A bit of a moan (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I drove down from Aberdeen via Wigan yesterday through fairly thick fog after driving up there a few days earlier in pouring rain. Both of which I could cope with, what I found hard to swallow were the number of cars and trucks that would suddenly appear out of the murk, with no lights on..... I feel better having got that off my chest! Alan

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
And it's not just the lack of brain power to turn them on. If you flash them they usually give you the finger too.
I drive a school mini-bus and to pass the time one of my favourite pastimes is to count the number of cars coming towards me with only one headlight working properly.
My all time record last winter in a round trip of around 30 miles each way was 34 going and 32 coming back.
Then, of course, there are the plonkers who have their red "fog" lights on in perfectly clear conditions and brake lights that have one out or an earth problem so touching the pedal dims all the rear lights.
Thanks rosalan I feel better for that little moan too.:)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
..... and what about these new fangled headlights (LED?) - worse than traditional lights on full beam - blinding. I also like to start the day with a little moan (no smart replies please!):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our new-to-us car has the front lights that are on all the time. Now when we were in Norway I could see how useful they were but I'm not so sure if I like them or not here (especially in the summer).

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I had a 1989 Volvo with daylight running lights, it's eventually caught on!

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I can drive in all conditions but I hate fog. My driving instructor - many years ago - said "Assume every other driver on the road is an idiot and be prepared for them doing something unexpected and/or stupid." In thick fog you can't always see the idiots driving at you at breakneck speed, even if they have got their lights on.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Our new-to-us car has the front lights that are on all the time. Now when we were in Norway I could see how useful they were but I'm not so sure if I like them or not here (especially in the summer).
My last car was the same Helen but at least you don't forget to turn them on:giggler:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
..... and what about these new fangled headlights (LED?) - worse than traditional lights on full beam - blinding. I also like to start the day with a little moan (no smart replies please!):)

I think they are killers. Yes you see the light that is blinding you but you do NOT see that push bike, pedestrian, motorcycle or even older vehicle not programmed to blind you. I'm sure that was why I got knocked off my bike a couple of years ago.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Don't have to be foggy dark or have dazzling headlights look out for the IdI OT driving the Asda van doing u Turn on duel carriageway

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
My driving instructor - many years ago - said "Assume every other driver on the road is an idiot and be prepared for them doing something unexpected and/or stupid."

Mine said the same but pointed out that "I" should be the biggest idiot, because "I" would not expect to make the mistakes which we all do.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Then, of course, there are the plonkers who have their red "fog" lights on in perfectly clear conditions and brake lights that have one out or an earth problem so touching the pedal dims all the rear lights.
Thanks rosalan I feel better for that little moan too.:)

Rear fog lights do my head in. Fog lights are only needed in very think fog where there is absolutely nobody behind you. There should be a sharp spike that lodges itself up the ar*se of the driver who switches there rear fog light on to remind them to switch it off. And an extra large spike for drivers who feel the need to switch them on when it's raining.

Thanks for the opportunity to get that off me chest:)

Cheers
Alan

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
What about the idiots who think switching on their parking/sidelights is adequate in rain or fog. They are as dim as NAAFI candles and about as much use.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No fog lights when there's anyone behind you?

I thought the whole idea of them was to make you visible/more visible to the bloke behind you?

What are they for then?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I drove down from Aberdeen via Wigan yesterday through fairly thick fog after driving up there a few days earlier in pouring rain. Both of which I could cope withAlan

Whatever you do don't come to Cornwall, there's a gert great yellow ball in the sky that seems to frighten the hell out of visitors

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.

I thought the whole idea of them was to make you visible/more visible to the bloke behind you?

What are they for then?
They are to warn people approaching from a distance that a vehicle is ahead. Once there is someone hanging on your bum you can turn them off.
If they are daft enough in fog to overtake you and then there is nobody in sight behind you then you turn them on again.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I drove back to Gatwick from Newcastle on Saturday evening, lots of fog then and plenty of stupid drivers racing to be the one in front but what bugged me most was some of the continental lorry drivers. Traffic was light so I had the cruise control on set a 65mph, just enough to be that tiny bit faster than the lorries and feel like I am getting somewhere but these drivers don't like being overtaken by motorhomes it seems as once I pulled back in soon after they are passing me again. I thought they were speed restricted!

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006

What are they for then?

