Dodgy Dometic (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Last week I switched the fridge, an AES model with separate fridge and freezer, on at home on hook up so that it would be ready to load on Thursday /Friday, ready to go away on Friday afternoon.
SWMBO loaded up the usual amount of supplies for a weekend away and off we went.
Friday evening and we are ready to cook our meal so we raided the fridge and freezer.
Shock horror !
The whole thing was off and everything was a soggy defrosted mess.

After much swearing and cursing I tried to trace the fault with the help of the instructions.
I tried every which way to get it to work.
230v,12v and gas all had the same effect.
After a period of about one minute the blue light would start to flash, instead of being constantly on, and the fridge wouldn't start.

I was just about to throw in the towel and resort to drinking warm beer, when I had a light bulb moment.
It should be the red light that comes on when there is a fault, not the blue one.
The blue one flashes if the door has been left open, and it obviously shuts the systems down to save gas etc.

In the fridge door lock there is a metal sprung flap which must make a contact when the door is closed. There isn't one on the freezer.
I could just get my finger in the opening and gave the flap a few pushes in and out.
There was the faintest of clicks and low and behold, everything worked and has continued to work ever since.

I can't post pictures as I didn't take any and the MH is now at the dealers having, hopefully, the last of the warranty repairs.
But that is another story.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
It should be the red light that comes on when there is a fault, not the blue one.
The blue one flashes if the door has been left open, and it obviously shuts the systems down to save gas etc.

I had a similar experience with my Dometic fridge in the summer. I was awakened in the middle of the night by the fridge alarm sounding. The Blue light was flashing and my first thought was that either I hadn't closed the door properly or I had a fuel problem.
In the morning, when everything was checked and found to be okay but the Blue light and alarm were still operating, I phoned my dealer for advice.
As luck would have it, the local Dometic engineer was working at the dealers, and he knew what the problem was straight away. Condensation can build up beneath the clear cover which sits over the light/alarm housing inside the fridge. He told me to remove the cover, wipe it dry, and replace it.
That did the trick, although it did happen again a couple of months later but by then I knew what to do. Now the light cover is no longer in situ. It lives in the salad drawer.

Stef.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
@StefAndDi thank you for that information.
As I recall the cover was quite damp with condensation and I actually wiped it dry anyway.
I never thought of that being the culprit.

It's amazing the stuff you find out on this forum
:thanks3:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back