Cardiff - what a cracking campsite (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Just spent a couple of days at Cardiff's campsite located right in the middle of town and was really pleased with the location and facilities not forgetting the staff on site who were delightful. I wish other larger cities could/would take a gamble of providing the same that Cardiff do as they must surely reap the benefits of a succesful campsite. I know Bristol has a site in the centre but I think of places such as my birthtown of Birmingham that has so much to offer for passing motorhome visitors but no where to stay especially as the city has in excesss of 500 parks and open spaces - maybe just one could accomodate a new campsite ?

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Handy for Glamorgan County Cricket ground, virtually next door. Good to know as it is a test venue now. Easy and pleasant walk into city centre along the river too.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Oh good, we are booked in for next weekend.
Do you know where we could eat out on the Friday night?
Within a shortish walk?
Thanks

OP
OP
sylvester1954
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
5 minutes walk away from the campsite is a pub/restaurant Y Mochyn Du by the cricket ground...and if you get a chance for a day time snack look into Castle Arcade (oppos the splendid castle entrance) as there are some brilliant eating places in the arcade too

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Mill street is regarded as the " eating quarter". Restaurants of all ethnicity to tempt the palate.

One of the great things about Cardiff city centre is that nothing is very far away. Everything is accessible.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Gets a big thumbs up from us as well. We visited a few years ago when we were tuggers.
Very clean, tidy, well managed site.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just spent a couple of days at Cardiff's campsite located right in the middle of town and was really pleased with the location and facilities not forgetting the staff on site who were delightful. I wish other larger cities could/would take a gamble of providing the same that Cardiff do as they must surely reap the benefits of a succesful campsite. I know Bristol has a site in the centre but I think of places such as my birthtown of Birmingham that has so much to offer for passing motorhome visitors but no where to stay especially as the city has in excesss of 500 parks and open spaces - maybe just one could accomodate a new campsite ?
May I suggest using your local knowledge to identify the most appropriate of those spaces (e.g. least used for other purposes) and approach the council with a proposal.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
What's the max size of motorhome they take.
No problem up to 8m certainly.

It IS a great site, but at risk of denigrating my locale, my neighbour did had both bikes stolen off back of MH (they were locked on) last Summer in Cardiff site, so be wary it is central city.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
No problem up to 8m certainly.

It IS a great site, but at risk of denigrating my locale, my neighbour did had both bikes stolen off back of MH (they were locked on) last Summer in Cardiff site, so be wary it is central city.

Don't worry they now offer to lock your bikes away in their shed.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I was quite tempted to go after reading the praises above until I checked the cost, £30 per night (£27 without electric) and that's all year round.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I was quite tempted to go after reading the praises above until I checked the cost, £30 per night (£27 without electric) and that's all year round.
I agree, its cheaper to book into a b&b than spend a night here no matter how wonderful. not for me thankyou.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
@Khizzie and @GeriatricWanderer - we would like to go to Cardiff, please could you tell me where the cheaper B&Bs and aires are in/nearby this town?
Enjoy your stay in Cardiff..if you look onto Google you will find many b&b at sensible price I am sure ..depends on what you want you pays your money and you makes your choice.. ....i stayed in a b&b at Port Talbot for £28 a night last year and was very happy to catch public transport to wherever I wanted . Not really knocking you but I feel that site is very expensive..cardiff is a great city and so vibrant I am sure you will enjoy your visit.

OP
OP
sylvester1954
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I agree that Cardiff was a little expensive and maybe one could find a B&B in a big city like Cardiff at less than £30 a night (but I think probably a wee bit more pricey than that tbh). However we bought a MH to use as often as possible and not to use B&B's or hotels unless in a real emergency. And what attracted us was the real benefit of walking into the centre within minutes so there was no need to move the van, or catch buses and taxis etc and therefore the thrust of the post was to reflect on how few city's and towns in the UK have such a central facility .

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
I have this bookmarked as I really like Cardiff and a couple of nights there would be just my cup of tea (and pints of Brains!). As to cost - yes, that's expensive but then I think any city site or aire is going to cost a lot more than something rural. I have bookmarked sites/aires to visit Naples, Rome, Berlin, Amsterdam, Copenhagen etc and they are all relatively expensive. But it's exciting to visit a city in a MH! Shopping, bars, restaurants, museums... in my plans such trips will be like mini-holidays so, yes, expensive but a treat :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I love Cardiff. I am hoping my son will be studying medicine there next year which will give me more excuses to visit.

The best city in the UK in my.biased opinion

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

When I visited about 4 years ago there was a huge RV in there. I know because the lady owner of it kept having a go at us for tripping the electrics on the post we were plugged into.

Why she thought it was us and not her was unclear.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I love Cardiff. I am hoping my son will be studying medicine there next year which will give me more excuses to visit.

The best city in the UK in my.biased opinion

EXACTLY!
And speaking as a retired consultant from university hospital of Wales, not a bad place to study medicine. Much cheaper than many cities and they do seem to enjoy it.

Cardiff has changed a lot for the better in the 20 years we have been here. Plenty to do within a good small area.

The city campsite IS very central and aneasy walk to the shops or nice boat trip around to the bay..

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Places to eat abound. If you take the gate near the reception this leads to to cathedral road . Plenty of nice pubs with tidy food .
Fish at 85 just off cathedral road is a experience not cheap but great fish . Don't be put off by the look of the frontage. All an easy walk from the site . The site staff will put you right .
Regards dave&june dotsontour
Ps Enjoy

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Enjoy your stay in Cardiff..if you look onto Google you will find many b&b at sensible price I am sure ..depends on what you want you pays your money and you makes your choice.. ....i stayed in a b&b at Port Talbot for £28 a night last year and was very happy to catch public transport to wherever I wanted . Not really knocking you but I feel that site is very expensive..cardiff is a great city and so vibrant I am sure you will enjoy your visit.

Thanks for your info Khizzie. Agree the site is pricey but from the good reviews does sound as if it would suit us due to its location and that we can use Addie. :)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

Unless they have changed their policy then there is no restriction beyond advising them so they can allocate a suitable pitch - have been to an RV rally there a while back and there were 40ft units there. The entrance can be a shade tight for the larger vehicle and in the past if you phone ahead they will meet you at the exit barrier and allow you in that way which is easier for larger vehicles.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks to the original post we used this site as the first stop on our 'Welsh Tour'. Fantastic position, 10min walk to centre of Cardiff. We cycled all around the area using mainly cycle paths and will certainly use this site again. Not cheap but considering its position worth the money. Very clean and well laid out site. Very helpful and informative staff.

Thank again,

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back