blow up awnings (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
this has probably been discussed before but we are thinking of buying one, there seems to be some problems with them being used in the sun for long periods, i thought awnings were supposed to be used in the sun and have never heard of limits being imposed on how long you can use them.
what advice has anyone who has one ?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think you'll find its just an unfounded rumour. The material may be affected by prolonged exposure to the sun as any material would but the tubes are well protected by matetial sleeves and replaceable if they get damaged in any way.
You should be able to use them as much as the non inflatable type.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I seem to recall there was an issue with earlier models but they sorted it. I can't remember what it was or anything sorry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Tents with inflatable poles or air beams are not a new idea...

The Igloo dome tent was around in the 1960s when I went camping with my mum and dad

here is one that is 50 years old.. looks good to me.. and the poles are not covered.
Broken Link Removed

Don't know if they are still in production, but I saw a Dutch family with one in France..

I mentioned this in another thread.. all awnings eventually fade and degrade in UV .. none are sold for permanent sitting or long term use in the sun..
some are better than others.. read the instructions and guidance for use..

I bought a heavy duty marquee for the garden.. after one season it had started to degrade .. the roof developed a tear along on of the seams..

Prior to that, another cheaper gazebo fell apart after a few months..

If you plan to use an awning all winter in Spain I would try and give it some shade.. either man made or natural

AS mentioned, the air poles in the Kampa I just bought are encased in 300 denier nylon .. so not directly exposed to UV .

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is it not illegal to blow up awnings????

Seriously, I saw someone struggle with an awning , It was not putting it up but trying to get it down, they needed a vacuum pump I think as the residual air was difficult to get out. It was going to end in a divorce from what I saw.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I put up an inflatable awning on a caravan about five months ago and was genuinely surprised by how sturdy it was.
It has been up ever since through various storms and gales and hasn't moved at all.

I am impressed (y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
[QUOTE="Seriously, I saw someone struggle with an awning , It was not putting it up but trying to get it down, they needed a vacuum pump I think as the residual air was difficult to get out. It was going to end in a divorce from what I saw.[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for the Kampa .. no issues deflating it. Biggest challenge is folding it and getting it back in the bag

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can only speak for the Kampa .. no issues deflating it. Biggest challenge is folding it and getting it back in the bag

I have long thought that they should put rings at various points on the awning with numbers on them.

You lay the awning flat and grab the two rings with number 1 on and pull them together. Repeat for each number pair and you end up with a neatly folded awning. I never had a problems with tents being a smartarse. But the number of times I have seen tuggers struggling to get an awning folded and rolled properly tells me a lot of people need this sort of help? :whistle:;)

Last edited:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I do know that they are not meant to be used for long periods in the sunshine!

How do I know?

My friend had one in Spain and then one day it went bang and collapsed!

13 months old and the maker said it had been up in the sun for longer than recommended.

So no support from the seller or the maker!

If you plan to use one in Spain for the winter, I suggest you reconsider!

:cooler:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I saw an inflatable tent in 2005 when we had our first trip to France, we were on a campsite and a Dutch couple drove in, got their tent out and pumped it up ... it was more 'house shaped' with a ridge roof running from front to back and straight sides from what I recall - I was fascinated!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You have to remember that any piece of inflatable aparatus will expand when it is hot - if it get very hot the tubes will expand more than they were intended and go 'poof' ... we have to be careful with inflatable canoes for the same reason when they're not on the water (which keeps them cool) and ensure that we let some of the air out when leaving them out to dry off in the sun.

As for the awnings and sun degredation - the nylon covering won't stop all the UV rays getting through and these will, over time, weaken not only the material but the tubes too.

I know people use thse inflatable awnings for months one end in Spain but I've also heard/read the reports for those who've had problems when damage occurs as the seller/manufacturer doesn't want to know, even if still under warranty, as they have been used outside the recommended parameters! It is unusual to hear of any standard 'pole' type awnings to have this problem.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

I have long thought that they should put rings at various points on the awning with numbers on them.

You lay the awning flat and grab the two rings with number 1 on and pull them together. Repeat for each number pair and you end up with a neatly folded awning. I never had a problems with tents being a smartarse. But the number of times I have seen tuggers struggling to get an awning folded and rolled properly tells me a lot of people need this sort of help? :whistle:;)[/QUOTE]
It is pretty easy - the instructions are quite clear and it is very logical - lay flat fold end in, fold over, again and roll it up. Sort of......

