Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, All can anybody tell me if I need to get a plastic driving licence to visit Spain as I only have the old paper one ? and also how do people manage for a long time abroad if they have no refillable gas system .

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Are you planning to stay on a site or wild park? Bottle gas is often delivered to sites by a truck on certain days rather than sites holding a stock.
GPL is available if you can buy a bottle from a car boot sale or Market in Spain. It is not financially viable to try to go down the official route. Use a Spanish bottle and regulator. CEPSA or REPSOL. This can be fed into a BBQ point if you have one to avoid having to change the regulator. Bottles an be picked up for about 10 euro and a regulator and pipe from a hardware store. Gas prices are regulated so there is no rip off pricing as you find with Calor.
You are required to have photo ID with you all of the time in Spain, so it is either a photo driving licence or risk losing your passport. Easier to carry your licence about. You could be asked for ID when shopping using a card. The Spanish produce their ID cards.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Do you currently have blue butane UK bottles ??
If YES.. Then obtain one of these ready,,,
Called a Spanish "Jumbo adaptor".. Few places on ebay or camping / leisure places sell them.
Simply unscrew the UK Butane clip on adaptor and replace with this.
When in Spain obtain a s/hand bottle from a boot sale, campsite noticeboard, "Rastro" like a s/hand shop etc
Either the orange REPSOL or the Silver CEPSA bottles will do as fitting are same on both.
Connect up and use in your locker as normal, your bulkhead regulator on the van is already compatible.

SAM_0962.JPG
SAM_0958.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Do you currently have blue butane UK bottles ??
If YES.. Then obtain one of these ready,,,
Called a Spanish "Jumbo adaptor".. Few places on ebay or camping / leisure places sell them. It is NOT a regulator.
Simply unscrew the UK Butane clip on adaptor and replace with this.
When in Spain obtain a s/hand bottle from a boot sale, campsite noticeboard, "Rastro" like a s/hand shop etc
Either the orange REPSOL or the Silver CEPSA bottles will do as fitting are same on both.
Connect up and use in your locker as normal, your bulkhead regulator on the van is already compatible.

View attachment 81219 View attachment 81220

Sorry but that isn't correct. It IS a regulator known as a "reguladora Salida libre" meaning when full open it allows full bottle pressure to be available. I have been using one all morning on a butane bottle for brazing, & they are normally used on propane or butane bottles when they are being used in place of acetylene ( with oxygen) for welding & burning.
Also , for us 'Spaniards' they are illegal to use on a Spanish motorhome. You can only use the fixed outlet regulators.
You are correct that it swops with the uk one.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sorry but that isn't correct. It IS a regulator known as a "reguladora Salida libre" meaning when full open it allows full bottle pressure to be available. I have been using one all morning on a butane bottle for brazing, & they are normally used on propane or butane bottles when they are being used in place of acetylene ( with oxygen) for welding & burning.
Also , for us 'Spaniards' they are illegal to use on a Spanish motorhome. You can only use the fixed outlet regulators.
You are correct that it swops with the uk one.

I stand sort of corrected then.. :) and amended to save any confusion..
But you get the idea.. My thinking is that this is a better, neater way than having a bottle stuck outside and connected in via the BBQ point...
ps... Guess where I bought mine from..... Yes, camping shop in Spain.

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
But you get the idea.. My thinking is that this is a better, neater way than having a bottle stuck outside and connected in via the BBQ point...

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We have the 2 x13 kilo propane bottlesfitted and intend to stay in or near Benidorm on a site for a few months all being well,It looks like buying a new hose and a bottle are the best way to go ,thanks to all who replied for the advice .:)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We have the 2 x13 kilo propane bottlesfitted and intend to stay in or near Benidorm on a site for a few months all being well,It looks like buying a new hose and a bottle are the best way to go ,thanks to all who replied for the advice .:)

You can get a Butane hose and that just screws on the regulator, simple.. Best buy here in UK as it's easier.
Benidorm... There is a dutch guy on Villasol that does a bit of buying and selling and often has bottles. There is a brick a brak market called EL CISNE on Thursdays and Sundays, often see bottles there.
If your on Facebook, there is a group called SELL YOUR STUFF SPAIN often bottles on there.. :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And just for the record, a 10kg(or is it 9kgs) butane CEPSA bottle refill is currently €13.95. Read that and weep in the UK.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
For R-V`s there is a device called "Extendastay" fits in the line downstream of the main valve from the fixed tank. Connect to the Propane cylinder and your good to go!.

I also have a regulator which I used to use for my (Gas) Barbecue. When I think about it it is frightening just what we used to lug around in the old R-V!!, Spare gas Bottle, Small washing machine, Fan Heater(s). the list seems endless. No wonder getting over the Pyrenees was an Effort!!.

Pete

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
And just for the record, a 10kg(or is it 9kgs) butane CEPSA bottle refill is currently €13.95. Read that and weep in the UK.

(y) Yes..
Guess who came back from Benidorm with 2 full bottles :)
Thats should last me till I go back over there.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes you are quite right.

They are 12,5kgs. even worse then .:LOL: & if you get them from a repsol shop or doorstep delivery they are only 12,80€ !

(y) Yes..
Guess who came back from Benidorm with 2 full bottles :)
Thats should last me till I go back over there.
Don't blame you. The price in the UK , as with most things, I find unbelievable. Even in France they are 26,80€

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Are you planning to stay on a site or wild park? Bottle gas is often delivered to sites by a truck on certain days rather than sites holding a stock.
GPL is available if you can buy a bottle from a car boot sale or Market in Spain. It is not financially viable to try to go down the official route. Use a Spanish bottle and regulator. CEPSA or REPSOL. This can be fed into a BBQ point if you have one to avoid having to change the regulator. Bottles an be picked up for about 10 euro and a regulator and pipe from a hardware store. Gas prices are regulated so there is no rip off pricing as you find with Calor.
You are required to have photo ID with you all of the time in Spain, so it is either a photo driving licence or risk losing your passport. Easier to carry your licence about. You could be asked for ID when shopping using a card. The Spanish produce their ID cards.

If you go in a MAILBOX shop in Spain they will laminate a reduced size copy of your passport main page which you can use as an I D. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back