Windows 10 may be installed automatically from early next year. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You have to read a long way through this blog article from Microsoft to find it..

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

But it says;

Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a “Recommended Update”. Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue. And of course, if you choose to upgrade (our recommendation!), then you will have 31 days to roll back to your previous Windows version if you don’t love it.

You will have to be careful if you don't want it installing as windows now updates automatically for most people.

Also of note is that you can disable this default behaviour by setting your internet connection as metered.

If you are on a metered connection on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, then you have the option of turning off automatic updates. We strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats. If you choose to do so, we recommend manually checking Windows Update frequently, perhaps when you are on a non-metered network and consider the installation of all “Recommended” and “Important” updates. Windows 10 will not automatically download updates on a metered connection unless there is a security issue addressed within the update

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A useful warning. I have a pc running Win7 and I certainly don't want that updating to win10 as quite a lot of useful software won't run on win10.
Win8 or 8.1 I would update as 10 must be an improvement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I updated to 10 last weekend from 7 and I have to say it is much better and so far everything I had on 7 is still on 10 and what I have used works.
It took ages to upload and install but it works fine Iust admit I put it off for ages as I read so many bad reports
In my case I am happy with it and it works well.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Errr "Rubbish" How/why is it rubbish?
It is for a lot of people. Just one example.

It removes software components that you have had for years in previous versions of windows.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Not removed a single thing on our 3 machines my verdict? Superb!

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I have now installed it on about 15 computers in our office. Not 1 complaint. All work better than before (Windows 8.1 or Windows 7). They are more stable, intuitive and under the hood the virus protection etc it better.

I seriously recommend that everyone upgrades - it is free till next July.

The only caveat is that no one knows what MS will do once the whole world is on W10.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
On lots of Microsoft OS over the years, lots and lots of complaints, since Windows 10 I have noticed that not nearly - by a long mile- so many. I think it is the best OS they have done.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The big reason for me though is.....

If you want the free upgrade, you're not getting a choice of editions. If you're running Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 8.1, you're getting Windows 10 Home. If you're running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro, you're getting Windows 10 Pro. One thing to keep in mind is that Windows 10 Home will have mandatory updates. While that's a great safety net for the many users who don't bother to update their machines, there's always the chance Microsoft will try to foist a toolbar or some other silliness as part of an "update."

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
On lots of Microsoft OS over the years, lots and lots of complaints, since Windows 10 I have noticed that not nearly - by a long mile- so many. I think it is the best OS they have done.
I never upgrade until SP1 has been released and then only on odd number releases. XP was good, 7 Was good. I am expecting 10 to be good but I do have reservations due to updates, privacy and features.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Mucks up drivers and programmes I have run for years. Took me ages to sort laptop back to original.
May work for some, not all I'm afraid.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I never upgrade until SP1 has been released and then only on odd number releases. XP was good, 7 Was good. I am expecting 10 to be good but I do have reservations due to updates, privacy and features.

I am not disagreeing with you in any way, but when people say they are worried about privacy, I always wonder just what are they worried about. In this day and age almost any company/ government, could if they wished, find out what you had for breakfast and when you last passed wind. They don't bother, I guess, because, well it's just not worth knowing what " ordinary" people do, they just ......well do ordinary things, it's boring. If you look at a tooth brush on EBay and don't buy, the next webpage you open will have a toothbrush advert on it, they all know what you are doing, it's not only Microsoft in fact you need worry about them less than lots of others.

Just worry about the scammer, your bank details and those sorts of things.
Just my thoughts. (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That's because you have no idea what it is doing, YET.
Not to worried there have been to many scare stories what will be will be it won't be the end of the world for us as its not that important.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always do manual updates, turn off automatic updates & download the updates from a 3 rd party site. Not only can you download the updates you want also takes a fraction of the time to install.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am not disagreeing with you in any way, but when people say they are worried about privacy, I always wonder just what are they worried about. In this day and age almost any company/ government, could if they wished, find out what you had for breakfast and when you last passed wind. They don't bother, I guess, because, well it's just not worth knowing what " ordinary" people do, they just ......well do ordinary things, it's boring. If you look at a tooth brush on EBay and don't buy, the next webpage you open will have a toothbrush advert on it, they all know what you are doing, it's not only Microsoft in fact you need worry about them less than lots of others.

Just worry about the scammer, your bank details and those sorts of things.
Just my thoughts. (y)

I used to think like that. Please note I am not some paranoid conspiracy nut job. I just work in the industry and what I am seeing is worrying.

Companies can and do get hacked. Our accounts are cross linked. For instance if you are logged into face book and visit any web page with a facebook thumbs up widget facebook know you visited that site. They sell this information to advertisers. Advertisers have their own tracking network with tracking cookies that can't be deleted. Emails have tracking information in them. This list goes on and on and on. Now facebook may not sell your information with your name attached but it has been proven time and time again that anonymised data is not really that anonymous if you have enough of it.

It only takes one of those links to break and a lot of your information is out there. This information makes the bad actors better informed about you and this will make fraud attempts on you more convincing.

There has also been many cases where data that on the surface is harmless has ended up causes serious problems for people.

One example springs to mind. Target a U.S. based supermarket sent vouchers for baby products to a teenager who was still in school based on her spending habits. From the father...
“My daughter got this in the mail!” he said. “She’s still in high school, and you’re sending her coupons for baby clothes and cribs? Are you trying to encourage her to get pregnant?”"