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is pretty easy - the instructions are quite clear and it is very logical - lay flat fold end in, fold over, again and roll it up. Sort of......[/QUOTE]

someone needs to tell the tuggers then :p;)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is pretty easy - the instructions are quite clear and it is very logical - lay flat fold end in, fold over, again and roll it up. Sort of......

someone needs to tell the tuggers then :p;)[/QUOTE]
Yes, but we aren't tuggers are we? That would spoil all our fun......:D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the nylon covering won't stop all the UV rays getting through and these will, over time, weaken not only the material but the tubes too.

that's a sweeping statement.. and generalisation..

I looked at several and they are not all made with the same materials.. the Kampa, has 300 denier polyester , the Vango has much lighter 150 denier rip stop nylon, Dorema use polyester, and also Ten Cate ..

put it another way..

Never having bought one, I suggest that inflatable canoes and boats are all easily punctured or damaged by UV .. but you and I both know there is a huge difference in quality between makes.. Gumotex are tough and I imagine very hard wearing and a different type of construction to other cheaper makes..

If we want the very toughest wearing and longest lasting awning we would by an ex Army mess tent.. it would last a lifetime.. but you would need a trailer to haul it..

When my dad took us camping, at one point he had an ex army tent.. the guy lines were like ships hawsers, the poles were heavy wood, about 2 in dia ..we could climb up the roof and slide down the other side.. Try that with modern lightweight tent..

so, when choosing an awning for touring, we strike a balance between longevity with weight and ease of use.. all is compromise.. as most things in life are..

In my opinion, the Kampa and others, will last many many years of 'normal' holiday use.. it's not designed.. nor advertised as a long term camp awning..

Just as Motorhomes and Caravans are not designed for full timing .. but for recreational use.. so to are awnings..

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As for the awnings and sun degredation - the nylon covering won't stop all the UV rays getting through and these will, over time, weaken not only the material but the tubes too.
that's a sweeping statement.. and generalisation..

I looked at several and they are not all made with the same materials.. the Kampa, has 300 denier polyester , the Vango has much lighter 150 denier rip stop nylon, Dorema use polyester, and also Ten Cate ..

put it another way..

Never having bought one, I suggest that inflatable canoes and boats are all easily punctured or damaged by UV .. but you and I both know there is a huge difference in quality between makes.. Gumotex are tough and I imagine very hard wearing and a different type of construction to other cheaper makes..

If we want the very toughest wearing and longest lasting awning we would by an ex Army mess tent.. it would last a lifetime.. but you would need a trailer to haul it..

When my dad took us camping, at one point he had an ex army tent.. the guy lines were like ships hawsers, the poles were heavy wood, about 2 in dia ..we could climb up the roof and slide down the other side.. Try that with modern lightweight tent..

so, when choosing an awning for touring, we strike a balance between longevity with weight and ease of use.. all is compromise.. as most things in life are..

In my opinion, the Kampa and others, will last many many years of 'normal' holiday use.. it's not designed.. nor advertised as a long term camp awning..

Just as Motorhomes and Caravans are not designed for full timing .. but for recreational use.. so to are awnings..
Agree with much of what you have said but I'm no sure why you seem to take umbridge with my supposed 'sweeping statement and generalisation' ... it will happen ... how long it'll take will depend on the quality of the materials, how long and where it's used ... so there was actually nothing wrong with my statement was there!:rolleyes:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So...
There's no evidence that the sunlight would affect a quality inflatable awning any more than it would affect a conventional awning so long as it wasn't a permanent fixture. Don't even know what the tubes are made of so ant comment on them. But if they are rubber ... covered tyres last for years ..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So...
There's no evidence that the sunlight would affect a quality inflatable awning any more than it would affect a conventional awning so long as it wasn't a permanent fixture. Don't even know what the tubes are made of so ant comment on them. But if they are rubber ... covered tyres last for years ..
No, the tubes aren't rubber, they're a type of plastic/pvc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with much of what you have said but I'm no sure why you seem to take umbridge with my supposed 'sweeping statement and generalisation' ... it will happen ... how long it'll take will depend on the quality of the materials, how long and where it's used ... so there was actually nothing wrong with my statement was there!:rolleyes:

No idea what you mean by umbridge.. I gave a measured and considered reply .. :)

Specifically talking about the tubes.. you said..

the nylon covering won't stop all the UV rays getting through and these will, over time, weaken not only the material but the tubes too... eventually

you don't know that.. it is an assumption, not a fact.

you also said

It is unusual to hear of any standard 'pole' type awnings to have this problem. Really ??
I have seen plenty tents and awnings shredded in the wind due to being UV degraded.

this is also implying that inflatable tube awnings were more prone to UV damage than solid pole ...

As I said earlier.. inflatable poles are not new.. there are plenty of Igloo tents still in use with exposed air poles, .. so I'm not too concerned about my Kampa degrading and falling down.. .. it will certainly see me out.. and perhaps my grandson..

