Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
hi all we have just returned from our first trip in our first ever motorhome (2 nights) when we went to leave it would not start and there fore had to get a jump start. What type of solar panel does anyone recommend to trickle charge? Wattage etc?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
First thing is to get your new to you battery checked out. Ours unfortunately stands for weeks due to work getting in the way but fires up every time without any charge whatsoever ;)

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
As above and depends what else you are running on the engine battery i.e. alarm, radio etc. if the battery is ok then solar will keep a "good" battery topped up, I have mine on 40Watts but might go to 80 next year. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How long was your vehicle left @davibubb ?

I thought that I had a short somewhere and it turned out to be the radio that was turning itself on and draining the battery.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before spending on solar check why your battery went flat as 2 days is no time at all. When we're due to go away we always put the MH on mains for a couple of days beforehand to ensure the batteries are full - we do have a solar panel too but obviously if the weather hasn't been great then the input might not have kept them fully charged.

Does the battery go flat so quickly at home?

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
to early to be thinking about solar, something has drained your battery or your battery is shot See if it runs down when you are at home that quickly and if so get it checked(y).....OH nearly forgot hope you enjoyed your first trip away:):)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
............ likewise my battery on my last van went flat due to radio left on in the background ... I didn't know it had a faulty switch .. And then due to a faulty hazard warning light switch.

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
Only bought MH two weeks ago...... It hadn't been used in a while.....the kids had radio on abut over the 2 days...(even though I told them not to!!!! Lol)

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
Battery has been charged and checked and all seems ok!....... Somebody suggested using a 7w solar just to keep it trickle charging while not in use. Is this a reasonable option or a waste of time?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Did you leave your fridge on 12 volt after you arrived where ever you went?
It happened to me, combo of Fridge and Radio, only took 2 days and this on a brand new battery

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
No the fridge doesn't work on 12v at the moment......but that's another story!!!!

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Battery has been charged and checked and all seems ok!....... Somebody suggested using a 7w solar just to keep it trickle charging while not in use. Is this a reasonable option or a waste of time?
Don't waste your money.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Why are car radios so power hungry?
Had an old portable stereo that would work fine for a week on a couple of D cells but a car stereo will flatten a 12v battery in a few hours, in fact I think the TV uses less.
I quite like the radio, is there a less power hungry alternative available?

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
@daveansan - so a 7w won't keep it topped up during the weeks it's not in use?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If you're thinking of going solar don't mess about and get something worthwhile - 80w minimum but more if you've got room.

You don't tell us what M/H you've got or what existing battery setup so advice is going to be general but you need to think of a couple of things first then make a plan. There are several threads running on the forum on this subject but you should think about if you are going to be using electrical hookups all the time or spend time "off-grid". If the former your onboard charger ought to be sufficient but if the latter I would suggest a second leisure battery if you've got room to fit it first, then a solar panel. That solved all our electrical needs (although we don't have kids with their various gadgets needing charging!) and we are able to last for a long time without hookup. You should also invest in a battery master - keeps the engine battery charged from the leisure battery (on a basic van you use the solar to charge the leisure battery, there are other methods on more sophisticated setups).

A 7w solar panel - I presume you mean one of those briefcase type things - WILL keep an already fully charged engine battery topped up whilst the van is not in use provided it can get plenty of sun but in my opinion is no good for anything else. I speak from experience.

More info would help give more specific advice - or get along to one of the "meets" where you can learn everything you need to know (and lots you don't:ROFLMAO:)!

Happy motorhoming!

:welc:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Daviedubs said:
Dave, as Terry says above if you are going down the solar route get a proper one.
I have a 140W solar and on a bad day in the winter it might only put out 0.5 amp but saying that it manages to keep my engine and auxiliary batteries topped up from the leisure batteries using two battery master type devices while the motorhome is in storage.

OP
OP
D

Daviedubs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2015
midlands
Funster No
MH
just about to get one
Exp
im a newbie
The motorhome is Ducato based ci Carioca.....at the moment was just looking for the easiest cheapest way to keep the engine battery topped up in between use ( may only get one more weekend in it this year) next year when I get more time and the motorhome will be used more frequently I will be looking at fitting a decent size panel to keep the batteries topped!!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
those small 7w panels are as much use as a chocolate teapot. more a gimmick or toy useful for recharging AA batteries for a torch

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I had the same problem and had a battery master fitted to divert power from leisure batteries to vehicle batt. (plenty of threads on here about that). I would be amazed if you vehicle batt maintains charge for many weeks without substantial solar panels >80w but even then you need a battery master otherwise the panel will only charge the leisure batts. The only way I prevented my battery dying in less than two weeks was to disconnect the negative battery lead when I left the vehicle but the catch was then the alarm wasn't connected either:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back