"WARDENS" They who must be obeyed" (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
let me just say that l love CC sites and that I actually enjoy the regimental system that it operates if only because it controls " Those among us" that believe they can do what they want,the my money is as good as the next brigade.

However, I detest the term "Warden" I do not think it complements many of the people that accept the task/title I have met some wonderful ones that do a great and difficult job and a few that do live upto the title, Warden, but is it outdated? I have difficulty thinking of a Warden other than as someone related with Prison/Jail, I might add I haven't been in prison at his point,LOL,I even turn to my bride of 48yrs the wardens coming when I see him/her on the warpath, Oh Dear! what have I said!! But they do co e looking for those that are not following the rules,and rightly so but I think a better title than Warden would be more appropriate and perhaps demand more respect.

So what would you like the term " Warden" to be replaced with?

Deleted User
Continental motorhome door eh ??

old-lag-fletcher-ronnie-barker-ledt-fellow-prisoner-godber-richard-beckinsale-right-and-prison-officer-mackay-fulton-mackay-centre-during-location-shooting-of-porridge-at-chelmsford-jail-136396888356703901-150318124027.jpg

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Some of them friends, others hitlers, some w****s most I have met have been great I must admit and its a job I would like to try because of the life style. They are only doing a job.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
what about, jumped -up little hitlers, some are so far up there own ass its not true:madder::sicker:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Some of them friends, others hitlers, some w****s most I have met have been great I must admit and its a job I would like to try because of the life style. They are only doing a job.
I've never had a problem with any of them. Always walk into the reception office with a smile when we arrive and receive smiles back :)

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Not one to stay on the site so don't have much contact with them. We spend most of the time walking and seeing the sites. The ones we do speak to all seem pretty hapy go lucky and to be honest i wouldn't want to clear up some of the things I've seen so maybe entitled to be a bit grouchy at times. Warden does seem a bit of a hard word i guess.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
what about, jumped -up little hitlers, some are so far up there own ass its not true:madder::sicker:

I can assure you that for every difficult warden there are a hundred arsey campers :)

But there are far more campers and wardens who are generally decent people, considerate,
caring and friendly.

Do we get the relationships we deserve? :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Have nothing but admiration for these individuals who have to be all things to all kinds of campers..they are always on hand to help out ,and the only time I have seen any one of them take a person to task for wrongdoing it was because that person overstepped the line..in fact there have been times when if I had been that warden having someone shouting the odds I would have punched that persons lights out..they do a great job in my opinion and have never had an issue in over 40 yrs of camping in tents, caravans or motorhome..

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
I think you also have to treat them as you would expect them to treat you, I have heard so many people talk to them like they are objects and inferior in some way, its pretty disgusting, must affect their personalities after suffering it for so long.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We are having a very rare break in the UK in two weeks time. Booked onto a C&CC in Oxford. Preparing myself for the usual continental side door I have plus my blue hook up cable plus my lack of practice frog marching plus my very rusty salute. Hey Ho here we go again. Haven't been a naughty boy on a campsite since December 2014 at York. The commander and I won't be exchanging Christmas cards this year I'm afraid.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't understand these comments about continental side door. We don't stay on CC sites very often but since we have had our current van when we have we have simply been asked, in a polite and friendly manner, to pitch with the front nearside or rear offside (or the other way about, can't really remember) corner to the peg, whichever was most convenient for us. It obviously didn't matter which side our (continental) door ended up on.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Likewise.. were members of both and never had an issue with our van positioning on a pitch.. and we have a 'continental door'.
Also we've never met a warden we could describe as a little Hitler. . Some can be a bit abrupt but the huge majority are nice people trying to the right thing for everyone.
Having out of necessity. . Been on a park resorts site with no active wardens twice I am thankful they exist on the 2 main club sites and thankful for the rules too.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have not come across a horrible warden yet.
As said in previous post if there were no wardens there would be chaos.
Much like the haven sites.
We only go to them on weekdays and definitely not bank holidays.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
On the subject of continental doors, we had heard that you must park front end facing outwards if staying at the Sandringham Site and we had heard this from various sources. Well we stayed in September this year and that turned out to be a load of hogwash...like many of the stories we tend to hear about the CC, very much exaggerated.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Reading the above, all I can say is we must be bang unlucky..
Never once met a warden on a CC site who treated us as human beings let alone anything else
They really could learn a lot from those at the CCC sites

