Migrant incident at Dieppe (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Copied from the dark side.. (I have split the block of text to make it easier to read..)

Today, 08:31 PM

We went out on the Euro Tunnel on 24th October, 6.30am train and had no problems at all - no delays, didn't see anyone at all. We thought it would be safer travelling with children to come back a different route so decided on Dieppe.

Last night we spent the evening driving around and around trying to get into one of the aires - no luck, all full, so drove down to the port to see if we could stay there - BINGO - immigrants about 20+ on the roundabout. We decided to try and get on the ferry that night but it was full - because there were only 2 security guards who were getting abuse from the immigrants we decided it was safer to stay out of town so went to an aires 20 miles out which was busy but we squeezed in.

We left the site at 3.30am in the dark and fog, 10 miles from the port there was a flashing light in the distance - we thought it might me a mad jogger or someone broken down, but as we got closer we realised there were some people at the side of the road (D926) hidden behind the barrier shining a light to make you slow down - we realised what was happening so didn't and they threw something at the motor home (possible rotten fruit or a stone).
Im sure we werent the only ones targeted last night in that area. We put our foot down and didn't slow down for anything and reported the incident at the port.

Be aware on the roads - its not just close to the ports or Calais any more - keep your eyes open. Once at the port they then pulled a 10 year old boy out from a Luton van from the gap between the lifted tailgate and the van! We will certainly be thinking about our times of travel in future.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
these people are getting even more desperate now winter is coming. where ever they see an opportunity they will jump on it no matter how dangerous or damage they cause. the french just turn a blind eye as they need them gone

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Thanx for the info Jim we head out on Friday via the Tunnel but we often have a stop at Dieppe love the aire and its a great town + market , may give it a miss .

If we do stop and pick up any unwanted guests they will be in for a shock when they reach Portugal . :D

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We spoke to another motorhomer while we were away this weekend. They had someone jump out on them near the tunnel. They are no longer traveling to France, they used to go a lot.

If the UK had sense they could benefit from the hassle at the ports by building aires.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We spoke to another motorhomer while we were away this weekend. They had someone jump out on them near the tunnel. They are no longer traveling to France, they used to go a lot.

If the UK had sense they could benefit from the hassle at the ports by building aires.
Why should the UK build aires at Calais &c to house migrants? Would tat stop them trying to enter the UK illegally?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Best bet is to travel in the day, we very rarely see any of these immigrants anywhere near the port in daylight, and most times, we cross early morning to France and try and return to the UK around midday

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you may have the wrong title @ScotJimland , no mention of Dieppe in the quote only the Eurotunnel & Calais also the D926 is in the south of France.
We have been through Dieppe 4 times this year, last time on the 22nd October no signs of any problems.

Deleted User
I think you may have the wrong title @ScotJimland , no mention of Dieppe in the quote only the Eurotunnel & Calais also the D926 is in the south of France.
We have been through Dieppe 4 times this year, last time on the 22nd October no signs of any problems.

There could be many D926's in France, the D denotes a Departmental road and there are many Departments in France.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I don't know any more than what I read in the post

We thought it would be safer travelling with children to come back a different route so decided on Dieppe.

.. it was how I read it.. ^^^^^^^^

D926 .. there are several in France.. it may also be a typo.. or human error.. the D925 is in Dieppe at the port Google Map

people traffickers operations are not confined to Calais ..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...er-of-stowaways-arriving-in-UK-to-double.html

in any case.. it was only posted for information.. heed or ignore..

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Think the poster meant "build Aires in the UK" so we would holiday here instead of crossing the channel.
Thats what I thought.
We should elect more motorhoming MP's, then ... maybe? :sneaky:
Why should the UK taxpayer pay to build aires when it has been demonstrated time after time that the insufficient demand for them would result in the majority subsidising a small minority?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Why should the UK taxpayer pay to build aires when it has been demonstrated time after time that the insufficient demand for them would result in the majority subsidising a small minority?
Where has it been demonstrated time after time that the insufficient demand, as far as I'm aware there has only been the odd Aire here and there. It will never work unless there is a full network of Aires across the country so we can travel round the UK and never have a problem finding a night stop.
In the meantime like many others I'll spend my money in France & other European countries where I'm welcome.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Where has it been demonstrated time after time that the insufficient demand, as far as I'm aware there has only been the odd Aire here and there. It will never work unless there is a full network of Aires across the country so we can travel round the UK and never have a problem finding a night stop.
In the meantime like many others I'll spend my money in France & other European countries where I'm welcome.
Every time the subject is raised all but a very few people refuse to do anything concrete to try to identify places where aires would be viable and then approach the land owners to create them. That demonstrates the insufficient demand.

