pre-load card or just normal credit card for buying.... (1 Viewer)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Do you use a pre-loaded card such as Caxton or just buy on a credit card as you would in UK and what are the costs of each. Or do you take plenty of cash with you?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Nationwide Flex Plus and Select Credit Card.

I used my N/W credit card in Menorca on Friday and my rate with no fees was €1.401 to the £. I only filled up with diesel, cost was 75p litre.

If I oredered £500 from moneycorp with free delivery, I would have got around €1.37

Cash with Flexplus from machine was similar to cc rate

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I applied for and was issued with a Travelex Supercard.. but after reading about problems with it ..cut it up..

so just my bank Debit card and enough cash to pay for food and site fees for three weeks, + spending money.. ..

Debit card for fuel and emergencies..

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have Nationwide Credit Card - no charges for purchases but there is for withdrawals. Plus you get bank rate of the day and not tourist rate. I believe the Halifax CC is the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
image.png

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Same as Brian.

Halifax Clarity for purchases, Caxton for cash withdrawals.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Blows Caxton & Ukash into the weeds

Steady on.

There's only 3 cents difference today. An extra €3 for every £100 you change. Unless you are exchanging tens of thousands of pounds it really doesn't make enough difference to get excited about.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The app deals in 9o currencies around the world and gives the spot bank rate on all of them. You can also change back to sterling and/or keep multiple currencies on it
You can draw cash in the Uk with no charges Caxton cannot

"There's only 3 cents difference today" Aside from the other advantages above it is today & everyday

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right tell us in country bumpkin language how this works , is it a card or what , downloaded the app but it wants my phone number to go any farther, don't want to do that till I know what I'm getting into, it also looks as if it's linked to face book , if it is there's no way I want anything to do with it.
Thanks in advance

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Right tell us in country bumpkin language how this works , is it a card or what , downloaded the app but it wants my phone number to go any farther, don't want to do that till I know what I'm getting into, it also looks as if it's linked to face book , if it is there's no way I want anything to do with it.
Thanks in advance
Yes of course it wants your phone number, how else can it tie the app to your phone?
It has to send you authorisation codes to activate your account
I don't recall linking mine to Facebook as a pre requisite.

You get a virtual card immediately and you must order a physical card within the app. Mine arrived in 5 days

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes of course it wants your phone number, how else can it tie the app to your phone?
I don't recall linking mine to Facebook as a pre requisite
That's not really answered my question, I'm on iPad , what's it tiring to my phone which is android, where does the money come from or payed back.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't have to link it to Facebook, it's just an option if you're too lazy to type your name and address in.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You transfer money to it with your debit card. When you see a good rate you can change some of it to a currency of your choice or just leave it as sterling
image.png

My wallet just now showing how much I have just now in sterling and euros
image.png

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That's not really answered my question, I'm on iPad , what's it tiring to my phone which is android, where does the money come from or payed back.
That is no good on iPad. you will need to download the app to your smart phone from google play as I posted earlier

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A good feature is
If you misplaced your card,lost it or had it stolen or feel compromised in any way? you can block the card yourself within the app until it is resolved. No need to phone or email anyone.
When this card takes off en mass it will kill Caxton and the like. Competition is good (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am not knocking this thing just want to know how it works(n)

The whole system is based around the app, whether iPhone or Android, which is why it wants your phone number, so that your details are linked to your phone and can't be accessed by anyone else.

When you set it up you can register a debit card to add funds to it in the same way that you do with any pre load card. It adds the funds in Sterling and then you choose within the app which currency you want to convert it to. You can exchange your funds between currencies in the app whenever you want.

You can send money to other users, similar to how you can via Paypal. You can send money to people via the social media apps you mentioned. I haven't looked at how you do this though as I doubt it's something I will ever need to do. I assume that whoever you send the money to has to be a Revolut user as well.

It will issue you a virtual card number that you can use for online purchases.

If you want one you can order a physical plastic card through the app.

It probably does some other things I haven't found yet but those are the basics.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You can register multiple debit cards too as I have and I believe you can instantly transfer funds BACK to your debit card (y)
Is Caxton still sounding good? :LOL:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes confirmed and you can choose where to withdraw it to. So I'm going to stick a wad on it now (y)
image.png

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You can register multiple debit cards too as I have and I believe you can instantly transfer funds BACK to your debit card (y)
Is Caxton still sounding good? :LOL:

It is to me at the moment until I've given the physical Revolut card a good try out when I'm abroad.

One of the things I've noticed with my soon to be cut up Ukash card is that a good number of ATMs reject it.

I've never had that problem with my Caxton card which seems to be pretty generally reliable everywhere and also Caxton still come up with the odd great exchange rate occasionally.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Caxton still come up with the odd great exchange rate occasionally
YES and even then Revolut will be 3 to 5% better

One of the things I've noticed with my soon to be cut up Ukash card is that a good number of ATMs reject it.
Mine was OK but stopped loading it since they stopped live exchange rate updates

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
YES and even then Revolut will be 3 to 5% better

It is at the moment. Nothing to say it will stay that way permanently.

UKash was similar for a while but it didn't last. Now it's at best equal to Caxton and usually a couple of cents worse.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I just added another £500 and timed it as 5 seconds. As I can draw sterling here in the UK it may be I don't need any other cards on me at all anymore

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back