Vehicle registration (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Want to keep our motorhome and register in Spain but read somewhere you have to change the vehicle from right hand drive to left hand drive is that correct

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Want to keep our motorhome and register in Spain but read somewhere you have to change the vehicle from right hand drive to left hand drive is that correct
Lights etc but not the steering wheel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No you don't but it is a minefield & dependent on age as to difficulty. RHdrive pvc's can be impossible in some regions.
What is it, how old ?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If your van has the habitation door on the UK nearside then forget the idea now..
It wont get approval, As Gus says, it's a minefield and not cheap.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
eu whole vehicle type aproval as from 1st january 1993 allows any vehicle that has gained whole vehicle type aproval in any eu member state to be accepted in another member state for registration and safety standards . there are exemptions but m,homes arent one of them . spain as to allow uk type aproved vehicles to be registered in spain . might require lights etc changing but the entry doors dont matter . spain will allow them . you do have to argue about it but get annoyed and make a fuss .
for moderner vehicles the type aproval is eu whole vehicle type aproval .... not even country type aproval anymore.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
eu whole vehicle type aproval as from 1st january 1993 allows any vehicle that has gained whole vehicle type aproval in any eu member state to be accepted in another member state for registration and safety standards . there are exemptions but m,homes arent one of them . spain as to allow uk type aproved vehicles to be registered in spain . might require lights etc changing but the entry doors dont matter . spain will allow them . you do have to argue about it but get annoyed and make a fuss .
for moderner vehicles the type aproval is eu whole vehicle type aproval .... not even country type aproval anymore.

Interesting, have read previous on ex pat sites there was almost no chance that they would register as the habitation door opens out into the roadway. I know that every time I read articles about registering in Spain it always seems to be expensive or a right pain..

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Does Spain have an import tax for motor vehicles.
Ireland has VRT (vehicle registration tax).
Horrendously expensive to import any motor vehicle, had a client for our 2010 S320 cdi.... VRT into Southern Ireland was almost €12000.
Hence the reason I keep all our vehicles on UK plates.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hence the reason I keep all our vehicles on UK plates.
Ah, that's why I sold a motorbike to a lad in Ireland and he said he always buys them over here and registered them at his brother in Devon.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Does Spain have an import tax for motor vehicles.
Yes, price relates to age of the vehicle which won't necessarily match the UK value of your vehicle !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have friends that are always importing vehicles into spain . its not really that hard . you can get itv in spain or mot as we call it . if you read some of the threads and posts on here thjere are folk that do it for you if your struggling .
i personaly in the past have had uk reg vehicles itv,d in spain they would only give 6 months as after 6 months it should be registered in spain . but it satisfies insurance companies you are trying your best . just need a uk mot as soon as you hit uk.
trouble is so many get afraid of standing up for their rights and give in before they start.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back