So that drivers from a distance can see you. From a short distance they have the opposite effect by dazzling especially if there is any moisture on the windscreen.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

"daylight running lights". back in the late 80`s when they first appeared on Volvo`s. we use to have great fun Flashing all the Volvo drivers!. To let them know they had full lights on mid summer in bright sunshine!!. It was only on the bikes we used them. In the vain hope that "sorry mate didn't see you"might no longer be an excuse (never worked). Rear Fog lights Should be wired so that they automatically go off and stay off when the ignition is switched off, first foggy day hereabouts and they are on for the next week at least!!. Now maybe IF they where wired on the Accessories circuit, the No of cars with flat batteries next morning (late for work) would wake one or two up!!

Pete

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
With Winter weather rapidly approaching it is the one eyed monsters that annoy me, those drivers that can't be bothered to change a lightbulb, especially company vans. Makes me wonder just how many vehicles are on our roads without MOT's :mad:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So that drivers from a distance can see you. From a short distance they have the opposite effect by dazzling especially if there is any moisture on the windscreen.

Well if people drive up your backside they bloody well deserve it ! (I used to say that to my first husband and have to my second - well - drop back then dear! which is what I would do and used to do when we used to have a lot more fog than we seem to now. But I don't believe that's allowed for men .....)

As it is the other morning was the first fog I've ever driven in for years and years - and it really wasn't THAT bad along our road, to need foglights - dipped were fine.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I drove down from Aberdeen via Wigan yesterday through fairly thick fog after driving up there a few days earlier in pouring rain. Both of which I could cope with, what I found hard to swallow were the number of cars and trucks that would suddenly appear out of the murk, with no lights on..... I feel better having got that off my chest! Alan
That's what happens with no police patrols on the roads......expect the UK to become like a third world driving country or worse......Italy!!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I look forward to the day when some of the lights currently fitted are permanently removed. Rear foglights: introduced as an extra by a few car manufacturers then included in legislation. Were needed when vehicles (especially heavy goods) had rear lights invisible at 50 yards - not the case anymore. Front foglights: needed when dip beam cut-off was so vague that using headlights in fog threw back so much light that the driver couldn't see. Since cured by the almost clinical cut-off of todays dips. Brakelights - made unnecessary at low-level by the single central one positioned where following drivers can't miss it. I agree with the post that suggested over-bright lights can hide cyclists and pedestrians. I'd go further: dipped headlights are unnecessary in a 30mph limit with streetlights. All you can see, as a driver, is car lights. Cyclists and pedestrians are hidden by the contrast and at more risk. DRLs I agree with (never thought I'd say that:)) because they're intended to alert other road users to the fact that a vehicle is moving. They only work in daylight (when other lights are turned off) so cause no issue.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
In my view there should be better legislation on vehicle lighting. Digital lights are now the norm but instead of being a tools so you can see and be seen they are now a design element where each manufacturer has a unique pattern and method of operation, some giving greater illumination and now indicator lights that have motion, problem is none of the manufacturers seem to care about the effect they have on other drivers. A bit of a rant here but I despise BMW front lights, they are designed to make the front look aggressive so with all the 'rapid reps' driving them up your backside they can make me feel pressured, I hate BMW drivers with a passion! Well ok not all, they are nice motors but put in the hands of young reps they are weapons.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Dense fog sees BMW drivers back off to safe distance of seven inches

There’s a BMW in there somewhere, he just hadn’t got any lights on
Advice to drivers to leave larger spaces between them and the car in front in thick fog has seen some BMWs backing off to up to seven inches from the car ahead of them.
With heavy fog covering much of Britain today, driving conditions have become difficult, but BMW drivers have done their bit by tailgating very, very slightly less aggressively, and leaving a gap big enough for a very small dog to squeeze through.
“I still wanted to get to work quickly but I’d heard on the radio that we should adapt our driving, use appropriate lights and leave a greater distance to the car in front.”, said Paul Bevan, a 5 series driver,
“I couldn’t find any additional lights to use as I have my fog lights on all the time anyway, so I just put my headlights on full beam instead. I did back off slightly from the car in front but I was worried that he then wouldn’t get the hint that I wanted to be driving faster than him, so I sounded my horn continuously for a stretch of three miles on a single track road.”
“Eventually he pulled over to let me pass and gave a cheerful wave to apologise. Well, his hand was moving up and down so I assume he was waving.”
Simon Williams, from the RAC, said: “I genuinely cannot believe that people need us to suggest to them that it might be a good idea not to drive so fast when you can’t see. Are you all complete morons?”

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back