Just booked Benidorm (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, just booked 35 days over Christmas and new year. Haven't booked euro tunnel yet, first time over the water with motor home but getting fed up with this weather. So, how long will it take to get down there? Will be going down the West side (Tonka's route) don't need to shoot down but don't want to take weeks. We are booked in to site for the 10th Dec, thinking of getting 10 am train so should be in France by 11 am. thanks Gary

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Driving back from Mabella last year took us 4 days using all toll roads and doing nothing but drive or sleep.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Archer
Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
So if I book tunnel say about 6 to 7 days prior that should give me time to get there it was one of those spur of the moment things now the worrying starts I thought If I get there in the morning that should give me about 4 hours be for first stop some where?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You won't want to hang around in France during the winter, it can be no better than the UK.
Northern Spain will also be cold as it is pretty high around the mountains on the way to Burgos.
Your 6-7 days should be plenty, have a good safe trip.

Reactions: kip

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
See you down there, where are you staying? Have a good trip :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Remember.. short days, you may not want to be driving when dark and especially in poor weather, Plus first time over there.
My route is based on me as the only driver, doing a couple of hours and a stop for tea (wife having a fag :doh:) then going on. Average driving around 6-7 hours a day.. I start about 9am and finish 5pm ish....
I prefer an evening crossing then stay near Calais ( Cite Europe mostly) Then your up and off for a first full day in France.
Winter travel I have 4 night stops but this could be cut to 3 if I wanted..

Take you time, dont worry, enjoy it...

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I prefer an evening crossing then stay near Calais ( Cite Europe mostly) Then your up and off for a first full day in France.

I would also agree with tonka, we've tried different times on the train but found earlier this year that crossing later in the day worked out best, although we stayed at Wissant. Then you can get a good early start next morning.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We do same as Tonka as well but if you get an early crossing you will ne down past Rouen for your first overnight...no bad thing.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Try and get a late Saturday crossing and get some kip at Calais for a few hours then you can have an early start on a truck-free Sunday to get a goodly number of miles covered on day 1 and a gentle introduction to MH driving over there.

Good point GW... Handy tip for a "Newbie" The section down from Rouen to Chartes is busy with trucks and so doing that stretch on a Sunday would give a nicer start to the trip.. (y)

OP
OP
Archer
Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all your reply's Im thinking of getting the 8 o'clock train as Im just under 2 hours a way just out side of Brighton get to the other side about 9 then pop in to that place you go to stock up with some food then get down as far as I can for first stop how does that sound Gary

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Don't forget you have to add an hour as Europe is ahead of the UK.
It will give 1 hour less to travel.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for all your reply's Im thinking of getting the 8 o'clock train as Im just under 2 hours a way just out side of Brighton get to the other side about 9 then pop in to that place you go to stock up with some food then get down as far as I can for first stop how does that sound Gary

8am train, 35 mins tunnel ? add the continental hour. You will be about 9.30 maybe even 10am to start.
As long as you dont hang about to much in the supermarket you should easily make Marbou or Vendomme aire as per my list.

OP
OP
Archer
Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for your reply's had not thought about the hour back to the drawing board:blusher:
Thanks again Gary.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Remember to keep topped up with fuel if traveling on sundays as most petrol stations are closed happy travels Rod

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back