Classic Motorhomes and Campervans .. Do you own one ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How is this defined.. or isn't there a definition.. ? I don't think there is .. it's just what people consider to be classic..

I'm thinking particularly about 'Classic Hymers' but there are many other marques that could be and are considered 'classics.'

VW , Winnibago, Airstream, Dormobile, Bedford CA, Commer Autohome, Eribacar, etc..

Also.. Quote: for cars...

In the UK, there is no fixed definition, although vehicles produced before 1973 are exempted from Vehicle Excise Duty, which has led to this being considered the cut-off date by many people. Meanwhile, HM Revenue and Customs define a classic car for company tax purposes as being over 15 years old and being valued at over £15,000.

Do you own a classic.. ?

please post a picture of your pride and joy and tell us all about it..

and for the purposes of this thread, .. anything you think is or will become a classic in the future..

My Hymer B644 is 14 years old, not quite a classic.. not yet anyway.

And what about the future.. are there any 'modern' vans that you think will become 'classics' ?

DSCF1946-002.JPG

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I think classic, when applied to vehicles, means "requires more care and attention than a Latin-blooded woman"

That said I am trying to refer to my '91 Hymer as "classic" rather than "old", especially to prospective purchasers... (y)

Here she is lurking amongst some future classics on an aire in Le Mans
IMG_20150826_203717.jpg

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
no one else with a classic ?

I thought there would have been more..

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I think a lot of the old classic VW campers caught fire, I actually saw one on fire a few years ago.....maybe that is why they are rarer and expensive ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Number 1 son has a Cavalier Coachman camper van on a Bedford CA. He put a lot of effort into restoring it. Never gets time to use it these days though so it sits on the drive :(

that's a shame.. try and get some photos to post (y)

froghopper43

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
winchester
Funster No
MH
renault machzone high top
Exp
since 1998
I have a 1986 built.. 1989 registered Renault traffic T1000 with a machzone coach built body. Last M o t a track rod end. 2years ago some chassis welding. If I could do photos Iwould.. Always gets attention. Well.!!!!!!!!!!!! A rRenault running ????
Off to Holland dDecember 21

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs

more to the point, when do the insurance companies class them as classic. I have old cars on classic insurance where they reckon 20yrs old and over, for as little as £69 yr and I had a 6 ton fire engine for £59 per year [3yrs ago], but nither of the firms I deal with for classic insurance can accommodate a classic motorhome on these type policies, so I pay 5 times that for our 26yr old gulfstream. Just wondered if others had managed to find classic insurance for theirs.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I love older motorhomes, Bedfords and commers especially, even later stuff like early 90's kon tikis, don't get the whole VW camper thing though.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Number 1 son has a Cavalier Coachman camper van on a Bedford CA. He put a lot of effort into restoring it. Never gets time to use it these days though so it sits on the drive :(
that's a shame.. try and get some photos to post (y)
Spoke to him a few minutes ago (it's actually a CF rather than a CA) and he's going to try to dig some photos out. Only just in time though as he has a buyer so it will probably be gone in a few days. Pity but at the moment it is just an expensive lump on the drive. He drives all over the country for work so has little time or inclination for using his van (The Rockbus :)) at weekends.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here's mine. Registered in Spain in October 1990 so as from January ..........no road tax , as it is over 25 years old.(y) That's already sorted back in May/June time.
Think it is a 1989 .Keep meaning to check as the Spanish paperwork just states date reg.here & the fact that it was imported. The cab itself & all underneath is as new. Amazing really when you consider the rust problem you get on the same models in the UK.
Looking a bit better now that I have replaced the over cab window with an original one I sourced when in the UK. I will have to take some decent pictures once I have finished the internal works. (y)

Attachments

• DSCF1591.JPG
    DSCF1591.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1597.JPG
    DSCF1597.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF1592.JPG
    DSCF1592.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 56
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Perhaps a good definition rather than just age would be when a vehicle starts to Appreciate rather than Depreciate.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
What a FAB thread this is! Thanks posters.

I love TV shows like "Wheeler Dealers" a bit cheesy, but what a mechanic that bloke is! Be great to see them restore a wreck of an MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back