190 LWB Leisuredrive campervan but I cannot work out how to assemble the lower bed. Does anyone have any ideas and could describe how to put the bed up or even better an old manual to help me?? I don't really relish sleeping on the floor with my puppy!!

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Welcome to the Fun @Rogward
upload_2015-11-8_16-10-43.png

I haven't a clue about any of your questions but you've certainly come to the right place to find the answers - masses of expertise generously given by those that know (y)

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the item that the top has come out of is a mixer valve it looks like its being used to supply the tap on the sink which was originally cold only i would imagine the switch is used instead of the micro switches or maybe as well as
the part thats blown out should hold water as its got an o ring on it but you need to hold it in place either glue or a clip or similar or possibly cable ties

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Bit harsh that, maybe those 50 persons didn't know the answer to the OP's questions.

Better not to answer, than guess and lead the OP astray.

Oh and

:welc:

Glad you got some answers and offers of help.
But none of them said that they couldn't help, when you've got a problem it's nice to know that others are there for you even if they can't help.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's a mixer for the single tap on the sink. The knob with the red and blue is where you set the temperature of the water. It seems a very odd arrangement though, possibly diy by a previous owner.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi and welcome.
As you will possibly have worked out, there are normally two systems for heating the water and as you seem to have a blue and red marking on the tap indicating hot and cold, one of these seems to be most likely what you have. Either an electric heater or gas heating. My first move would be to contact the previous owner who may have fitted the system or at least used it himself.
Usually you would expect to find somewhere a temperature control or possibly a dial with pictures of a flame.
Have a good look around for an enclosed cupboard where the plumbing seems to go, which could travel beneath the van,
As you have discovered that the tap has a micro-switch, it most likely means that you have an immersed pump. Check how many pipes go to the taps. normally a red pipe is hot and blue is cold water.
Often you can have access to the fresh water tank for cleaning and from your first description, the water will need cleaning out of the tank before considering using it for drinking.
There are several products for cleaning the water but bleach can leave a long lasting problem of taste.
All motorhomes are a challenge and there are many different systems to discover so keep the questions coming.

Alan

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back