Starting a 12 month career break to go motorhoming (1 Viewer)

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi There
I have been updating a thread in INTRODUCE YOURSELF and feel that its not in the right place and don't know how to move a thread, so I have started this thread instead.
440 days ago I had a career break approved and have been patiently waiting for the days to pass which gave me plenty of time to prepare the moho ready for the tour, there has been many changes, I think we are on plan W at the moment lol, first it was going to start in September, then October at the maturity of some shares, then November due to the imminent arrival of our 4th grandchild, anyway long story short we have booked for the Portsmouth to Santander ferry on the 22nd of November and I have worked my last shift TODAY!!!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi There
I have been updating a thread in INTRODUCE YOURSELF and feel that its not in the right place and don't know how to move a thread, so I have started this thread instead.
440 days ago I had a career break approved and have been patiently waiting for the days to pass which gave me plenty of time to prepare the moho ready for the tour, there has been many changes, I think we are on plan W at the moment lol, first it was going to start in September, then October at the maturity of some shares, then November due to the imminent arrival of our 4th grandchild, anyway long story short we have booked for the Portsmouth to Santander ferry on the 22nd of November and I have worked my last shift TODAY!!!
Have a really great break........ go for it and enjoy. (y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Have a wonderful time. Keep us posted on your journey.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Adventures, sunshine and relaxation here you come! I am sure you are going to have a great time and won't want to go back at the end of it.

Keep posting and most of all enjoy.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
What's the plan:)
Thank you for all your comments, The plan so far is ferry to Santander, steady amble toward Madrid, over to Valencia and work our way down to La Manga for the 18th of December where we have booked on the rally until 8th of January, the rest has still to fall into place.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Keep a diary: when you are very old and off the road it will be a great thing to remember your trip. I keep an online ( Blogger) blog with photos. It's private and only for family but I enjoy re- reading it and it saves all my photos ending up, unlabelled, in a huge file. It's dead easy to do.

Enjoy it all and safe journey.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Keep a diary: when you are very old and off the road it will be a great thing to remember your trip. I keep an online ( Blogger) blog with photos. It's private and only for family but I enjoy re- reading it and it saves all my photos ending up, unlabelled, in a huge file. It's dead easy to do.

I also do a blog, not so much for the family, its because I can never remember where we have been and I do love reading it, its like reliving the experience all over again. by the way we cooked Christmas dinner today for all the family seeing as we are not going to be home for Christmas it was brill.

Marzipan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1990-1993 and 2013 onwards

Can Eeyore or Swidy advise me how to create a Blog please?
We have just spent six weeks touring France in our motorhome staying mainly at free aires and the occasional Passion. I kept a written diary and have over 600 photos!! It would be great to create an online diary with the photos associated with the correct diary days. Looking forward to our next visit!!
Thanks.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Can Eeyore or Swidy advise me how to create a Blog please?
We have just spent six weeks touring France in our motorhome staying mainly at free aires and the occasional Passion. I kept a written diary and have over 600 photos!! It would be great to create an online diary with the photos associated with the correct diary days. Looking forward to our next visit!!
Thanks.
Hi Marzipan (www.blogger.com) and just create a new blog there are other blogger sites but I have only used this one. Google is always a good place to start.

Marzipan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1990-1993 and 2013 onwards
Thanks Swidy, I'll give it a go, see how it goes :smiley:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
You'll have a blast. We took a year out intending to go back to real life and that was 6 years ago! It's a bit addictive.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
You'll have a blast. We took a year out intending to go back to real life and that was 6 years ago! It's a bit addictive.
So I Guess the odds are that it wont only be for a year (hopefully), what have you done in the six years has it been touring with breaks to come home etc

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Thanks Swidy, I'll give it a go, see how it goes :smiley:

Just seen your post. If you have any problems send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you my step by step instructions that I wrote out for family members who started their own.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We rented out our house, stored stuff etc for the year. We sold our house in year 2, got rid of mortgage and bought a flat with what was left which we have rented out since then.

We are (a little) young to be officially retired so for the last 4 years we have supplemented the rent doing 3 or 4 month stints on C&CC sites. We travel 6-7 months every year and love it. We stay in some places longer then others but I guess the main point to make is the first year was a bit like a holiday, quite extravagant and certainly expensive but since then it's our everyday life so we have to be more budget conscious.

For us it's been a revelation, we do not miss the stress of our previous careers and being out of the rat ace. It's also great seeing new places and meeting so many interesting people, many of which we now call friends.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Is there more than 24hrs in a day..... when you have finished work ready to go touring and your all packed up, fuelled up, gassed up, ferry booked, every day is like a week, I've never been one for wishing my life away but this is crazy, I finished work 2 weeks ago which seems like 2 months and we set off on 21st November. having delayed setting off to await the arrival of our 4th grandchild.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Is there more than 24hrs in a day..... when you have finished work ready to go touring and your all packed up, fuelled up, gassed up, ferry booked, every day is like a week, I've never been one for wishing my life away but this is crazy, I finished work 2 weeks ago which seems like 2 months and we set off on 21st November. having delayed setting off to await the arrival of our 4th grandchild.

You sound like us, we "retired" pretty early (40's) and lived in Spain for just over 6 months.....
Came home and began working again as I just couldn't bear not being able to get up in the morning with new challenges ahead.
But really enjoy extended breaks away in the MH now, especially France and it's a different sort of "semi retirement" I guess.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are all different, personally I have not had a bored minute since we stopped full time work. Dave and I often comment that there's still not enough hours in the day. Others get bored after a couple of months off. The beauty of a motorhome is its versatility good for a night away and great for living in if that's your thing. I cannot imagine living within 4 walls permanently at the moment.

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I think I'm being misunderstood, I'm not bored, I`m waiting for the days to pass until we set off and its dragging.

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
Hi
We are 4 months into our first 9mth tour around Europe in our first Motorhome and we are loving it. We have met so many lovely people along the way all eager to help you and give tips to newbies. We are currently in Portugal but will be in Spain for Xmas.
Enjoy your new life you will love it!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I love reading this stuff I've already warned my employers that my target for retirement is 2017 , for me the plan would be to have nothing set in stone ,give myself the flexibility to just go where I felt like going .
keep us posted with your blog please

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Swidy - I know exactly what you mean. Once you've made the decision you cannot wait to get going? It will come though, I had to do 12 weeks notice and those were the longest weeks of my life ;)

Not long now :)

OP
OP
swidy

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi
We are 4 months into our first 9mth tour around Europe in our first Motorhome and we are loving it. We have met so many lovely people along the way all eager to help you and give tips to newbies. We are currently in Portugal but will be in Spain for Xmas.
Enjoy your new life you will love it!
Nice one, longest we have done is 5 weeks a couple of years ago, where will you be in Spain for Christmas we are stopping at La Manga mar menor on the coast near Murcia.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back