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
vang do 2 'strengths' can't comment on durability as not used for long periods in the sun. fairly easy to put up and yes you need to use pump to extract all the air can easily get ours back in the bag. we have the drive away awning due to position of awning rail and door. 'corridor ' is handy for keeping grandkids bikes dry.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ahhh right found it.. kampa inflatable poles are made from tpu.(Thermoplastic Polyurethane)
If it's a Polyester-based TPU (which would make sense) then it has a high oil/solvent resistance, good weather (UV) resistance, enhanced abrasion resistance and high-temperature resistance coupled with enhanced mechanical properties.
Sounds good to me.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The one we bought at Lincoln ( a Kampa ) came with a large hand pump that sucked and blew depending on which end you attached to the awning.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

you also said

It is unusual to hear of any standard 'pole' type awnings to have this problem. Really ??
I have seen plenty tents and awnings shredded in the wind due to being UV degraded.

this is also implying that inflatable tube awnings were more prone to UV damage than solid pole ...

Our conventional awning is currently suffering from a little UV degradation :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No idea what you mean by umbridge.. I gave a measured and considered reply .. :)

Specifically talking about the tubes.. you said..

the nylon covering won't stop all the UV rays getting through and these will, over time, weaken not only the material but the tubes too... eventually

you don't know that.. it is an assumption, not a fact.

you also said

As I said earlier.. inflatable poles are not new.. there are plenty of Igloo tents still in use with exposed air poles, .. so I'm not too concerned about my Kampa degrading and falling down.. .. it will certainly see me out.. and perhaps my grandson..
Perhaps it's the way that you phrase your comments that makes me think you are taking umbridge ... :rolleyes:

The difference being that the inflatable tubes are pvc and will, regardless of what you wish to say, degrade due to UV over time, whereas solid poles don't usually degrate from UV rays ... I never said that the material itself was any better with solid pole awnings than inflatable awnings but the fact that the UV will get through to some extent will have an effect on the tubes. All I'm trying to do is make sure that people who buy these inflatable awnings, as opposed to a pole awning which is usually a bit cheaper, do so knowing the pros and cons and when they are meant to be used so that they still comply with the warranty.

I know that if I had an inflatable one and intended to use it for any length of time I'd certainly get a spare tube or two.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
When I was tugging I brought an Oxygen 2 believing it would be quicker to put up, how wrong I was. It still requires threading through and that particular model had a central pole for rigidity too, fiddly and put it away even slightly damp and the fungus grows rapidly, tried a jet wash to get it out with no luck. In my view once you know how to put up any awning they are as quick as each other, air or not, I would look at weights rather than type. My solution was to buy high wall windbreaks, you don't have the roof but you do get the privacy required to an area you want.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Packed size, weight, (no bag of heavy steel poles) ease of erection and quality were my reasons for choosing the Kampa.. I could put it up in less than 5 mins..

Down the years, I've had them all.. Cotton, Polyester, nylon etc.. Steel poles, Fibreglass poles and fibreglass rods... this has got to be the most compact and easiest I've bought.. and it is excellent quality.. and despite Mels doubts, I have no doubt it will outlast me.. I'll be the first person to shout if it lets me down..

if you are still not convinced.. watch the vid..

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Regarding that retro Igloo tent, I was really interested in the operator's manual; 'Erection Instructions'...........

Now that WOULD be useful.

Sorry :D:D:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Packed size, weight, (no bag of heavy steel poles) ease of erection and quality were my reasons for choosing the Kampa.. I could put it up in less than 5 mins..

Down the years, I've had them all.. Cotton, Polyester, nylon etc.. Steel poles, Fibreglass poles and fibreglass rods... this has got to be the most compact and easiest I've bought.. and it is excellent quality.. and despite Mels doubts, I have no doubt it will outlast me.. I'll be the first person to shout if it lets me down..

if you are still not convinced.. watch the vid..

I've actually had a couple of these inflatable awning - Vango Kelas to be precise (one standard, one tall) - but decided they weren't for us so sold them on (fortunately we'd bought them second hand/ex-display therefore didn't lose out). They can be easy to put up but you still have to go round pegging them down as you do with a standard awning which I think some people forget. I didn't like the size of them when not in use - they can be a bit awkward to fold and fairly huge once done so not easy to get back in the bag, this is mainly due IMV to them having the sewn in groundsheet, however Vango now do one called an Idris which has a clip in groundsheet and no inner sleeping tent so it keeps the cost down and also means you can clean the groundsheet once you get home rather than have to drag the whole thing out, so if I was going for one I'd be looking at this now.

If it suits the user's needs then by all means get one ...

OP
OP
chasthedagger
Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest, I just wondered what sort of life you could expect as these awnings are quite expensive and didnt want it going bang after a year or two.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back