As regards a "full network of aires" how many does that involve? 100? 500? More?
Even the facility at Guisborough cost £1,000 and that was because nearly everything was in place. Remember that @John & Joan has shown that aires can easily cost in the region of £50K each to create.
If it is one aire in each district/unitary council area that is more than 400 so if the average cost were to be as little as £5k that would be in excess of 2 million pounds.
There are less than 200,000 motorhomes in use in the UK and of those nowhere near everyone would want to use an aire. Value for money? Hardly.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
50k !..... Must be a public sector one that :whistle:
True, demand for them is a valid point..... bit it does make travel somewhat more difficult without proper stops.... and to boot, misuse by 'certain people' would be another valid concern.
We have just added a stop at the airfield, just for 2 vans, water, EHU, disposal and total cost was less than €1000, admittedly done with free labour and equipment already there.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Careful, Graham!
You will be accused of heresy if you keep on spouting indisputable logic.::bigsmile:

Surely there are already enough sites / CLs / CSs around?

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
50k !..... Must be a public sector one that :whistle:
True, demand for them is a valid point..... bit it does make travel somewhat more difficult without proper stops.... and to boot, misuse by 'certain people' would be another valid concern.
We have just added a stop at the airfield, just for 2 vans, water, EHU, disposal and total cost was less than €1000, admittedly done with free labour and equipment already there.
It was one of the Irish council aires. At the time of the post it was shown to be not excessive. That comment "must be a public sector one" begs the point, though (as highlighted previously) - if the private sector could do it for so much less then why are companies and individuals not falling over themselves to do it?

Great that you have added the airport stop but I wonder what the cost would actually have been had free labour not been available? :) Certainly the involvement of enthusiasts might be a way to help aires in the UK but then we come up against the same old problem, all but a very few people refuse to do anything.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In scheme of government spending 2 million is very little and it would help with tourism. There may not be many Motorhomes in the UK but on mainland Europe they far outnumber caravans. Every time we talk with French & German Motorhome owners on Aires they all say the same thing, we would love to visit the UK, but there is nowhere to stop & the ones that have been say they wouldn't go again for the same reason and they also found it difficult visiting towns due to height barriers. Foreigners see the UK as a no go area for Motorhomes and a lot of us Brits agree.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Careful, Graham!
You will be accused of heresy if you keep on spouting indisputable logic.::bigsmile:

Surely there are already enough sites / CLs / CSs around?
Don't you have to pay for those ?:whistle: Ok if you are on a pension.:)

:reel:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In scheme of government spending 2 million is very little and it would help with tourism. There may not be many Motorhomes in the UK but on mainland Europe they far outnumber caravans. Every time we talk with French & German Motorhome owners on Aires they all say the same thing, we would love to visit the UK, but there is nowhere to stop & the ones that have been say they wouldn't go again for the same reason and they also found it difficult visiting towns due to height barriers. Foreigners see the UK as a no go area for Motorhomes and a lot of us Brits agree.
So identify places for aires to go and approach the government and/or local councils then because they certainly won't act when the evidence isn't there.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The CL and CS networks together with the Britstop network and other pub stops provide plenty of off site based places to park. When those are all full to bursting 75% of the time then I think that will show demand for something more. But other than in a few popular locations they generally aren't.

Of course a lot of the people demanding that the government or whoever provides a "full network of aires" don't actually mean aires at all. They want to be able to park overnight for free and just want something for nothing.

