new and need some advice (1 Viewer)

K

kimmi21

Deleted User
hello, we have had an autotrail apache for nearly a yr now,i have ms and its proving really difficult to get in the motorhome now.
we went to a show yesterday to look at a CPT motorhome with a lift and found that you have to be linked to electric to work the lift so u couldnt use it at the side of the road,the fixed double bed was far too small, there was no oven etc,basically,not suitable.
basically,my question is this,does anyone have an idea how we go about fitting a lift or ramps to enable me to get in the van in my wheelchair??
once im inside,i can just stumble around as long as ive got stuff to hold on to,im fine,its just a big problem now getting in and we cant seem to find a way around it.
PLEASE CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A SOLUTION?
many thanx kim.:cry:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Kim,

Can it not be hooked up to an on-board genny to power it.

You'll need a generator at some time anyway.Just thinking of a possible workaround.

What's the power rating / consumption of the lift?

There's plenty of experienced motorhomers on here that can give you advice.:thumb:

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
hi kim, when i am not on electric hookup i use a inverter to charge my electric wheelchair,and my car has a hoist fitted which uses the vehicle battery,the inverter uses leisure battery,also as been said a genny to power anything you want.as for lifts if you serch for disabilty aids on your pc there is loads of suppliers who will fit it for you,but they are NOT cheep so it depends on what you want,but anything can be modified now days at a price though.i had my hoist fitted in bradford and thought what a lot of money to have it made and fitted but its been the best bit of kit i have ever had.had no problems and its been in two cars,it also gives me independance as i can use it on my own,i wll let you know who they are if you wish.hope this helps.regards MUZ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

midlander9

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Dudley West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Five
Hoists and Things

Hi, my wife had problems getting into the cab of our van, she suffers from arthritus and other things, so I had a Turny Seat installed for her, not cheap mind you but well worth it.
The Turny Seat is an electrically operated passenger seat, which is operated via a small remote control just inside the door, firstly it loweres the seat out and down, the person then sits down and is able to operate the remote themselves to lift them up and swing them round into the cab until it parks in the normal position, it runs off of the vehicle battery and consumes very little power.

We have found this to be a nececity now, and although not cheap, well worth the money, hope this is of some help..

Mike and Pearl

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
hello, we have had an autotrail apache for nearly a yr now,i have ms and its proving really difficult to get in the motorhome now.
we went to a show yesterday to look at a CPT motorhome with a lift and found that you have to be linked to electric to work the lift so u couldnt use it at the side of the road,the fixed double bed was far too small, there was no oven etc,basically,not suitable.
basically,my question is this,does anyone have an idea how we go about fitting a lift or ramps to enable me to get in the van in my wheelchair??
once im inside,i can just stumble around as long as ive got stuff to hold on to,im fine,its just a big problem now getting in and we cant seem to find a way around it.
PLEASE CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A SOLUTION?
many thanx kim.:cry:
Hi kimmi i think it was me who put you onto cpt the only other way round it is to check all the motorhome sites for a second hand van :Smile:there are vans out there and you would probably get a good price for your van:thumb:eek:therwise it looks like a lot of money on getting your van to your spec:whatthe:good luck i hope it all works out for you:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi, my wife had problems getting into the cab of our van, she suffers from arthritus and other things, so I had a Turny Seat installed for her, not cheap mind you but well worth it.
The Turny Seat is an electrically operated passenger seat, which is operated via a small remote control just inside the door, firstly it loweres the seat out and down, the person then sits down and is able to operate the remote themselves to lift them up and swing them round into the cab until it parks in the normal position, it runs off of the vehicle battery and consumes very little power.

We have found this to be a nececity now, and although not cheap, well worth the money, hope this is of some help..

Mike and Pearl
I know someone who has one of these and if not for the seat his wife would be housebound as far as the motorhome goes. As stated not cheap but it's a lifeline to her. My wife is disabled and know that is what we would get if the need arises.

Joan and Dave

Last edited:

midlander9

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Dudley West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Five
Turney Seat

Hi Desco, yes the turney seat became a needy item for the wife otherwise she would have been housebound, we had the seat fitted in Alfreton by the turney fitting people, must say they did an extremely efficient and clean job, they originally fitted the Turny custom made seat to the lifting gear but the wife found this to be to low, so seeing that the main rotating and lifting platform was basically a flat sheet of metal I substituted our original passenger seat for the Turney one,just required drilling four new holes for the bolts,works a treat and the wife would`nt be without it,but as I said not cheap as your talking roughly £3500, but we consider it money well spent.
We did trawl the internet for other systems, which are about, but we still consider this the best for us.

Pearl and Mike

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
As with any lift, you will have to consider the weight. A Tailgate type lift will weigh about 120Kgms and the Turny seat 80Kgms. Fitting either will well eat into you payload and in some vehicles they may not be practical options.

Whatever you decide, the point I am making, which no one else has pointed out, is consider the weight and check you can safely fit it to your vehicle.

ezee

edd

Free Member
Aug 14, 2008
Funster No
Hi Kim
i have the Nirvana oasis low profile,excellent bit of kit now iv sorted out a few little problems, I'm fully dependent on my wheel chair 24/7, the nirvana is a better spec than the cpt which i looked at first its got all that i was looking for plus the lift can be used at any time as its runs of the interior batteries never had a problem with it touch wood and have been allover France/Spain
if you need any further info get in-touch i can put you in touch with the man i got it from
Edd

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Kim I cannot help with names and addresses of any companies that supply these but a friend we have made through motorhoming lives in yorkshire and is in a wheelchair, he uses a elicric ramp to lift the chair to door height,we met up at pickering show no hookup but he still operated his lift. so perhaps a search of the web will find similar for you to look at, sorry I cannot be more helpful but it shows these things can work of 12 volt. Peter:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back