Thinking about it ( and about my brief membership of CC ), I would suggest the CC warders start off as nice people.. but having to deal with the .. I am searching for a suitable pronoun here.... for the sake of decency I will have to settle for..... 'people' who are in the upper echelons of the CC organisation, perhaps they just become tainted or loose heart with the world in general.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I am in full agreement that CC sites and their staff are generally very good, always a smile when you arrive (so long as you yourself are in a good mood yourself!) but yes you can come across grumpy individuals but we all have our off moments.
I like the title 'Site Ranger' for the guys that have to tidy up our mess and make it look appealing to visitors then 'Site Managers' for those that run the office and keep the 'Rangers' in check.
Many say they do not use CC sites for various reasons but I am not one of them as they offer good facilities to a standard I would hope for, my only gripes being lack of space during the summer period and fellow motor-homers that struggle to even say hello at times.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I like Ranger also, for some reason it reminds me of Yogi Bear and Boo Boo?

Arrrrr yes!

Group-characters.png

But sometimes...

download.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
like many of the stories we tend to hear about the CC, very much exaggerated.

or simply made up..

I've never had a problem with CC wardens being unfriendly or unhelpful.. in fact the exact opposite..

A prime example was when we visited N Ledaig CC site nr Oban, with our RV + trailer.. .. this was in July, we hadn't booked and it was very busy.

I parked at the site reception, and went in to enquire.. the lady at the desk said they were fully booked.. but would see if she could squeeze us in..
She came back and said follow her.. she had a pitch usually reserved for the wardens .. and a handsome pitch it was.. not a front row seat.. but fine for us..

Before we criticise or complain.. try walking a mile in a warden's wellies.. it is not an easy job.. at everyone's beck and call from early morning until bed time.. dealing with difficult campers.. no thanks.. I couldn't do it.. I'd end up arrested..

as you can see in the photos, a full site, but they gave us a pitch big enough to reverse an 11mt RV + trailer into.. with space to spare..

B0001333.jpg B0001336(1).jpg

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There are Like in all aspects of Society the good and the bad (and the Ugly). this applies to Camp-site Managers, Wardens, Owners Et Al; In all parts including France Spain and America. The vast majority of whom are Courteous and Very helpful.

I have had just 2 "poor" Experiences in 40 years of Membership of both organisations. BOTH involved the fact that I had a 32ft American R-V, and on both occasions I ultimately had to Get the CC Head Office Involved. There is a "perception" amongst Site owners, and Managers, that ALL R-V Owners are some sort of "Wealthy Posers". Which in my case at least is as far from the truth as you can get.! We where to some extent "persuaded" by circumstances into using an R-V, when after many years of Caravanning, it became impossible for my wife to comfortably use ours, "Made up" Beds was one issue, there where others to do with bathing etc;, taking away any pleasure in the use. The extra space and comfort of the R-V was what allowed us to Continue. We where turned away from 2 sites because of size, Sites we had used before under the auspices of a different "Warden". One "Warder" having the temerity to remark in my hearing "those bloody things should be banned".

Fortunately time having moved on and the Specification of "Euro vans" improved to the extent that we can now just about cope in (and afford to purchase) one. Which with the demise of my LGV due to AGEISM by Government (and the EU). and having tried a Caravan again for nearly 3 Years we are grateful for. We have returned to motor-homing And so far we have had very good experience with the small number of Major sites we have used. But I understand from some old contacts I meet, that the prejudice toward the "R_V" still exists in CC and CCC circles.

BTW. Site (or park) Ranger, is commonly use in the US. But seems confined to State and National Park Operatives Mostly.

Pete

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Reading the above, all I can say is we must be bang unlucky..
Never once met a warden on a CC site who treated us as human beings let alone anything else
They really could learn a lot from those at the CCC sites
That must make two of us, the reason we are no longer members and I vowed never to set foot on a CC site again. I want to enjoy myself when away not be bullied by a Sargent major, if they can't talk to the public in a civilised manner why do the CC employ them.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I always answer these CC Warden threads in the same way ,in the 20 yrs we have been camping ,caravanning and motorhoming we have never had a problem with wardens .They have always been very helpful with us,and we always use the CC sites.treat them as you expect to be treated.As Jim has said you try walking a mile in their wellies and see how you get on .We have seen some wardens taking some terrible abuse.I would say it's a very difficult job .
Brian & Jo

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I like the term Warden
Maybe because we where brought up on a National Trust park.
Where all the wardens looked after the beutifull Park(Clumber near Worksop)
Such a privalage growing up there.

Cant be an easy job as a campsite warden

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back