Just for clarity, I never stay on club/big sites. In the UK I prefer Britstops where possible and the odd CL/CS where not so I would love an aire type network here and would happily pay to use them but I think it's pretty unhelpful to demand that they are built at taxpayers expense or suggest that local authorities are forced to provide them.

I've given it some thought for the nearest town to us, Kettering, and for the life of me I can't think of anywhere that might be suitable - the local council only operate three small car parks and none of them are suitable for heavy or large vehicles. I wouldn't try and get my motorhome into two of them even if I was allowed to and the third wouldn't be a great place to overnight. I can't think of any other council land that could be used.
Also I really don't see why anyone would want to use such a facility in Kettering even if there was one. It's not really worth visiting other than possibly Wicksteed Park which I believe will allow you to stay there overnight anyway.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You would have to pay for aires as well wouldn't you? :D
Hopefully not(y), but as ever , where are they going to put them, with the U.K. Forever wanting more and more houses every bit of spare land is being built on and councils aren't going to be very happy at spending thousands to get nothing back.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have been motorhoming for decades longer than your good self lennyhb yet never had a problem in finding somewhere in the UK to stay. What towns have height barriers, I cant think of one. Not a very strong case you are presenting here lenny.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hopefully not(y), but as ever , where are they going to put them, with the U.K. Forever wanting more and more houses every bit of spare land is being built on and councils aren't going to be very happy at spending thousands to get nothing back.
Valid point about land but why "hopefully not" when it comes to a charge? Why should council tax payers subsidise a few motorhome owners?

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
It was one of the Irish council aires. At the time of the post it was shown to be not excessive. That comment "must be a public sector one" begs the point, though (as highlighted previously) - if the private sector could do it for so much less then why are companies and individuals not falling over themselves to do it?

Great that you have added the airport stop but I wonder what the cost would actually have been had free labour not been available? :) Certainly the involvement of enthusiasts might be a way to help aires in the UK but then we come up against the same old problem, all but a very few people refuse to do anything.
Well, definitely doesn't suprise me if it's Irish !
The point being that the usual public sector/council/public body way of doing things beggers belief. Our small stop would have cost multi thousands if they did it, consultancy, h&s bullshit, over engineering and general wastage is obscene.
Ours is now used very frequently, it's free or a donation to our club.... To date we've recouped the initial investment a few times over. We didn't design it to make money, rather a service for like minded individuals.

I'm not a public sector knocker, rather a businessman who sees first hand how ridiculous amounts of money is squandered and if it was run as a business it would have gone tits up years ago. It's OUR money they waste.

The private sector won't get involved unless there is a route to seeing a return or at least use of the property after a certain period of time....

So, you're right, the demand needs to be there but as a route to greater tourism it needs looking at at goverement level..... maybe a couple million on consultants is required ;)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What towns have height barriers, I cant think of one. .

I can...

Aires are all about location.. no point in aires where no one wants to visit .. put it in the right place and it will be supported

I have also looked nearby and there are two ideal places, one close to the town of Woodbridge and on the river bank.. the other at Bawdsey Quay.. also on the Deben

at present both are already used as carparks , no other infrastructure required to accommodate motorhomes..Bawdsey Quay has public toilets and an outside water tap.. being upgraded soon.. if done at the same time as the renovations.. installing an Elsan point would not be much extra

At present both have 2.3mt height barriers. .. I have considered writing and asking SCDC about this but I know the answer will be, yes, we would like to help, but the barriers are in place to keep travellers out... take them down and they will move in..

Locations on map
Woodbridge ..

Bawdsey Quay

Another location is at Aldeburgh , on the sea road by the 'big shell' .. while no height barrier, overnight parking is banned.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Well, definitely doesn't suprise me if it's Irish !
The point being that the usual public sector/council/public body way of doing things beggers belief. Our small stop would have cost multi thousands if they did it, consultancy, h&s bullshit, over engineering and general wastage is obscen

It's not just because it was public sector.

If I remember correctly the one in question is at Portrush and the vast majority of the cost was in the distance that had to be trenched to get fresh and waste water services into position. If you do a search there was a thread about it a while ago and the cost was by no means excessive for what was involved.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back