EHU on flat leisure batteries (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My RV is now on a lovely storage pitch but with no electric and the leisure batteries run flat.

Now I am allowed to move it up onto a service pitch the night before a trip but now if the batteries are really flat wont charge on hook up.

Now once I drive it and get some charge this way instantly means the batteries will then take charge from hook up.

Why is this and is there a solution? may a small solar panel? (as I am skint at the mo:Blush:)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Think the first question is why do your liesure batteries run flat John? Ours stands for three weeks at a time and there are still fully charged. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Think the first question is why do your liesure batteries run flat John? Ours stands for three weeks at a time and there are still fully charged. ::bigsmile:

Good point as batteries under a year old and there is an isolator i never forget to use. Wished i remember other things so religiously:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
John, somewhere on this great forum in cyberspace someone posted a long article about batteries and one of the things that really came home to me is that they run down even if there is no load, I think it's got something to do with the plates sulphating (Or something happening to the plates so the normal voltage gradually declines over time)

The bottom line is that batteries need a trickle charge to keep them in good nick, isolating the load isn't enough.

So, yes a small solar panel will probably help, Maplins are doing some small ones quite cheap (Sorry can't remember the price) they even have one which they say you can stick on the windscreen (with suction caps) and they claim this produces enough to keep the battery in good condition.

Of course you also need to check the electrolyte levels regularly too.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
batteries that run flat will become dead batteries, I thought you had a suitcase solar panel that you were happy to leave connected, what happened to that, did it get nicked?

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
batteries that run flat will become dead batteries, I thought you had a suitcase solar panel that you were happy to leave connected, what happened to that, did it get nicked?

Nope never had one but did post about them when they were cheap at Maplins.

Would the cope with 24/7 constant use in the open as my storage pitch is secluded so have to be on the roof.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
My RV is now on a lovely storage pitch but with no electric and the leisure batteries run flat.

Now I am allowed to move it up onto a service pitch the night before a trip but now if the batteries are really flat wont charge on hook up.

Now once I drive it and get some charge this way instantly means the batteries will then take charge from hook up.

Why is this and is there a solution? may a small solar panel? (as I am skint at the mo:Blush:)

A small solar panel is an ideal solution John.

It'll keep the batteries topped up.

All batteries have some internal resistance (even new ones) as no battery is 100% efficient (What you put in is what you get out).I wish they were, and they self discharge over time, even when isolated.

What you don't want is for them to discharge completely, because that's when the real damage starts to occur.

Like anything...You get what you pay for.

Link Removed

or

Link Removed

Link Removed

Hope you and your Dad and Bruno are keeping well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Could that be left externally?

I park my bus nose into an wooded area.

If i could leave it outside on my bike at the back on the easylifter??

Dads not so good, worried and not sleeping at night so leaving me worn out sadly.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Looked further into this John and here's some answers attached to it.

Q- Is this unit water proof and ok for outside installation. - Keith Smith
Answer- No sorry this product does not support that.
Q- Is it normal for this item to put out 22v as mine does? My battery is 50amp do i need a regulator? Regards Dan - Dan Downey
Answer- Yes it is normal but a 4.8w panel will not charge a 50amp battery you will need a 60 AMP solar panel.
Q- is this unit suitable to be left outside all year is it waterproof - paul harrison
Answer- No sorry this product does not support that.
Q- Would this charger be suitable for a 70 A/h leisure Battery? Could it be left for weeks unattended? - David richards
Answer- On this size battery a 10w panel is required for a maintenance charge (left on for ever) and for a full charge (regulator required) a 100w panel.

Can they be connected in parallel to provide 10 watts?

Otherwise there's

Link Removed
Link Removed

Product Features

• High efficiency crystalline cell for all-weather charging
  • Perfect for 12V appliances such as TVs or for maintaining a 12V caravan battery over a weekly period
  • Water-resistant, robust construction for outdoor use
  • 20 year cell warranty and 10 year module warranty

Although out of stock at the moment.

Sorry to hear your Father's not too good John.:Sad:

Mine's not too good either.Managed to get down to see him the other week.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have a pair of those 4.8, one keeps the pair of engine batteries topped up and the other is in a bank with 3 larger panels keeping the leisure topped up, works for me.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
\This one seems to cope with all weather, what do you think?

Link Removed

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
I use this 20W - good value for money :Smile:
Link Removed

:Smile:
Keith

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

The batteries are going far to flat for the inbuilt charger to help them
recover

Your alternator when running is banging in a huge amount of amps to kick start batteries, they WILL then charge from onboard charger becuse they are now no longer flat flat:RollEyes:
Result you will almost certaily damage your batterie if not allready and are in danger of over working your Alternator:Eeek:
At the price of a new alternator and batteries
a solar solution is now looking like a bargain fix:thumb:
Do it soon!!!!
Geo

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Sounds like a poorly designed charger that you have. I'm guessing that it trips out because of the high current needed. A decent charger, like the engine alternator, just current limits and keeps charging.

So a standard mains charger from Halfords or the like may charge it.

Does the battery charge and hold a decent charge now ?

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
It is true that most cheap taper chargers will trip out on overcurrent when hooked to a dead flat battery, but they usually have an auto-resetting thermal overload that just cycles on and off until the battery current reduces to below the trip value.

Some quite sophisticated three-stage chargers also will not charge a dead flat battery. They either have built in protection to prevent it continuing to pump current into a seriously shorted (as a dead flat battery appears to be) battery, or they need a certain voltage to be reached (on the way down) trigger the charge cycle in the first place. Hooking up an elcheapo taper charger for a few minutes - or running the engine - will provide enough voltage to allow the charger to operate properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back