Now this you may think is fairly harmless and on the surface quite amusing. But what if that girl was of Asian descent and had planned to run to avoid the honour killing? She is now dead because of a supermarket marketing tool.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

In the vast majority of cases you don't know you are giving them any information, you don't know what they will use it for and you cannot even imagine the possible consequences of it.

Windows 10 does a lot more sniffing and storing of your information, the automatic updates means they can install ever more info sniffing products without your permission. I for one am not happy about it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Always do manual updates, turn off automatic updates & download the updates from a 3 rd party site. Not only can you download the updates you want also takes a fraction of the time to install.
Have to disagree with you there. NEVER download from 3rd party sites. EVER!!!!

If you don't believe me look at what happened to Apple recently...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...o-sneak-malware-into-app-store-apple-confirms

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I do understand what you are saying @Gromett, so this is Windows, what OS doesn't do it, which is the "Better" OS because if none of them are any better ( and how would you know) then we are back to Windows and the world that we live in.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I do understand what you are saying @Gromett, so this is Windows, what OS doesn't do it, which is the "Better" OS because if none of them are any better ( and how would you know) then we are back to Windows and the world that we live in.

No easy answer to that one and I have had a few beers. An extreme response would be to go for Linux, BSD or chrome.

if you are tied to windows I would stick with 7 professional as it is supported until 2020. After that???

I do believe that OS/X has better privacy however this relies on you not using their cloud services at all which I am not sure it is totally possible to avoid.

My comments above were in response to specific points. I am not anti windows 10 totally. It is just I have serious concerns that are just too much for me so I will be installing linux on this laptop which is the last thing that I have MS running on.

Installing linux can be very easy and the culture shock is no worse than moving from win 7 to 8.1 or win 8 to 10. However for some people running things like Sage, MS office or Autocad it can be a bit tricky. If you just use it for email, web browsing and the odd game then Linux is definitely a viable option. It is more secure, faster, less resource intensive and respects your privacy.

For browsing there are additional steps you would need to take.... If you are interested I could explain more when I am sober.

But basically. Unless you need to my advice is not to rush to windows 10 so soon after release and look into the downsides. But long term I don't think people have much choice unless they are prepared to take a leap to some alternatives.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I've just spent pretty well all today backing up my desktop computer ( which runs Windows 7) and then installing Windows 10. I was hoping it might resolve a few issues I have.

When eventually Windows 10 appeared 3 things were completely unacceptable:

1. There was a big black border round the main screen display, the display was not centred on the ( oblong) screen and the icons along the bottom of the screen ( Start bar ) were barely visible as you could only see the top half of them. I use 2 monitors; the second one was similarly distorted but no black border and the bottom bar was clear.

2. The labels on the icons etc were " fuzzy" and not very comfortable to read.

3. All documents, Google searches, mail etc were similarly fuzzy and written in a font which I rather disliked.

I tried changing all this using both the monitor controls and the Display controls but with no luck. I tried Googling to find that this is a known " feature" and all that can be done is to make alterations to the register. This is well above my pay grade so I reverted back to Windows 7. This took only a few minutes and all seems to be as it was before. Now to find settings to see if I can prevent automatic upgrades when they come.

My OH upgraded his Windows 8 laptop yesterday and it gave none of the problems that I have had and seems quite stable and user friendly. It's about the same age as my desktop and both have plenty of space and processor power.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I've just spent pretty well all today backing up my desktop computer ( which runs Windows 7) and then installing Windows 10. I was hoping it might resolve a few issues I have.

When eventually Windows 10 appeared 3 things were completely unacceptable:

1. There was a big black border round the main screen display, the display was not centred on the ( oblong) screen and the icons along the bottom of the screen ( Start bar ) were barely visible as you could only see the top half of them. I use 2 monitors; the second one was similarly distorted but no black border and the bottom bar was clear.

2. The labels on the icons etc were " fuzzy" and not very comfortable to read.

3. All documents, Google searches, mail etc were similarly fuzzy and written in a font which I rather disliked.

I tried changing all this using both the monitor controls and the Display controls but with no luck. I tried Googling to find that this is a known " feature" and all that can be done is to make alterations to the register. This is well above my pay grade so I reverted back to Windows 7. This took only a few minutes and all seems to be as it was before. Now to find settings to see if I can prevent automatic upgrades when they come.

My OH upgraded his Windows 8 laptop yesterday and it gave none of the problems that I have had and seems quite stable and user friendly. It's about the same age as my desktop and both have plenty of space and processor power.
all those issues are related to using a generic display driver. would take minutes to download and install the relevant drivers for the display adapter

win10 is far more stable and faster than earlier versions. google is more intrusive than ms. even tries to track you and target adverts on this site

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have 2 Windows laptops, both Panasonic. I upgraded one from 7 to 10, it seems fine, the other, I reverted back to Win7. This is the one I use the most and I couldn't get on with 10 at all.
I'll make sure auto updates is turned off.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm so glad I don't have anything running any MS dross other than one machine at work doing one job that isn't connected to the internet.

@Gromett you can use OS X without any cloud services as long as you have some other means of backing up and as long as the machine is completely stand alone and you don't need it to be synced with any other device i.e. phone or iPad. In any event I think the cloud issues that have been identified in the past are security rather than privacy ones and most of them are down to people using stupid insecure passwords.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back