Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I could do with being able to fit an awning skirt to stop the drafts blowing through when we use the awning in Spain in a few weeks time. I don't particularly like the look of those sucker methods of fixing or fitting a track to the outside of the valance.

Having had a look underneath, it looks like I could fit a couple of sections of 6mm track on the inside of the valance. Anyone put it here or have another suggestion. If I go for sticking it, would bond it, any boning adhesive recommendations?

Cheers Dave

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't particularly like the look of those sucker methods of fixing or fitting a track to the outside of the valance.

I was thinking of fitting a 6mm awning track on mine for the skirt.. not done it yet.. but think it would look ok on the outside along the top edge of the valance..
Sikaflex will stick it.. perhaps a few s/s self tappers to keep it in place while it cures..

never thought of suckers..

back to the drawing board

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Where do you get them, the only one's I've seen don't look up to the job? and how do you connect them to the skirt?

Good old ebay where you will also get the eyelet kit for a few pounds.

Similar to ours..........
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Suct...hash=item2c670acb3e:m:mkhKMTS8qSaYji1sIxGvf5Q

Punch kit like this but check hole size is correct.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Suct...hash=item2c670acb3e:m:mkhKMTS8qSaYji1sIxGvf5Q

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Good old ebay where you will also get the eyelet kit for a few pounds.

Similar to ours..........

Punch kit like this but check hole size is correct.....

Cheers Brian

images (1).jpg

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have. Just used sticky backed Velcro on each end of the draught skirt and on the pads that go against the van. Also put a peg on the wheel trim where it crosses the wheel. So far it works very well.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We also used plastic suckers when we had an awning, put in eyelets in the skirt and pegged it down. Worked perfectly. We found some waterproof material which we used for the skirt itself.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
another good idea.. (y)

does the velcro on the van not get dirty..

how have you found it ?
Ha ha, the Velcro is on the pads that the poles next to the van go into. So the draught skirt is not fixed to the van other than by a peg on the wheel trim.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
We purchased a wind breaker that is only about 20inches high with poles,you cut out where the step comes down save drilling/sticking something to MH

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I screwed a rail on the underside of the valance you cant see it from the side and it worked a treat, my pal had velcro with road dirt and age stuck on the side it looked bl**dy awful. Pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi
I screwed a rail on the underside of the valance you cant see it from the side and it worked a treat, my pal had velcro with road dirt and age stuck on the side it looked bl**dy awful. Pete

Hi Pete.. underneath the valance isn't possible on the Hymer as there is a locker door between the door step and the rear wheel arch in the valance.

Fxing a 6mm rail along the top edge of the valance was the first plan, simply because the Kampa draught skirt is fitted with the 6mm bead.

Am going with the sucker idea which will make it easier to get access to said locker .. have ordered the Brian specials.. simpler and cheaper than rail..

Velcro got the thumbs down for the reason you cited

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
About 2 inches diameter with screw and thumbscrew. Then eyelets punched into skirt.
I sell hundreds of these for use on skirts. The ones I sell are top quality, there are a lot of rubbish suckers and eyelets out there.
suckers.JPG

I sell them on Ebay at £10.99 for 10 and do them in grey or white.
For funsters I will do them for £10.00 including postage and packaging.
Just drop me a message though the forum if you require any

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I sell hundreds of these for use on skirts.

Brilliant, what the forum needs is this going on record somewhere. Goodness knows edievanblitz gets enough publicity why can't you.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I sell hundreds of these for use on skirts. The ones I sell are top quality, there are a lot of rubbish suckers and eyelets out there.
View attachment 81510

already ordered.. but if they are rubbish will give you a shout..cheers

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The standard Chinese suckers can have a number of issues. They can discolour, go hard especially in the cold, they can also focus the light if used on windows creating a risk of fire. The ones I sell do not suffer any of these issues.
The eyelets we use don't require any special tools to fit, you can use one as a template and cut the hole with a sharp knife, then hit with a hammer to lock on. They also come with a rubber washer to ensure they cant twist on even the thinnest of materials. Being plastic they don't cause rust marks or cut into the fabric around their outer edges.
We tried a lot of different manufacturers before we settled with the one we have and we cant fault them.

Of course all suckers are only as good as the surface they are stuck to!!!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
View attachment 81510
Just sent you a PM

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
We use Jezport's suckers. If you put them together properly and clean where you are going to use them, they stay put. Would recommend to a friend.

Anne

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I'm using jezports side panel with suckers to the side of our van in Benidorm and they have held very wellin recent bad weather.
I will be ordering an extra side panel when we get back home.

John.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I'm using jezports side panel with suckers to the side of our van in Benidorm and they have held very wellin recent bad weather.
I will be ordering an extra side panel when we get back home.

John.

Thanks for the feedback, its always good to hear when folk are happy. Hope the weather gets better for you soon.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I ended up not getting it sorted before heading off but in the end I used that figure of eight channeling plastic strip to stiffen the bead and it's now cable tied behind the vallance. Seems to have done the job ok.
20151123_170429.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back